Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Re: How long is the Disney/Lucas deal?

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    I really doubt it would... Lucas allowed for the Jedi Academy just recently so I don't think he is breaking a deal any time soon.
    But then again, how long have some of these show type things lasted. About A Year, Two, Three? It may be possible that the deal could break!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Minion

>.The independant culture of LucasFilm and ILM would be distroyed by Disney... It would be as if Disneyland was sold to Comcast... Yeah, that bad, maybe worse.<<

From what I get, Lucasfilm is already a pretty much a thing of the past now anyway- - Lucas has stated publicly he doesn't want to make movies anymore (and the prequels speak for themselves). Yet, George has created something very powerful and lasting - - and he could have an important voice in the future of Tomorrowland, in general. I think it is the perfect synergy.

• Animatronic

I think I would like a Howard the Duck ride more than the Pooh ride.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Id take a Star Tours Christmas Special over the Pooh ride.

• I'm not really here

Lucas did say in interview that the only company he trusted enough to do anything with his "property" was Disney. He has immense respect for Disney so I doubt this deal will end.

And George seems to be one of those guys who always says he wants to quit and complains about it ad nauseum, but never actually quits because they love the work to much.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Huh?

Lucas is only abandoning theatrical films. He's concentrating on television now. He'll still make movies, but they'll be at lower budgets and made for television audiences.

There are some notable exceptions, such as the fourth theatrical Indiana Jones movie.

I had heard a while back that once George Lucas dies, that's pretty much the death of all Lucasfilm, too. However, I doubt the validity of this.

Let's face it, though -- ILM and Star Wars merchandise is all that is keeping the company alive. There is THX, but how many actually understands what it is?

LucasArts is in a serious need of restructuring. They just don't produce the great games they once did... Every time they do make something promising now, they cancel the project when it's 75&#37;-95% complete! There has been a lot of wasted money in the last few years. And on top of that, Voodoo Lady has a 5 game contract with LucasArts. She's been in 4 games and the 5th game is doubtful to ever come.

Lucas is an unpredictable mess. A buyout or some kind of stronger partnership with Disney could probably only help.
    -Tim

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    He also might be able to hold the Board more accountable.
    Except Lucas is exactly against having a big corporate entity telling him what to do.. and exactly why he started his own production companies. Why would he flip and go right back into what he specifically left?

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Except Lucas is exactly against having a big corporate entity telling him what to do.. and exactly why he started his own production companies. Why would he flip and go right back into what he specifically left?
    Because he's unpredictable... he stated for years that the original Star Wars trilogy would never be seen again. Guess what happened...

He's always changing his mind on everything.
    -Tim

• Pilot EdForceOne

that's just the money side of him. That's well understood. Its why I have like 4 copies of the trilogies

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I assume he'd gain an equity interest in Walt Disney and possibly a seat on the board.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Because he's unpredictable... he stated for years that the original Star Wars trilogy would never be seen again. Guess what happened...

He's always changing his mind on everything.
    If I remember correctly he did the prequels because of the developments in CGI made film makeing closer to what he originally invisioned...

Nah, George believes that films are just too expensive to produce now...

I don't think that is the case... George could still put together American Graffiti for a measly couple million... The problem is who would buy and distribute it in a wide distribution?

The real problem is the Market is not at the theatres anymore, their in front of Television and Computer screens...

Telivision is cheaper to produce now than films - with a more reasonable budget, and now you have the DVD revinue stream... Many film studios are beginning to make the conversion of their direct to video film units now...

It makes economic sense, we don't know how much longer the DVD will be around to focus on "direct to video" films anymore..
    Check out my other blog:

• Huh?

Well, you've also gotta look at this: Outside of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and American Graffiti, what are his hits?

Howard the Duck was a huge bomb.

Radioland Murders, while an enjoyable movie (and a prequel to American Graffiti), it was nowhere near a hit.

THX-1138 was only a movie that showed promise of what a film maker could later do.

Etc.

The fact is, Star Wars is all he has creatively to build on now. Indiana Jones probably won't go too much farther -- the Young Indy series is pretty dried up now and I don't think the theatrical movies could last too much longer.

Television is merely safer. If you make a movie for TV, you're not out as much if it's a failure.
    -Tim

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Indiana Jones probably won't go too much farther -- the Young Indy series is pretty dried up now and I don't think the theatrical movies could last too much longer.
    There has been rumor after rumor of one last Indy hurrah before Harrison Ford becomes way to old to play in an action adventure movie... I just don't think Spielberg and Lucas could decide on a script...

Other Lucas Films: Labyrinth, Willow, Tucker.
    Check out my other blog:

• Huh?

Didn't remember that Lucas had something to do with Labyrinth. Of course, I've always have seen that as more of a Henson film.

Willow... that one escaped my mind. But that's definitely one of the best of them. However, dunno why they didn't try to continue merch and such for that classic.

Tucker -- my dad liked that one. Not one of the best, either. I don't even think I even heard of the film until sometime after it was on VHS. In fact, it was a big flop. $25mil was the budget, but it only took in $19mil.

And then in other Lucasfilm productions:

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters -- $5mil budget, $450,000 box office
    Latino -- well, how many even know this movie existed?

Don't find anything on Twice Upon a Time, but I'm intrigued because of the Paul Frees and Lorenzo Music voice casting...
    -Tim

• Minion

Let me rephrase that Indy thing... Spielberg wants to do the project more than Lucas does, which I think is why they can't decide on a script...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast