Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: Candlelight Proposal

I think this is a great idea!

There are a lot of people who can't go that week and extending to have a version
    in the Hyperion is a nice way to keep the traditional one but giving others an
    opportunity to see this.

This is made up of high school kids, they don't get paid and they can't corridinate this for more than 2 nights. The only problem with the main street location is the trees block most of the stage from people who are further back. If you want more people to be able to see it then it needs to be in a more open area.
    They should move it to the Fantasmic stage at Rivers of America, or just have it in the hub in front of the castle.

I think it's fine where it is, I have not had any problem getting a view of it for the past couple years. you just have to plan for it.

• Banned User

WDW is made up of high school kids as well and they do fine. btw candelite processional was a tradition at WDW from the time it opened. it was at the MK before epcot opened and I believe it was held in the tommorrowland theater a few years. but it was always more than just one weekend

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    It was gonna be but you ruined their surprise!
    Go ahead with the Proposal! We're all wondering who the special someone is!
    No doubt, we'll all be surprised anyway!!!!!

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    WDW is made up of high school kids as well and they do fine. btw candelite processional was a tradition at WDW from the time it opened. it was at the MK before epcot opened and I believe it was held in the tommorrowland theater a few years. but it was always more than just one weekend
    One thing I would add is that at Epcot one really cannot call it a processional. It is a beautiful presentation, but I cannot say that just because the performers walk in makes it a processional. I do believe even though it is really not a processional, Epcot makes a gorgeous setting for the concert.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I don't know how they manage to keep a volunteer choir for several weeks in WDW, unless they're paid.
    I think it would be a hardship to ask the choir to show up for more than a weekend.
    How about a compromise: Hold Saturdays shows in Town Square and Sundays in the Hyperion?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by superphred View Post
    This is made up of high school kids, they don't get paid and they can't corridinate this for more than 2 nights. The only problem with the main street location is the trees block most of the stage from people who are further back. If you want more people to be able to see it then it needs to be in a more open area.
    They should move it to the Fantasmic stage at Rivers of America, or just have it in the hub in front of the castle.

I think it's fine where it is, I have not had any problem getting a view of it for the past couple years. you just have to plan for it.
    I'd have to second this. I know they run multiple nights at WDW, but they advertise in the choral journal for groups to come from across the country. In Southern California, I think they're running low on quality church and school groups that can afford to learn and memorize the 10 or so songs for the performance. You might get a larger draw if you lowered the standards, but that performance would not be up to Disney standards.

And the groups that just performed would not be able to do more than one weekend. Most of the singers were not Disney employees, and most of those choirs will have their own holiday performances on the following weeks. I think that's also the reason that Candlelight is early in December. If you were to wait until the third or fourth week, ALL of the church choirs would be busy, and ALL of the school choirs would be out on break.

I think you're stuck with one weekend, max.

• insufferable know-it-all

I'm surprised to say that I liked your DL on Saturdays, DCA on Sundays idea. Mostly, of course, I prefer DL for Candlelight, and if it went to that concept, I'd still probably plan on the DL version of the show. BUT... it expands the opportunity for less motivated people to get to see it, which means extra magic all around.

Of course, I'd be all for doing it all month long just in DL too!

Honestly, I'm sure they could find the choirs to do it. It's not as if WDW uses the same choirs each weekend. I'm sure they could suck up more than the number of voices they needed to fill in by auditioning for a volunteer "AP" choir.

Oh don't tell me they couldn't/wouldn't! Worked for the Mouseketeer event!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    I'm surprised to say that I liked your DL on Saturdays, DCA on Sundays idea. Mostly, of course, I prefer DL for Candlelight, and if it went to that concept, I'd still probably plan on the DL version of the show. BUT... it expands the opportunity for less motivated people to get to see it, which means extra magic all around.

Of course, I'd be all for doing it all month long just in DL too!

Honestly, I'm sure they could find the choirs to do it. It's not as if WDW uses the same choirs each weekend. I'm sure they could suck up more than the number of voices they needed to fill in by auditioning for a volunteer "AP" choir.
    I'm sure out of 600,000 we'd find some amazing voices. The thing that got me thinking that maybe it was harder to find singers was seeing the numbers drop from just 10 or so years ago. It used to be 1000 voices, and even that Disney Employee choir looks quite a bit smaller than it used to be. If Disneyland were to market the idea, they might get a few more choirs from outlying areas who would want to make the trip for a weekend. How many shows does WDW have?

And finding the singers isn't going to be the problem. Finding the choral directors who want to dedicate several rehearsals to learning and memorizing music that they probably won't use in their holiday concerts is more problematic. My kids used to work their butts off on that music, all while having to memorize another 8 or so pieces for their Winter Concert.

And the draw for the directors isn't what it used to be. Someone might correct me on this, but the talk when I first sent tapes in was that the director's meeting used to be in Club 33. Others said it was in the Golden Horseshoe. My first meeting was in the Plaza Pavillion after hours, and they provided a gourmet meal...everything was very first class. The last year we participated (before I switched schools), they had moved the meeting to a small hotel room, then moved us again because they needed the room for something else. This was the same year they moved to the Fantasyland theater. I was hearing gripes and complaints of some of the directors of some really top notch choral programs. Many said they would not be back the following year.

So...if they can sell the idea to the directors, I think you're right. You might be able to get two weekends. But as you hit that second week of December, most high school programs will have a concert, and the following weekends are big for the church choirs. If they are still having performances on the third weekend in December at WDW, I'd be shocked.

And...to add to the mess, choral music in Southern California is not what it is down South around Florida. California has come back a bit since prop 13 years and years ago, but several of our high schools have cut choral music entirely. Others spend time on easy music and fail to teach the kids musicianship and how to sing well.

And don't get me started on the churches. When was the last time you SAW a church choir in Southern California? It's all praise bands now. Most of the large church choirs that participated in the 60's and 70's have vanished. It's all guitars and keyboards now.

Sorry for the long post, but choral music is slowly beginning to disappear in Southern California. Here's hoping that our state will continue to support these programs in our schools, or it might vanish altogether.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12