Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• 88 mph

Re: How about replacing the parking lot trams with the Peoplemover?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You know what'd be nice are long moving walkways like those found in Las Vegas. I prefer to walk when possible but the walk from the structure to Disneyland is a lengthy one. Assistance from moving platforms would be sweet.
    But what about the vast majority that dont walk on the moving platforms? The people that want to walk fast on them might find themselves confined to the walkway walls.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

I believe the target for the trams is around 3 minutes for a load cycle, meaning that capacity rises to 4000/h. At full (ALL LOAD AREAS) capacity, ONE WAY traffic on the tram route can move 16,000 people per hour.
    Theoretically, 32,000 riders could move on the trams in one hour.

Anyone work parking? Correct me, please!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by Y more J View Post
    But what about the vast majority that dont walk on the moving platforms? The people that want to walk fast on them might find themselves confined to the walkway walls.
    Plus it would take forever. Walking the tram street from the Parking Structure is farther than it looks. I found this out when I walked it during the CHOC walk.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

True true. I've done it several times.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Can you imagine the VAST amount of peoplemovers it would take to move people out of the park efficiently? I was little when the peoplemovers left, but if I remember correctly, I believe they held less than 5 right? Imagine the bottleneck it would create if everyone wanted to use the peoplemover to get to the parking lot after the fireworks! The trams also travel considerably faster than the peoplemover. At the end of the night, people are ready to get home.

Not practical even in the slightest...
    Agreed.

Am I the only one that didn't get to park so close to the front gate? I remember it taking FOREVER to walk across the parking lot. And with Disneyland packing in so many guests that they have to shut down the park, I'd hate for 40,000 + vehicles to bottleneck at one of 3 exits.

The old parking lot is one of those fuzzy memory deals in which you remember it in a better light than what it really was IMO.
    Agreed again.
    I don't understand what people's love affair with the parking lot was - it made your an oven and you had to walk forever across the hot asphalt. I mean, sure, DCA isn't that great, but I'd take it anyday over a parking lot.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Am I the only one that didn't get to park so close to the front gate? I remember it taking FOREVER to walk across the parking lot. And with Disneyland packing in so many guests that they have to shut down the park, I'd hate for 40,000 + vehicles to bottleneck at one of 3 exits.

The old parking lot is one of those fuzzy memory deals in which you remember it in a better light than what it really was IMO.
    You're not the only one. The current resort setup is infinitely better than a bland, underused piece of real estate known as the parking lot. Mickey and Friends is a smaller footprint and more convenient for the staff. It's just easier to do and looks better.
    Also, it's expandable.
    That old parking lot gets a thumbs down from me. I'll take another theme park any day.

• Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc

A few things to consider:

According to all of the pre-Westcot publicity, the plan was to have Peoplemovers running between the parking structures and the park entrances.

The Peoplemover in Disneyland was only built at 5/8 scale. A real Peoplemover would almost certainly be bigger and enclosed.

Because the Peoplemover would almost certainly be enclosed, it could move much faster than the very slow trams. It would also run continuously and accomodate wheelchairs and strollers.

It's really a great idea, and it would require fewer CMs and less fuel. Make it so.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HuckSawyer View Post
    A few things to consider:

According to all of the pre-Westcot publicity, the plan was to have Peoplemovers running between the parking structures and the park entrances.

The Peoplemover in Disneyland was only built at 5/8 scale. A real Peoplemover would almost certainly be bigger and enclosed.

Because the Peoplemover would almost certainly be enclosed, it could move much faster than the very slow trams. It would also run continuously and accomodate wheelchairs and strollers.

It's really a great idea, and it would require fewer CMs and less fuel. Make it so.
    There's still the logistics of getting all those people onto the Peoplemover.

If it has to stop, what's the difference between a peoplemover and a tram? And if it moves faster, it takes away the "feel" of the peoplemover.

So Disney would have to spend gobs of money to build it, as well as spend gobs of money working out the logistics (strollers, handicapped, etc) to get roughly the same desired effect.

I'd much rather those millions be spent on a new E-ticket.

Getting people onto a new, bigger, faster, enclosed peoplemover wouldn't be a total problem. All you have to do is build a massive station at both ends that contains multiple platforms for entering the PM. Once you're on, the vehicle would converge onto the main track (or one of two main tracks) and quickly speed up to go faster than the trams. When approaching the other station, it slows down as it enters one of many loading platforms. If one vehicle needs to take longer at one station to let a guest load, it can be slowed down or stopped by supervising CMs, and other vehicles behind it will be diverted to the other platforms.

The platforms will be long and straight (not round) and entry and exit can be accomplished by entry on the right and exit on the left, for example.

The ride propulsion system would be one that is very reliable (whatever a reliable one is) and would include a separate, secondary system in case the main system fails. I don't know how feasible this is, however.

Handicapped and stroller loading can be done on its own station platform. The vehicle may normally stop here or move slower than other vehicles to accomodate guests, but this wouldn't affect the flow of the regular vehicles.

When the system operates smoothly, it could be very high capacity. Do not think of the previous peoplemover. This would be bigger, faster, enclosed, and better.

• Minion

Wow. That sounds ridiculously expensive and bothersome to still get roughly the same desired effect.

Also, at any given time on the Trams, everyone can load at once. With these new peoplemovers, everyone would have to wait until a select number of people get on. That would create a nasty bottleneck.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by wave789 View Post
    Getting people onto a new, bigger, faster, enclosed peoplemover wouldn't be a total problem. All you have to do is build a massive station at both ends that contains multiple platforms for entering the PM. Once you're on, the vehicle would converge onto the main track (or one of two main tracks) and quickly speed up to go faster than the trams. When approaching the other station, it slows down as it enters one of many loading platforms. If one vehicle needs to take longer at one station to let a guest load, it can be slowed down or stopped by supervising CMs, and other vehicles behind it will be diverted to the other platforms.

The platforms will be long and straight (not round) and entry and exit can be accomplished by entry on the right and exit on the left, for example.

The ride propulsion system would be one that is very reliable (whatever a reliable one is) and would include a separate, secondary system in case the main system fails. I don't know how feasible this is, however.

Handicapped and stroller loading can be done on its own station platform. The vehicle may normally stop here or move slower than other vehicles to accomodate guests, but this wouldn't affect the flow of the regular vehicles.

When the system operates smoothly, it could be very high capacity. Do not think of the previous peoplemover. This would be bigger, faster, enclosed, and better.
    Bigger - sounds good.
    Enclosed - sounds good.
    Faster - No way.

A faster Peoplemover means having to slow down or completely stop the vehicles completely in order to get on them. This would essentially mean a very large back-up of vehicles at the load/unload stations. It's not practical. The Peoplemover vehicles need to move consistantly at the same speed and a slow enough speed that would allow guests to climb aboard their perpetually moving vehicle without causing the thing to have to stop.

Also, how would a seperate station for hadicapped guests work? Just because they're on thier own load/unload platform doesnt mean having to stop or drastically slow down the vehicles for them would not affect all the other vehicles moving on the same track. And if you're suggesting the handicap guests have their own track completely - well, thats a HUGE investment and maitenance costs for a small fraction of Guests.

I think the trams are the best option. It would be wise to convert the trams to electric vehicles though. It's possible, and would certainly be more cost-effective for Disney and score them some emissions points.

Wow. That sounds ridiculously expensive and bothersome to still get roughly the same desired effect.

Also, at any given time on the Trams, everyone can load at once. With these new peoplemovers, everyone would have to wait until a select number of people get on. That would create a nasty bottleneck.
    Agreed again and again.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Haha yah... let's just save the cool rides for inside the theme parks for now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• California Golden Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Another benefit of the trams, if one breaks down, then the trams will continue, just going past the one broken down.

If one vehicle breaks down on the Monorail/People Mover tracks, then the entire system comes to a halt until the vehicle can be removed for the tracks.
    DOES NO ONE UNDERSTAND HOW THE PEOPLEMOVER WORKS?

The beauty and genius of the Peoplemover system is that that can never happen. The ride vehicles are unpowered and therefore can not breakdown, they are propelled by a series of moters in the tracks, and if one of these break down it does not stop the entire system because the vehilce just passes over it and keeps going. The Peoplemover is the ideal system for moving large numbers of people over a short distance: has an extreamly high capacity, does not need to stop to load, there is no waiting at the loading area since a vehicle is always there and best of all, IT CAN NOT BREAK DOWN!

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by 1313HarborBlvd View Post

The beauty and genius of the Peoplemover system is that that can never happen. The ride vehicles are unpowered and therefore can not breakdown, they are propelled by a series of moters in the tracks, and if one of these break down it does not stop the entire system because the vehilce just passes over it and keeps going. The Peoplemover is the ideal system for moving large numbers of people over a short distance: has an extreamly high capacity, does not need to stop to load, there is no waiting at the loading area since a vehicle is always there and best of all, IT CAN NOT BREAK DOWN!
    You've obviously never seen it in "inaction". It has broken down more then several times. Trust me, everything breaks down once in a while. And if its a mass means of transportation, that will create a major problem. And besides, its 20X more financially expensive to build the tracks/cars/maintenance then to jsut simply use trams.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 1313HarborBlvd View Post

No ride is impervious to system failures. While the people mover can move large amounts of people at a time, it cannot match that of the trams.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast