Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Let's get dangerous!

Re: other track (music) on space mountain

Quote Originally Posted by *SallyStitches* View Post
    I like the new one waaaaaay better than the old D.D. track.The new one is just so awesome.. I get all pumped up when I hear it !
    Me too. When I went during the 50th celebration, I was so anxious to see what they had done with the ride. (since I was on pins and needles ever since they had closed it) The new song is awesome, and it definitely makes a lot of the ride for me. I'll feel like screaming just because of the music going along with the ride.

• I'm listening to KDROID

I was a big fan of the Dick Dale track, as I'd heard nothing of it being implemented when I rode in '97. I was surprised to hear music cue up, and afterwards I thought it was awesome. I am very biased to favor the Dick Dale music, and as such the new music ("techno-John-Williams" as my family calls it) just doesn't do it for me.

Thank goodness for the iPod... it lets me travel back in time to when surf rock ruled space. And also allowing me to choose my own soundtrack for any roller coaster I wish.

Speaking of which: I dunno if there was ever any consensus for the Rock-It Mountain track (though I did propose some Joe Satriani lovin' myself) but if there are any Nightwish fans out there, maybe they could testify to this:
    How awesome would "Dark Chest of Wonders" sound in Space Mountain? If you can find some way to listen to the track, do so, or if you can do one better and listen to it while actually ON Space Mountain, cue it up right before the third lift hill. That instrumental opening is near perfect combination of both rock and orchestrated music, and it really captures the attitude of the ride. For me anyway.

It may not fit exactly, but that's nothing that creative editing can't fix. Just an idea, if nothing else than for Rock-It mountain anyhow.

• Shredder

I have the 50th album myself and yes, it is indeed the Dick Dale soundtrack played throughout the Pressler era I believe, anyways the music almost never worked on the trains and would leave me feeling sad every time there wasn't any music, oh well, best to move on...

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• aka the scorpion eater!

I miss the Dick Dale music on Space Mountain... I like the new music so much better but what would really be good is the whole day and night idea which sadly probably wont ever happen, but during the day they would have the music that plays now (the technoish galactic sounding music) and then at night they would have the Dick Dale track and the added effects... I saw the video taken from the grad night with the effects and music and personally if Disney goes with the song that I heard on that video... Im gonna vomit... theres so much better they could use... although the Dick Dale track would bring back memories from 1998 and was just as much a part of Space Mountain history... from what i heard when my mom went to the park and they first opened Space Mountain there was no music in it... and I remember the Dick Dale track being the first time i heard music on a roller coaster like that so its still a piece oif Space Mountain History since it probably was the first song ever to be put on a Disney Coaster! Although I could be wrong!

• AFI And MCR Fanatic

I would take the D.D soundtrack over Hoobastank anyday.

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Mad View Post
    The Dick Dale version is actually a piece of music called "Aquarium" from Carnival of the Animals by Camille Saint-Saens. I was very familiar with Aquarium the first time I heard the Dick Dale soundtrack and I have to say, it was one of the coolest things I had ever heard.
    You can hear the Orchestrated version of the song Dick Dale was inspired by in Epcot at the World Showcase in the French Pavilion theatre thing.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• SimplyMad about SimplyMad

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Mad View Post
    The Dick Dale version is actually a piece of music called "Aquarium" from Carnival of the Animals by Camille Saint-Saens. I was very familiar with Aquarium the first time I heard the Dick Dale soundtrack and I have to say, it was one of the coolest things I had ever heard.

I do like the new piece of music for Space Mt. but it doesn't "tell" the ride layout quite as well as the other.
    I remember the first time I heard the Dick Dale version while riding Space Mountain with my wife. We're spiraling through the darkness of space, and she's yelling at me "OMG! OMG! Do you know what this is?! It's Saint-Saens!"

I thought the Dick Dale soundtrack flowed well with the ride. The music would rise and fall in synch with dips and turns the ride vehicle made. What a great experience.
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/svq6euz0zgrn5i44.png[/IMG]

They have both the old and new soundtrack to SM on the 50th album. And the RockIT Mountain song, is also very good. I pick which one I want to listen to (Rockit, D.D.-'old', or Daytime-'new'), and when the ride starts going, I hit play on my iPod, WOOHOOO!
    The more people I meet the more I like animals. -Unknown

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by tamasurvivor View Post
    I remember the Dick Dale track being the first time i heard music on a roller coaster like that so its still a piece oif Space Mountain History since it probably was the first song ever to be put on a Disney Coaster! Although I could be wrong!
    That historic record would go to Space Mountain in Paris (AKA Discovery Mountain) which opened in 1995. Discovery Mountain had the first synchronized on-board soundtrack on a roller coaster. For that attraction, composer Steve Bramson created a WONDERFUL original orchestrated score that was very dynamic. He fully admitted later on that he was trying to match some of the more cinematic styles of music to match the storyline of Discovery Mountain. Disney park attractions after all, tell a story much in the same way that movies do, so why not have the same music?

Personally I still think that Paris HAD the best score of any of the Space Mountain. The music had recently been changed to another (yet separate from DL) Giacchino score. "Impressions of Space Mountain" is one of the best pieces of park music ever written IMHO. If you want to hear some of the samples head over to http://www.stevebramson.com/ - Click on the Music Link and then Click on Adventure for some of the Paris clips.

Then back in 1995 some ideas were being pitched to refurbish Space Mountain here in Anaheim to bring it up to the quality of the show in Paris. Some people wanted to transplant Discovery Mountain verbatim from Paris - complete with loop and launch. It would have cost a fortune - so it never happened, but one thing that did make its way over was the on-board soundtrack.

I don't know for sure who picked Dick Dale for the soundtrack. I can say that it was under development around the same time that Pulp Fiction came out - so I wouldn't be surprised if the inspiration came from Pulp Fiction's theme song (Miserlou - by Dick Dale). The Dick Dale Soundtrack premiere at DL's Space Mountain in 1996 when FedEX took over Sponsorship - at which point the video screens (with Mario Lopez!) were added to the queue.

I had sort of a love-hate relationship with the Dick Dale music. On one hand I loved the fact that there was music SYNCHRONIZED with a coaster ride - but on the other hand I never liked the Dick Dale track. I like Dick Dale, and I think it was really cool when he played on top of Space Mountain for the New TL party - but I never really felt it matched with the attraction. It didn't match the story. It turned Space Mountain into a music video - instead of a movie. Disney Attractions should be about the story - the entire experience with all the parts working together to create an overall feel. With the Dick Dale track I think the music took center stage and overshadowed everything else.

I'm happier with the music they have now. The Giacchino track has a good cinematic feel to it - much like the Discovery Mountain track. It isn't just a two minute radio single like the DD Track - it's actually part of a longer more elaborate suite of music and I really like that. I think it also better exudes the feeling of Space Mountain. I really like that it includes a lot of retro feeling - which sort of matches the quaint corniness of Space Mountain today.

The music today is much better than the Dick Dale track - but still not as good as Discovery Mountain.

And heaven forbid they had to muck it up with even more Rock Music. Space Mountain ≠ MTV. They might as well change the music in Indiana Jones.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Personally I still think that Paris HAD the best score of any of the Space Mountain. The music had recently been changed to another (yet separate from DL) Giacchino score. "Impressions of Space Mountain" is one of the best pieces of park music ever written IMHO. If you want to hear some of the samples head over to http://www.stevebramson.com/ - Click on the Music Link and then Click on Adventure for some of the Paris clips.
    They play some of the Space Mountain Paris tracks when that orgazmatron is working (old rocket jets), and listening to that link, it's (the light speed track) probably the biggest ripoff of John Williams' E.T. score I've ever heard.

The new CA track sounds like "PARTY IN SPACE!!! PARTY IN SPACE!!!" which is actually very silly hokey cheesey sounding.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12