Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Man O Lantern

The Week *After* Thanksgiving--A Trip Report

The Week *After* Thanksgiving--A Trip Report

We left Portland, Oregon early Saturday morning, Nov. 25 for Disneyland. The car ride wasn’t that bad. We were armed with three Gameboys, a DVD player, plenty of games and DVDs, and I had made each girl a play list of songs on my iPod for emergencies. My husband left the radio on the 80’s channel on XM while driving, so he was happy.

We stopped in Ashland for lunch, and drove past Shasta, straight to our hotel in Stockton for the night.

On Sunday, we drove til we hit Valencia, ate at In-n-Out for lunch, then again down I-5 to Anaheim. We checked into our hotel--The Desert Palms on Katella.

The view from our room:

Our suite:

I don't think the picture does the room justice. The remodel of the hotel is gorgeous. A lot of detail--new crown molding, marble in the bathrooms, the place was spotless. We'd never stayed there before, and it was a steal for an average of $70/nt. for six nights.

We unpacked, freshened up and hit Disneyland at 4. It was a bit dead for a Sunday afternoon:

We watched the Christmas parade, then headed straight for the Jedi Training Academy in Tomorrowland. Our Star Wars loving daughter didn’t get chosen to participate, but we knew how to do it next time. It was more of a recon mission.

Then we went on Autopia, since our eight year old was finally old enough for her own car, then I was desperate for IASW:

We took the train back to Tomorrowland to eat dinner at the Pizza Port and to ride Space Mountain:

We rode Buzz before heading across the way to watch Fantasmic. Only my eight year old had seen Fantasmic before. We usually skip it in favor of rides or fireworks. The whole family enjoyed it from the stairs between the two light towers. We had a great view--right next to the people who paid for the dessert buffet. Heehee!

We had a half-hour wait for the show to begin, so I took the girls on Pirates. They hadn’t seen the updates and changes before, and they loved it. I admit it’s growing on me, too.

After Fantasmic, we went on Mansion--it was empty. There were maybe 15 people in the chamber with us. Then we rode Splash twice. We got to stay in our log. Three times was pushing it, so we headed to Pooh, which was closed, then Big Thunder, also closed (kept breaking down all week), finally to Dumbo, which had NO line. Then we rode Storybookland, the Mad Tea Party, Alice, Toad, and Peter Pan before calling it a night.

The obligatory picture in front of the tree on Main Street.

All in all, a perfect first evening at Disneyland.
    Last edited by stinkerbell; 12-03-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Re: The Week *After* Thanksgiving--A Trip Report

Such pretty girls!

Can't wait to read more!

• Man O Lantern

Day 2--Monday, November 4

We woke up to rain, so instead of going to Disneyland, we headed up to Hollywood to play tourist there.

My husband accepts his Best Husband award:

While I pose with my new license plate:

The highlight for my husband and me was lunch at Mel’s Drive In from American Graffiti.

I’d been there before with my American Graffiti loving dad and then years later with friends for after-hours food, but it was the first time for my husband and kids. The kids thought it was cool that it was across the street from Hollywood High School. My Star Wars geek daughter loved the ginormous pics of George Lucas.

El Capitan and Disney Fountain:

We spent some time at Hollywood and Highland (huge Sephora) and in front of the Chinese theater. The kids found their favorite stars….figuratively and literally.

Then we drove through Beverly Hills, and down Rodeo Drive. We drove through the canyon and headed to Santa Monica Pier.

We all rode the carousel, and wandered through the closed rides. The view was beautiful and we were there for a gorgeous sunset.

We drove back to Anaheim for dinner and we were able to watch the fireworks in front of the castle. The place was D-E-A-D dead.
    Last edited by stinkerbell; 12-03-2006 at 06:16 PM.

• For You!

Loved it! Such great pictures!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• GO DBACKS!!

Claire, dont you just love the week after Thanksgiving. It always amazes me how much you can get done in one day when DL isn't crowded. Makes me feel more "merry and bright"! That's when we usually go for our Christmas fix. Wish we had been there this year so I could have finally met you! We wont be there till next week.

I swear your girls are just the cutest things ever!! Cant wait for the rest of your trip report.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• For You!

That was the scariest Chewbacca I've ever seen!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• love my friends

love your pictures makes me homesick for california

Friends for life

• Hello there

Blog Entries

great trip report! The pics are wonderful. What beautiful girls
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• love my friends

your daughters are adorable

Friends for life

• Man O Lantern

Day 3, Tuesday, November 28:

We headed straight for Indiana Jones because our youngest was finally tall enough to ride. It was a HUGE deal to her and she looooved it.

We rode twice, then headed to Splash and rode twice.

The older kids wanted to ride again, so I took Chloe on Pooh.

We headed to Haunted Mansion, then ate lunch at Riverbelle.

After lunch, we rode Pirates, then Indy again. The girls explored Tarzan’s treehouse, and we all went to the Gallery to see the Pirates display.

We rode Big Thunder Mountain,

then visited Santa at the Reindeer Roundup:

The smell was pretty bad and we didn’t want to decorate cookies, so we headed out toward Tomorrowland.

The story of our week. No lines:

We rode Buzz, then waited 20 minutes for the next Jedi Training Academy.

We held our collective breath as the selection started and almost right away our five year old was chosen.

I was freaking out because I knew it would break Cassidy’s heart if she wasn’t picked. Toward the end, she was.

Chloe was on the stage, Cassidy was right down in front.

Chloe fights Vader:

Cassidy fights Vader:

Chloe fought both Darth Vader and Darth Maul, Cassidy only got to fight Darth Vader, her hero. She was disappointed not to fight Darth Maul. He’s her favoritest bad guy. She had been practicing fighting him for weeks now. Seriously. She practices all the time.

Picture with their Jedi knight:

On a JTA high, we rode Autopia,

ate dinner again at Pizza Port, rode Space

and Buzz,

Family pic after the snoap:

My husband and kids headed back to the hotel pool and I headed to the Hearthstone at the Grand Californian to meet up with DMCA friends Grumpy4, sunnygirl and Anders.

Last edited by stinkerbell; 12-03-2006 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Adding pics.....

• love my friends

what fantastic pictures

Friends for life

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Clairebear, I'm loving the pics and the report! Glad you had such a wonderful family vacation

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Great report so far! And Im sad I missed you on Tuesday. Glad you guys had fun and sooo glad your kids got chosen for JTA!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Are we there yet?

No line for Dumbo?! Now that's a Christmas miracle. =) Your princesses are gorgeous and your pictures are wonderful! Thanks!
    What time is the 3 o'clock parade?

http://www.myspace.com/pduliere

What a great trip! Looks like you were having a blast. We have to try the Desert Inn.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast