Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Fightin' Texas Aggie

A Few Disneyland Questions

Howdy Guys! Long time reader, first time poster. I was sitting at my apartment in Texas on Sunday when I got an email from my basketball band director saying that I'd get to go to Anaheim to play with the band at the UCLA/Texas A&M game. For Free. I noticed that we'd have an entire day to spend in LA/Anaheim doing whatever we wanted, so of course I decided that I needed to go to Disneyland, especially since out hotel ended up being the Marriott on Convention Way. I'm not really the Disneyland pro, having not been there in about 4 or 5 years. It's weird because I've been to Walt Disney World so many times and ended up working there over the summer that I could tell you anything about that resort, but almost nothing about its west coast counterpart. Anyway, I've got a few questions for you guys.

1)I'll be there December 7-9, and plan on going to the park on the 8th. What will the crowds/weather be like?

2)I'll be with a bunch of college kids, myself included. How is Downtown Disney(House of Blues, etc.) for college "activities?"

3)Since I've been to Disney World so many times, What are some of the must dos at Disneyland that are different than at the World?

4)I'm really into facts about the park. I love the Imagineering books on EPCOT and Magic Kingdom. Anything like that for Disneyland?

5)I was sent a comp holiday ticket for Walt Disney World since I worked there over the summer. It was a comp ticket and a holiday coupon book. Anyone know if I can get this to work at Disneyland? I figure probably not, but it's worth a shot.

I think that is all the questions I have at the moment. Sorry for the long post, but since I'm leaving soon, I don't have a lot of time to look all of this stuff up. Thanks and Gig 'Em!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: A Few Disneyland Questions

Quote Originally Posted by TheJames View Post
    Howdy Guys! Long time reader, first time poster. I was sitting at my apartment in Texas on Sunday when I got an email from my basketball band director saying that I'd get to go to Anaheim to play with the band at the UCLA/Texas A&M game. For Free. I noticed that we'd have an entire day to spend in LA/Anaheim doing whatever we wanted, so of course I decided that I needed to go to Disneyland, especially since out hotel ended up being the Marriott on Convention Way. I'm not really the Disneyland pro, having not been there in about 4 or 5 years. It's weird because I've been to Walt Disney World so many times and ended up working there over the summer that I could tell you anything about that resort, but almost nothing about its west coast counterpart. Anyway, I've got a few questions for you guys.

1)I'll be there December 7-9, and plan on going to the park on the 8th. What will the crowds/weather be like?

2)I'll be with a bunch of college kids, myself included. How is Downtown Disney(House of Blues, etc.) for college "activities?"

3)Since I've been to Disney World so many times, What are some of the must dos at Disneyland that are different than at the World?

4)I'm really into facts about the park. I love the Imagineering books on EPCOT and Magic Kingdom. Anything like that for Disneyland?

5)I was sent a comp holiday ticket for Walt Disney World since I worked there over the summer. It was a comp ticket and a holiday coupon book. Anyone know if I can get this to work at Disneyland? I figure probably not, but it's worth a shot.

I think that is all the questions I have at the moment. Sorry for the long post, but since I'm leaving soon, I don't have a lot of time to look all of this stuff up. Thanks and Gig 'Em!
    Welcome!

Hmm, let's see...

1) It probably shouldn't be too bad...it might get a bit crowded in the late afternoon/evening, but still enjoyable. Try to do big attractions earlier in the day, then get fastpasses for the ones you want to do later on. Do not worry about coming in "past" your time...the CMs don't care as long as you don't come before your time

2) It should be a great spot for you guys to explore!

3) Do Indiana Jones, Tiki Room (it's the original and was fixed for the 50th), Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean (I hear it's a lot better than the one in WDW but I can't make that judgement), Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Matterhorn (the one and only), Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin.

4) I know there's a great book called The Art of Disneyland. It's on my wish list

5) I've read that this is actually possible. What I would do is call up Guest Services at the resort and talk to somebody to work it out properly. You can find the number on the Disneyland.com website

Have a wonderful trip!

You forgot to say, WHOOP! or GIG 'EM AGGIES! or FIGHT 'EM FARMERS!
    "Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted in spite of your changing moods." -- C.S. Lewis

• back in Austin

Sorry for the long post, but since I'm leaving soon, I don't have a lot of time to look all of this stuff up. Thanks and Gig 'Em!
    ugh. As a UT grad living in Austin, who belongs to a whole family of Aggies, I'd like to express my thorough disgust at how a certain recent football game turned out. Not to mention my dismay at seeing the "thumbs up" smiley repurposed as a "gig 'em" sign. But as much as I hate to say it, you deserved to win.

Welcome to MiceChat and enjoy your stay in Anaheim. Hope you have a blast!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

1) Low Desert winter - 60's to 80's during the day, depending, and high 30's to 50's at night. Let's see... Friday's Forecast: Sunny, Low 46 High 75. 10% chance of rain, 38% Humidity, Wind SE at 6 MPH (safe for fireworks if it holds to the forecast), Sunrise 6:44 Sunset 4:43.

Dress in several layers and bring a backpack - you can peel or add layers as needed. No rain in the long range forecast that I've heard about, but it can't hurt to bring your rain gear just in case.

2) You can get (ahem) Adult Beverages at DCA, Downtowen Disney and several of the Hotel eateries. They do check ID's. They have some good stuff at House Of Blues.

3) If you only have one day, get here early and plan to stay late, and concentrate on Disneyland. You can hit the House Of Blues in several places, and Downtown Disney is basically a mall - they have those everywhere, too.

DCA has it's good points, but you might want to save it for your next visit. You can do all the major rides in a few hours, and spend another few hours on the shows and displays - but you have one day, and DL is more important.

Disneyland is much more compact and intimate than any one of the the WDW parks - you can walk across the entire park several times during the day with no worries - try that at Epcot and you'll be in traction for a month.

The "Believe in Holiday Magic" fireworks are a winner - it's better from the north end of Main Street if you only get one chance. The Fantasmic! at WDW is a pale imitation of the original Disneyland version, and that's an Absolute MUST DO. If you hit the Fireworks from Main Street you can slide into the second Fantasmic! seating.

(You can see the Fireworks from the river after first Fantasmic! but you miss all the castle shots, and the "nine-line" shells makes no sense at that angle. Viewed from the Hub or Main Street it creates patterns over the castle.)

Billy Hill and the Hillbiillies show in the Golden Horseshoe, several shows during the day - hit at least one, get lunch or a snack inside, they are excellent musicians. Laughing Stock Company in front of the Horseshoe, also several times through the day.

We still have the original Tiki Room - no Iago.

Hit the 50th Show in the Opera House on the way in - BTW, tell Florida that we want Walt's Offices back in the Opera House lobby.

Flag Retreat in Town Square at 4:30 PM, sometimes with live band. Bring a handkerchief or Kleenex. They do it right, Ernie sees to that. (Semper Fi!)

Don't miss the Disney Gallery upstairs over Pirates entrance - free and wonderful, you get up close and personal with the artwork. They will have the history and trivia books up there. And while you're up there, realize this was originally going to be the private Disney Family Suite at the park, entered from a NOS courtyard - the Cashwrap was originally the wet bar, the CM's keep their lunches in the original built-in fridge. Walt passed away before it was finished.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Oh, about trading those WDW Tickets? DL Switchboard is (714) 781-4000.

WDW Comp ticket? You never know until you ask. (Stranger things have happened...)

--<< Bruce >>--

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

since all the questions are mostly answered i'll just say:

Welcome to MiceChat!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Sock Puppet

Since I've been to Disney World so many times, What are some of the must dos at Disneyland that are different than at the World?
    Matterhorn.
    New space mountain.
    Storybook land.
    Casey jr circus train.
    "its a small world" facade.
    Indiana jones!!!(cant miss)
    Tiki room
    Mr toads wild ride.. I cant remember if they have that at disneyworld.
    Alice in wonderland..Do they have that at disneyworld??
    Sailing ship columbia.

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    3) Do Indiana Jones, Tiki Room (it's the original and was fixed for the 50th), Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean (I hear it's a lot better than the one in WDW but I can't make that judgement), Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Matterhorn (the one and only), Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin.
    I agree with PineappleWhipAddict on nearly all of these - but Star Tours is virtually identical (WDW actually is much better because of the exterior at MGM). Same deal for JC.

BTW, POTC is 1000 times better at DL; it was even before the Sparrowization. I grew up at DL, and when I first went to WDW, I was so let down by their version of Pirates. Trust us on this one: don't miss Pirates at DL.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
    BTW, POTC is 1000 times better at DL; it was even before the Sparrowization. I grew up at DL, and when I first went to WDW, I was so let down by their version of Pirates. Trust us on this one: don't miss Pirates at DL.
    That's what I was going to say, too. It's a lot longer ride at Disneyland, and more rich in detail, says I.

• Directly directed

Alice in Wonderland! They don't have one at WDW

• Fightin' Texas Aggie

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
    I remember from the one time I went to Disneyland a few year ago the coolness that was Pirates. The millions of times I went on the Disney World Pirates this past summer, It'd be fun, but I'd remember the Disneyland version and how much better it was. Thats the one thing I'm not gonna miss out on.

Also, The last time I went, I wanted to eat at the Blue Bayou, but we just ended up running out of time. Is it worth the more expensive price? I'm thinking about eating there for lunch. Do you think I'd have a problem making a reservation the morning of? The problem is that I don't know yet how many band nerds I can convince to go with me.

Secondly, What's the deal with the Dole Whips? Do they have them at Disneyland like they do at Disney World? I'm a big fan of the half pineapple juice/half dole whip from the Magic Kingdom. If they have them at Disneyland that would be most excellent.

Lastly, How's the Haunted Mansion Holiday? I'm intrigued....

Thanks Guys!

PS - Just for SportsGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
    You forgot to say, WHOOP! or GIG 'EM AGGIES! or FIGHT 'EM FARMERS!
    WHOOP! GIG 'EM AGGIES! FIGHT 'EM AGGIES! FARMERS FIGHT! FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIE CLASS OF 2007! etc.

• The pride is back.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Dole Whip (at DL). To. Die. For.
    HMH - Good for a one-time trip.
    Blue Bayou - I've gone several times, with great food and service. Others haven't been so lucky. If you do try to get reservation the day of, make it a weekday if you can. The atmosphere is a knockout, and if you go at lunch, don't miss the Monte Cristo - it'll make your eyes roll up in your head. They don't serve it at dinner, tho.

• Minion FOREVER!

I remember from the one time I went to Disneyland a few year ago the coolness that was Pirates. The millions of times I went on the Disney World Pirates this past summer, It'd be fun, but I'd remember the Disneyland version and how much better it was. Thats the one thing I'm not gonna miss out on.
    Definitely true. DL's version is much better IMHO.
    Also, The last time I went, I wanted to eat at the Blue Bayou, but we just ended up running out of time. Is it worth the more expensive price? I'm thinking about eating there for lunch. Do you think I'd have a problem making a reservation the morning of? The problem is that I don't know yet how many band nerds I can convince to go with me.
    Yes, you'll probably
    have some trouble on the day unless your group is small and don't mind eating
    at non-peak hours...but you should be able to call now to make Priority Seating.
    Secondly, What's the deal with the Dole Whips? Do they have them at Disneyland like they do at Disney World? I'm a big fan of the half pineapple juice/half dole whip from the Magic Kingdom. If they have them at Disneyland that would be most excellent.
    I think DL had them first. Both Dole Whips and Dole Whip Floats (in
    pineapple juice) are available outside the Tiki Room. Don't mind the
    long line outside, just go into the turnstiles to the Tiki Room and order
    from there.

Lastly, How's the Haunted Mansion Holiday? I'm intrigued....
    Well, I think it's great! (But I like the regular version when it comes back,
    even better!)

Thanks Guys!

PS - Just for SportsGuy

WHOOP! GIG 'EM AGGIES! FIGHT 'EM AGGIES! FARMERS FIGHT! FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIE CLASS OF 2007! etc.
    You're welcome, hope that you have a great time in DLR and... Here to a good football game in the Holiday Bowl!
    GOOOOOOO, BEARS!!!!

The prices recently went up a notch at the Blue Bayou, but it's still worth it for the fun of being there.

Call Now for Priority Seatings on Friday. (714) 781-DINE (781-3463) People visiting Disneyland aren't used to being as regimented as WDW, so there are probably weekday seating times available up to same day - but at the last minute they might not be available at the right time for you. Call ahead anyway.

If you need to guess at how many seats you need, guess high - but they really aren't set up for parties much bigger than six or eight at a table, you can ask when you call.

I'd say if you expect to have four people but may gain a few more, make ressies for six. You can always tell them when you arrive it's only four.

We need an official voice to make sure I haven't grossly misstated anything...(Paging Voice ) "MelMel, please call the MiceChat Operator. MelMel, please call the MiceChat Operator."

--<< Bruce >>--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast