Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• xmanmom

Re: Annual Passholder Question.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    We're in NorCal and have the PAP.

It's a great value.

Works for us!

Enjoy!
    We are in NorCal too and I am trying to convince my finance to let me buy PAPs. I have never had any kind of AP before, but we went so often last year that I really think we should have bought one (five days total parkhopping). We are planning at least three days this coming year, but I know we would go more if we had passes. Not to mention the fact that we could use the parking and dining and shopping discounts.

My question to you, and any other AP holders who don't live within an hour or two from Disneyland is; does this make you feel pressured to take your vacations at DL instead of going other places?

The reason I ask is that we travel quite a bit and while we love going to DL we have a lot of other places on our list that we want to take weekend jaunts to. I would hate to start feeling obligated to go to Disney, because that would ruin some of the magic for me.

Oh also, a general question, is it true that you sometimes can buy discounted guest passes if you have a PAP? Please explain how this works if it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    Oh also, a general question, is it true that you sometimes can buy discounted guest passes if you have a PAP? Please explain how this works if it is true.
    Yep, there are times that APers can buy discounted park tickets. You usually find out about them in the AP newsletter that they send out (every quarter, I think?), or the AP page in the Disneyland website. Right now, APer's can buy 2-day park hopper tickets $20 off the regular price. However, the tickets have to be used by Dec. 14th. (Someone, please confirm this as I'm not sure!).
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

We are in NorCal too and I am trying to convince my finance to let me buy PAPs. I have never had any kind of AP before, but we went so often last year that I really think we should have bought one (five days total parkhopping). We are planning at least three days this coming year, but I know we would go more if we had passes. Not to mention the fact that we could use the parking and dining and shopping discounts.

My question to you, and any other AP holders who don't live within an hour or two from Disneyland is; does this make you feel pressured to take your vacations at DL instead of going other places?

The reason I ask is that we travel quite a bit and while we love going to DL we have a lot of other places on our list that we want to take weekend jaunts to. I would hate to start feeling obligated to go to Disney, because that would ruin some of the magic for me.
    I live in Phoenix, and found that since I have an annual pass, I end
    up in DL more frequently than anticipated. Certainly don't feel
    obligated to go, just want to go there.

Others have mentioned the main benefits of the Premium Annual Pass:

Free Parking
    10% merchandise discounts
    15% Food discounts in parks

Sometimes special events pop up (Halloween thingy at DCA)
    that passholders are given priority to.

Also, there are special Annual Passholder pins that are released.

Just recently, DL gave additional discounts to AP's early one morning,
    so you just never know what kind of additional benefits they might
    set up for us.

Some of the stores in DTD offer discounts occasionally.

And of course, you don't have to stand in line to purchase tickets,
    for a whole year!

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I live in Phoenix, and found that since I have an annual pass, I end
    up in DL more frequently than anticipated. Certainly don't feel
    obligated to go, just want to go there.
    I guess then, my question is, do you still have the time/money to go to other places as well?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Best part about APs, you get a whole year of:

MiceChat Meets!
    -Monorail Man

• Rock Star Minion

I guess then, my question is, do you still have the time/money to go to other places as well?
    Well, that is another part of the decision-making.
    With an AP, you've already spent the money. When choosing whether to go to Sea World or DL, and you'd have to pay for Sea World entrance, the rather large dollar difference becomes part of the equation. (Countered by the long driving distance.)
    The marginal difference is part of the decision. I would guess that most people with AP's would lean toward a no-additional-costs trip to DL over additional-costs trips to zoos, water parks, museums, other amusement parks, in-law's for dinner, Yosemite, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon,....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Personally, I love my PAP because it allows me to go on a spur of the moment. Granted I live significantly closer to DL than San Diego, but it's nice to just go and not have to worry about parking/blackout days.

Even if I just go to get a bite to eat and relax...

Those times are more fun to me than big trips anyway.

• official corn dog taster

i know its been said...you WILL go more if you get the pass...once you get it you will never be able to give it up

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Personally, I love my PAP because it allows me to go on a spur of the moment. Granted I live significantly closer to DL than San Diego, but it's nice to just go and not have to worry about parking/blackout days.

Even if I just go to get a bite to eat and relax...

Those times are more fun to me than big trips anyway.
    Understandable if you live close enough for DL not to be a big trip. For us we HAVE to make it a big deal because we can't just go home and crash in our own beds at the end of the day. Going requires hotel costs and possibly flights if we don't have enough time to drive.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Yep, we go other places. We have a boat and a motorhome as well. It's all about what you and the kids want to do. We enjoy the Resort at least 4 to 6 visits each year (actually, this year we hit 8 seperate trips).

It's just nice to have the option to go visit when you want and not worry about paying a high price to get in. Especially when it is just for a few hours or for a special event (ours, not DL's).

Enjoy!

• I've got the Disney fever

If someone buys you an AP does it activate on day of purchase? Or do you go activate it? Do you get in early with the PAP?

• Minion

I live in NoCal and am a big fan of the PAP.

I bought mine in June for $349 and have been in the park 12 days so far

That puts my per day cost at $ 29.08 and I have about 6 months left on the pass.

This doesn't take into account my 6 days of free parking at $ 60.

It also doesn't factor in food/merchandise discounts. Even at $ 20 per day for food and $ 25 per trip for merchandise, that is easily another $ 40 saved.

So if you factor that in my per day cost goes down to $ 20.75

There is no way I could do better with a multi day pass piurchase, the best deal in theory would be to buy a 3 day pass at 150 and then have them do the 5 days for 3 deal, but even then its $ 30 per day.

As others have noted, the big freedom is being able to go anytime I want. I do have to pay for hotel/food but other than that my trip is paid for.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lilyella21 View Post
    If someone buys you an AP does it activate on day of purchase? Or do you go activate it? Do you get in early with the PAP?
    You will get a voucher, which has an expiration date, usually about 3 months. So long as you redeem it in the allotted time, then it will be valid for one year from the first day of use. Lets say someone decides to buy a voucher today as a Christmas gift. The person who receives the voucher goes to Disneyland in January to redeem the voucher. The expiration date would be January, 2008.

And none of the 4 types of AP's get Early Entry, that is reserved for those buying Multi Day ParkHoppers in advance, and those guests staying at one of the three Disney owned hotels.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

My PAP is my buddy. We've been through so much.

Seriously though it has paid for itself about 20 visits ago. It also helps when I do my Christmas shopping.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

The big kicker for the AP for me is the change of mindset. Growing up, my mom always took us everywhere with the mindset of we HAVE to do all these things...she would carry a pen, and check off the park map as we stood in line.
    The Ap gives me the freedom to look at a long wait time, or see an attration having technical difficulties, and smile to myself as I walk by and say next time...becaue I know there will be a next time soon. Or if one of the kids is having a not so fun day, I don't have to push it...we'll be back soon.
    Plus, with a family with three who need tickets, we don't have to save up to buy a vacation for everyone if we want to go...we have staggered the purchase of our APs to different months, so its not a huge expense to renew!
    Last edited by iheartdisney; 12-08-2006 at 11:46 PM. Reason: typos
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12