Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Fate of Old Ride Vehicles (Long Post!)

I guess this is an admission to a somewhat "morbid" fascination: what happens to all those poor old ride vehicles? I'm thinking of all those Skyway buckets (both the first and second versions), Peoplemover cars, and that seemingly infinite train of Atomobiles from Adventure Thru Inner Space.

Are they chopped up, melted down or recycled? Maybe. Set out to rot in the desert sun like all those "ghost airships" of retired aircraft? I wonder. Or, are they just unceremoniously dumped, intact, in some landfill somewhere? Actually, in the case of the Atomobiles, I think I read that they were buried in Mexico!

Well, I guess what strikes me about the "landfill theory" are two things: first, just the logistics of actually disposing all of that stuff someplace intrigues me; and second, and perhaps more strong, is the utter sadness of such a "interment". I know, there are millions of dead automobiles that have "passed on" -- stripped of any viable parts, crushed and melted down. That's honorable I suppose.

I think I saw where one of the Peoplemover cars actually did make it to a happy retirement in someone's backyard; maybe a nostalgic Imagineer has adopted some other orphan of "progress". I always imagined an Atomobile as a keen "loveseat" (albeit with some retrofitted cushioning) in a living room! And, I've seen a few things auctioned off, such as some Space Mountain rockets.

Still, I can just imagine that forlorn yellow Skyway bucket out there somewhere, sighing with a legion of happy memories, or that blue Atomobile still resonating in a "mysterious darkness" behond the limits of "normal magnification"; and that's to say nothing of the Peoplemover cars: perhaps their speakers yet crackle, reminding no one, save a curious crow or spider, to "remain seated at all times".

Alas, this is neither rant, nor query. Simply a rumination, perhaps an elegy.

I feel better now!

• Comin' at ya!

Re: Fate of Old Ride Vehicles (Long Post!)

Man I would kill for an Indiana Jones retired vehicle....If there ever is one! Great post
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

A old rocket jet, PM vehicle and (I think) a Skyway bucket are in the gift shop after the exit of BLAB. The rocket jet is a rack and the PM vehicle is the counter.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
    Man I would kill for an Indiana Jones retired vehicle....If there ever is one! Great post
    You wouldn't be able to go into your yard, it would stake out its territory and go rogue, killing anyone who strayed near it.

Those things are unpredictable and dangerous, the CMs fear for their lives around them.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• No marbles to begin with!

Landfill = buried treasure, for me at least if they dumped them there. Imagine a whole ride's worth of vehice in one. Nostalgic jackpot! I would die happy if I found such a pocket of history in a land fill.

The Indy transport would be something quite nice to have. Maybe someone could convert it into a real car and drive it around.
    My campus elevator smells like burned hair and won't drop faster than the pull of gravity, no matter how much I scream.

• Comin' at ya!

LoL

• Senior Minion

There used to be a member here who was able to acquire an older Space Mountain rocket during the refurb. It was won on Ebay. He had it in his avatar.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 01-31-2007 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Typos ugh!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Comin' at ya!

wow, lucky guy

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

i would love to get my hands on a doombuggie
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

EBay = Where DisneyLand strtegically and painfully milks more from you
    Each emotion is a different flavor. What flavor do you like?

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

www.mousesurplus.com and disneyauctions are two places it goes and ebay as well.

• Zero Blockout Dates

http://stores.ebay.com/Mouse-Surplus

http://www.mousesurplus.com/

Link to a fun article about salavaging old Disney rides and props fpr Mouse Surplus. Some interesting pictures of how Disney treats this stuf once they've got no use for it. http://www.crazedfanboy.com/spotlight/salvage.html
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

The "Eat" Ticket commissary backstage is made to look as if it is a warehouse where all of this stuff is stored, and the effect is really striking.

I'd like to see Disney put the defunct parts of Disneyland on display at the Disneyland Hotel in a similar way.

• Drunk On Disney

Interesting stuff about the "Eat" ticket. I have never head of this! I have a seat from Alien Encounter that I bought from Mouse Surplus:

I cleaned it (it was FILTHY) and then put a couple coats of spray paint on it:

I don't know what to with it now, so I just have it leaning against the wall (next to a seat back from Pittsburgh's 3 Rivers Stadium.)

Anyone have a suggestion for a good way to display it?
    Last edited by Guy Hutchinson; 12-05-2006 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Photo didn't show up.

I have heard the subs from WDW are corroding away on the property except one thats at Castaway Key. One of the giftshops at DL had a peoplemover and Skyway Bucket hanging from the ceiling but I dont believe they were still there over Thanksgiving. I have seen several things on Ebay including several cars from Mr. Toads Wild ride (WDW), Space Mountian rockets as mentioned, a ship from the Peter Pan ride, a couple of boats, I want to say one from Small World and one from Pirates of the Caribbean, and a Monorail Red segment. There is rumor that they might bring back the PM at DL so it makes me wonder if the ride vehicles are sitting in storage somewhere.

Steve
    Last edited by svickersart; 12-05-2006 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast