Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Epcot CM

Lifetime Pass to Disneyland

Has anyone read the amazing story on Jim Hill Media (don't close the page just yet!) about the first guest at Disneyland?? It is really amazing, and I am so jealous!

This guy stayed up from 2am until the park's opening on July 18, 1955, just to be the first guest inside Disneyland. Apparantly, because he had college that day, he used the bathroom and left .

The really amazing part of the story is that this guy was contacted by Walt Disney Productions and awarded a lifetime passport to the Happiest Place on Earth - not to mention the parks at Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort Paris. The pass doesn't get him into Tokyo Disney Resort or Hong Kong Disneyland Resort though.

Don't you think that is amazing? Access to Disneyland, Disney's California Adventure, the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios? (Well not so much Walt Disney Studios) Just for staying up from 2am?

But tragically, the man lives in Utah and apparantly doesn't get around much. It didn't say anything about him visiting Paris, but he was mobbed for autographs at a recent trip to Walt Disney World for being the first paying guest at Disneyland. Wow. Impressive.

Is there anyone else (apart from ex-suits, suits or Disney Legends) that hold lifetime passports? And any thoughts on why the pass isn't good for Hong Kong?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• CM for 4 years!

I would pay a lot of money for one of those. (A lifetime pass that is)

• Minion FOREVER!

Yup, read the story also. Think it's neat. Funny that the story says that he actually
    didn't get to ride anything since he had to go right back to Long Beach to be back in
    time for his classes.

I think it's neat that they gave him the pass. BTW. does this mean anything for the first
    paying customer on the actual birthday come July? Does anyone know? Hmmm... probably
    better that we don't know until AFTER July 17. :-)

• insufferable know-it-all

On July 17th, the press day, my grandmother, then the city editor of the San Fernando Sun (or somesuch name, still in use but entirely different paper), took my dad (then 13), and his niece and nephew (my cousins R. and V.) to Disneyland.

Every child who attended that day recieved a brass key that entitled them to free admission to Disneyland for the rest of their life. My dad lost his, as kids tend to do, but my aunt (V's mom) hung on to V's key, and V. gave it to me 15 years ago as a birthday present. This key was pretty cool back in the day, but hey, admission was a dollar and you still had to buy ride tickets. Everything changed when they got rid of the tickets - and they still had to honor the keys.

So when my cousin gave me the key, (it is worth mentioning I had already established a pattern of always going to DL on my birthday), we tried to use it. They had to go all the way up to an assistant VP of some sort before they found someone who'd been around long enough to remember it. Yes, it WAS good for lifetime admission, they said, BUT... I'd have to exchange the key for a lifetime pass.

We paid for my admission that day.
    Last edited by Morrigoon; 05-17-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Hello there

Blog Entries
    WOW that is some souvenier. I would definetely have paid admission rather than to give up that key- it is a piece of histpry and worth more than a lifetime pass.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• CM for 4 years!

I wouldn't ever give that key away for anything. Even a lifetime pass.

• insufferable know-it-all

Me either.

I never met my grandmother, and this is the only tie I have to her. I consider it a family heirloom. (And when you consider the monetary value of a lifetime pass to DL, on top of the value of something handed out only on opening day... )

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Former Epcot CM

When I first read what you wrote, I disagreed and I thought I would have swapped it for a lifetime pass. But no, I know exactly what you mean - that is incredibly valuable, sentimental and financial. Oh my god you are so lucky.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• My cuties!

I'd have hung on to the key too! It is priceless!

• The Magics in the details

very cool. FYI, today's modern "lifetime pass" is more commonly known as a "Silver Pass" and is generally given to CMs with over 15 years of service upon retirement and allows them to sign in 3 people plus themselves on any day of the year (except block-outs) for the rest of their lives. Silver passes are also given to Full Time CMs, but are voided if/when they are "separated" from the company. Only those that retire get a new one for themselves and their spouce each year after retirement.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Not just suits get lifetime passes. I think you get a silver pass, or lifetime pass, after working there for 20 yrs. One of my managers retired- he was not a high up mgr- and he got a silver pass.

oops- I got distracted while writing this post. I see someone else already pretty much said the same thing.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCM
    very cool. FYI, today's modern "lifetime pass" is more commonly known as a "Silver Pass" and is generally given to CMs with over 15 years of service upon retirement and allows them to sign in 3 people plus themselves on any day of the year (except block-outs) for the rest of their lives. Silver passes are also given to Full Time CMs, but are voided if/when they are "separated" from the company. Only those that retire get a new one for themselves and their spouce each year after retirement.
    Back when my dad worked at the park he mentioned lifetime passes. He said I should get one because it would be a good investment. But yes, I think it's the only type of pass they have now is the Silver one. Maybe I'll get there?

Ohh... and that key is cool!

• Know More Than You Should

I have a silver pass- I think its expired. Can they expire? I'll show you guys a picture of it later.

• Banned User

Is there anyone that can verify this lifetime pass key?
    My grandparents went on the opening day with my aunt and uncle (my aunt was like 12 and my uncle was 8, and my dad was about to be born, I guess no one knew of the dangers of pregnant women going to amusement parks back then?). They never got any keys or lifetime passes.

• Lovin' Life!

I think I would have that Key framed for all to admire...wow! What a great keepsake!
    ....it all began with a Mouse...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast