Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but they had an extra serpent backstage on the north side for a long time. That's probably what was sold.
    I remember seeing that serpant backstage, I was really little and thought it was an indiana jones prop, but I guess it was probably the sea serpant. There was mermaids and animatronic fish sitting around, dry, and faded.

• Rainicorn.

I would love to see what is going on in the showroom. It's probably terribly waterlogged and needs some well-deserved TLC.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but they had an extra serpent backstage on the north side for a long time. That's probably what was sold.
    One of my younger sisters said they saw this too last April on the Disneyland Railroad. I didn't believe her but I guess I should think differently now?

Thumbs up "Nemo" attraction to cleverly mix old & new ( Photos )

There are some good photos and information as to how they may blend the Old & New together.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/artic...le.php?ID=1414

More Drained Lagoon photos:
    http://mousetimes.com/iboard/index.p...7&#entry270167

Some old photos:
    http://www.20kride.com/photos_below.html
    Last edited by RabidAlienz; 05-18-2005 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zissou
    what was in the cave? I can't remember anything about that ride at all...all i remember is the captain's voice, a little section with mermaids and the bubbles that went past the window. oh how those scared me when i was 5. i thought we were really going deeper underwater and figured we would sink.
    You can see a video of the whole ride at:

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visi...subvoyage.html

Hopefully they will still let you download it. They were having bandwidth problems...

There are some good photos and information as to how they may blend the Old & New together.
    I went to the mousetimes link you put up with the photos. I enlarged the picture of the drydock where all the sandbags are sitting backstage.

http://mousetimes.com/iboard/index.p...e=post&id=4885

I noticed that they have plastic tarps to obstruct your view into the drydock. I also noticed a spot of yellow paint on one of the tarps. Now I don't want to make too much of a little spot of yellow paint on a sheet of plastic...... but it makes me wonder if there is painting going on in the drydock. Wishful thinking maybe.

Cris
    Last edited by Crispy; 05-19-2005 at 06:22 PM.

• Minion

Linky no work. Ive never seen any pics of the inside of the caves/drydock. Are there any?

Heres the Link to the "Sea Serpent" Ebay auction. It is closed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...517185963&rd=1

Re: Whats with the Sub Lagoon?

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    As of a couple of weeks ago the sea serpent was still in the cave; you could see it in one of the early photos posted right after they started work.

Where are these pictures?!
    And this can't be the same as the one on the last page.
    http://images.auctionworks.com/fullV...4/DA21554b.jpg
    Last edited by C-HOX; 09-02-2005 at 08:39 PM.

That is the one of the Disneyland Sea Serpents to be sure. That is the one that was on the left side of the sub track. Look how worn out that prop is. It's amazing to see all of the wiring. The serpent's eyes would move around and his head moved slightly form one side to the other. The sea serpent everyone keeps describing at Disneyland is the one that is positioned for the right side of the sub tracks. Has anyone spotted the one that is on the left side of the sub tracks?

I've ridden the subs many times and remember them well. It was easy to see the top of the water from the sub windows. I liked the eels that would pop out of the holes in the coral, coming close to the windows. However, the better scenes were inside the show building. There were sharks, divers fighting over sunken treasure, a humongous giant squid grappling a shark, the underwater volcano, the mermaids, and the giant ice caps. I thought the ice caps were the "tight" part of the building and were in the back because the other scenes were quite large on both sides of the subs. The walls also closed in on the subs for the sea serpent part. I personally didn't care too much for the cartoony sea serpent as everything else had a realistic approach in design and it didn't seem to fit in. Imagine a cartoony Trader Sam at the end of the The Jungle Cruise. I also would like Trader Sam to do more than lift up his arm. I would like to see him wave goodbye.

I saw the "teetering columns" laying outside next to the Atlantis props (the giant feet and head). The columns would sway back an forth near the view windows, threatening to fall over and maybe hit the submarine. Red lights and lots of air bubbles produced the effect of an active volcano.

As far as lack of riders, I don't think that was the case because I recall waiting in a line to get on them. I would grow impatient at times because it took awhile to load or unload a submarine. There was a constant line. Sometimes we would have to wait for a sub to pull up which meant that the line wasn't moving at all. During my last Space mountain ride, there was a 5 minute delay and lots of people left the line. They had better have more patience for the sub ride. The sub queue music and narration was barely audible. It needed to be turned up. It ran like that for years. I asked other people if they could hear what the narrator was saying and they would reply that "they couldn't hear it well." I'm sure that will change. I bet we get a nice loud safety spiel now.

My curiosity about the subs was with the sub operator. He had to stand up during the entire ride. The operator was easy to see from the outside. One time, I waved to the operator as he was looking at us through his port window. He waved back. I'm sure he got to see the real insides of the show building while the guests the show down below.
    Last edited by Triton; 09-05-2005 at 10:47 AM.

• U. B. Bold

^There is an imfamous story about a certain sub-captain who left dock with his rear hatch open. Nobody seemed to notice untill they reached the first waterfall at the entrance to the caverns. Suddenly a kid in the back began to shout, "we're taking on water! Evasive action!" And sure enough alot of the people in the back of the sub got more than a little wet. This was in the early '70's. I'm sure if it happened today there would be lawsuits for "pain and suffering".

Yes but a good story.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Former Epcot CM

Did the lagoon used to have real mermaids (well I say real, I mean actresses) in? If they brought them back, it would be one of those extra little touches which makes you say wow. It is these little touches that one probably remembers most about the parks. The only profit made from this would be guest happiness.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Some of the props including the sea serpent went up for auction at Disneyland at the "50 Years of Magical Memories" event. I was fortunate enough to win the shark fighting the octopus, and the 2 lobsters fighting over a starfish.
    They were in my backyard for about 5 weeks, but I recently moved them into my garage to prevent them from becoming weathered. Once I can make room in my house for them, they will be moving inside.
    Here are some pics of the pieces I won...

Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• U. B. Bold

I am so jealous right now. Way to go Charlie!
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

So, I watched a video and I didn't see the Giant Squid.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast