Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

How long is the Disney/Lucas deal?

Does anyone know how long the theme park liscensing deals for Star Wars and Indiana Jones beteen Disney and Lucas last? When do they run out? Are there pre-arranged options to continue or will they have to renegotiate the fee?

Curious because it could impact Disneyland's longterm future...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Re: How long is the Disney/Lucas deal?

Curious because it could impact Disneyland's longterm future...
    I really doubt it would... Lucas allowed for the Jedi Academy just recently so I don't think he is breaking a deal any time soon.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

I have a feeling that George Lucas loves Disneyland more than he lets Disney know that fact. So, he's probably amenable to a new deal no matter what. His heirs and successors might not be, though.

• Minion

Bob should buy Lucasfilm & ILM for Disney. The properties are totally complimentary and I always read rumors that George is ready to call it quits (though he has his TV series on the way).

So much more can be done with these characters and settings -- The unbridled delight of the kids (and their parents) at the Jedi show really tells the tale. It's a multi-generational appeal. Think how popular a Star Wars Resort would be...

I'd be in favor of such an combination if the price is right and if Lucas' services are part of the deal. While Lucas has been able to wring so much out of the intellectual property so far, I can still see possibilities for further extensions.

I would think Lucas also might be able to effect much needed change in Disney's organizational culture.

He also might be able to hold the Board more accountable.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Bob should buy Lucasfilm & ILM for Disney. The properties are totally complimentary and I always read rumors that George is ready to call it quits (though he has his TV series on the way).
    (Thanks, I just spit up diet soda on my computer monitor.)

I don't think so... I don't think George will ever let ILM or LucasFilm lose it's independance. I don't think there is any amount of money that would buy George out either... I think he would sooner close the unit down and have all the profits go to a trust/foundation in perpitutity.

Besides you also have to consider the deals he worked out with Fox and Paramount (Viacom)...
    Check out my other blog:

Lucas is at the age when he should be considering his own mortality. History has shown that these kinds of companies flounder once their founders die. But, Eisner's corporate perversion of Disney is no better equipped at the moment to improve matters much. However, if Lucas, along with Jobs and Lasseter, can shift the organization into something different than that, which it has become, then there might be a great opportunity for Disney, Henson, and Lucas' creative works to flourish in the future under better corporate governance and better management.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I have a feeling that George Lucas loves Disneyland more than he lets Disney know that fact. So, he's probably amenable to a new deal no matter what. His heirs and successors might not be, though.

That's definitely true. George Lucas LOVES Disneyland and he loved it ever since he was a boy. He knew that there was only ONE company that could do justice to his films in ride-form and that was Disney.

Lucasfilm is also very well tuned in with their properties and licenses and what works and what doesn't. Disney is a powerful force in keeping STar Wars alive those many years after the original trilogy were completed. Florida continues to have "star wars weekends" and merchandise is also very popular.

I think the partnership will continue as long as their's money to be made.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Lucas is at the age when he should be considering his own mortality. History has shown that these kinds of companies flounder once their founders die. But, Eisner's corporate perversion of Disney is no better equipped at the moment to improve matters much. However, if Lucas, along with Jobs and Lasseter, can shift the organization into something different than that, which it has become, then there might be a great opportunity for Disney, Henson, and Lucas' creative works to flourish in the future under better corporate governance and better management.
    Ah, but Lucas is defined by being the "hollywood outsider" that effectively redefined "hollywood." He is not a man to be bought out... if he does get bought out, it will be well after the man has passed on... George is the Walt of his generation. Period. Trust me he built his company so it can flourish if it went public, without having to sell anything to anyone...

The independant culture of LucasFilm and ILM would be distroyed by Disney...

It would be as if Disneyland was sold to Comcast...

Yeah, that bad, maybe worse.
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

I have a feeling that George Lucas will stay with Disney until his death. He loves Disney so much, that he was there on July 18th, 1955

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Lucasfilm is also very well tuned in with their properties and licenses and what works and what doesn't.

Oh, yeah? Explain to me, Howard the Duck? Some people never learn...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Ah, but Lucas is defined by being the "hollywood outsider" that effectively redefined "hollywood." He is not a man to be bought out... if he does get bought out, it will be well after the man has passed on... George is the Walt of his generation. Period. Trust me he built his company so it can flourish if it went public, without having to sell anything to anyone...

The independant culture of LucasFilm and ILM would be distroyed by Disney...

It would be as if Disneyland was sold to Comcast...

Yeah, that bad, maybe worse.
    The same could be said about Pixar or Henson. ... or even Walt Disney Productions, itself.

The Pixar people feel as if they will be able to change Disney, instead of vice versa. Lucasfilm might be able to do even more to shift the balance.

•   
    • Minion

Henson is not a hollywood property, Disney didn't buy it, only the Muppets and Bear properties. Properties that they are doing vertually nothing with...

Jim Henson Productions is still putting properties in production independant of Disney.

----

Pixar was a spin off of ILM and was offered to Disney years ago. It never had a reputation for independance, it was pretty much attached to the hip of Disney the moment they went into film production with that five film deal.

----

I still don't see George Lucas wanting to get involved with Disney. I don't see him getting more involved with Fox or Paramount either... As these are companies he also has as good a relationship with...

ILM would falter at the hands of Disney ownership. Much like InfoSeek did with Disney in the 90's...

George would be better off selling the ILM to Dolby Labratories (which is also headquartered in San Francisco) Since Sony has entered the sector, I doubt there would be any anti-trust issues. And breaking up property rights, diverting profits to a trust/foundation set up in his family's name.
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Oh, yeah? Explain to me, Howard the Duck? Some people never learn...
    Yah, you notice how you don't see HOWARD THE DUCK anything?

FACE.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast