• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Before the new lighting towers....

What did they illuminate Fantasmic! with? I have been wondering that for a while. so does anyone know what they used?

• Banned User

Re: Before the new lighting towers....

The lighting towers that are used now were installed with the rest of the show's equipment back in 1991/1992. They created those massive lift mechanisms around the shore line and on the island as well. They also built a huge subterranean basement on Tom Sawyer Island. I am sure they have been updated since then, but they came along with the show when it premiered. It was the current lighting poles along Main Street and the rest of the parade route that were installed before Light Magic premiered in 1997. I think that prior to their installation, the sound system and lighting systems were much less complex and there weren't nearly as many of them as their are now. They can do pretty much anything with it now.

But again, those massive Fantasmic rigs came along with the show. I guess the question would be if they have upgraded the sound system since then?

• Banned User

This is a link to some pictures of the construction. You can see how they created that terrace-type seating arrangement that now exists.

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-PID505900-505901.asp

• Minion

Towers have always been there since the beginning.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Before the new lighting towers....

Wow, I always thought those towers were recently installed like in 2000 or something, atleast that is what I've heard... I recall seeing pictures somewhere else that had current pics of the towers being placed in the ground so they can rise up... anyways, thanks for the info everyone!

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

nevermind, I mistaked this picture for the lighting towers them selves...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Anyone know what moving head fixtures they use?

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

Thanks DisneyMickey for the link to the construction photos. Those were fun to see.
    The Mur

• Still lost in Neverland

The light towers were built for the show. There was nothing like that before Fantasmic debuted. The sound system has been updated more than once since the show opened. The terrace was built around the light towers and there were changes made at that time. Before the Terraceing was done, the whole area was just flat and banked and you had to sit crosslegged on the ground. I was there for the first show and it was very crowded and confusing as people had started to stake out sitting places around 1pm or so. By showtime the area was a madhouse. The show went off though and the cheer from the crowd at the end was deafening. Fantasmic forever changed the look of New Orleans, Frontierland and Frontierland around the river forever.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    Anyone know what moving head fixtures they use?
    Really... and I mean really old Vari-Lite fixtures. Part of the reason the show is so expensive is because of the extensive set-up procedures the VLs must go through before the shows begin.
    Fantasmic! could certainly use an updated fleet of moving lights, such as the newly-released VL3500. Those suckers are so bright that they could use half the amount of lights on each tower.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Really... and I mean really old Vari-Lite fixtures. Part of the reason the show is so expensive is because of the extensive set-up procedures the VLs must go through before the shows begin.
    Fantasmic! could certainly use an updated fleet of moving lights, such as the newly-released VL3500. Those suckers are so bright that they could use half the amount of lights on each tower.
    and those are made by High End right? I have been looking for some moving yokes myslef... and contacted high end, I ended up going with their scanners rather than the yokes, I purchased 1 for now... but a trackspot, pretty wicked effect too...

Nope. High-End Systems makes the WholeHog3 lighting control system used by Disney among others (ToT is run off of ONE of those boards).
    Vari-Light manufactures moving lights only. They're preferred by Disney for permanent installations, I believe, but there aren't too many needs for them (Hyperion Theatre, and MAYBE Fantasyland Theatre, Fantasmic!, it's a small world holiday).

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    It was the current lighting poles along Main Street and the rest of the parade route that were installed before Light Magic premiered in 1997. I think that prior to their installation, the sound system and lighting systems were much less complex and there weren't nearly as many of them as their are now. They can do pretty much anything with it now.
    I've been told that the sound system was most recently upgraded for Parade of Dreams. That's when they changed from having simply "zones" to having individual control of speakers, allowing "house" sound to follow the different audio on each of the Parade of Dreams floats.

I don't remember when they added the speakers to the non-parade portion of the Hub... it was probably either for the "Remember... Dreams Come True" fireworks show or for the cavalcades that would stop in front of the castle (early 2005, before Parade of Dreams debuted, but after Parade of the Stars had ended)

Light Magic did bring about the construction of the Small World Mall towers. They had to house the projectors for the screens on the floats in Light Magic. On Main Street, they just hid the projectors in the 2nd story facade windows. Light Magic also brought a widening of parts of the parade route I believe. But I think the lighting rigs in the Hub, Main Street, and Town Square existed long before Light Magic.