Blog Entries

Re: Court of Angels

I'm being silly,

where in NOS is the Court of Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    I'm being silly,

where in NOS is the Court of Angels.
    Le Grand Courtyard is back in the vey back corner of New Orleans Square near the bathrooms...where you'll often find the caricature artists. A very charming place, and good photo op.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Thanks

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I have no idea why the powers that be decided to go with the Angel angle just a couple of years ago, but I remember it ticked me off when they did, and inserted the relief plaque on that one wall proclaiming its new name. Why?
    The plaque and the name of the courtyard were changed in dedication to a cast member who died tragically.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The plaque and the name of the courtyard were changed in dedication to a cast member who died tragically.
    That's very sad to hear and I'm at least glad to hear there was some sort of reason behind it. But I still don't think they should have done it for that reason alone. It was too historic a place and name, IMHO.

Beats thinking it was a tribute to the loss of the Angels baseball team!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Yes. I know a bit about it.

First, its original name until just fairly recently was "Le Grand Courtyard." I have no idea why the powers that be decided to go with the Angel angle just a couple of years ago, but I remember it ticked me off when they did, and inserted the relief plaque on that one wall proclaiming its new name. Why? Because of the story and history behind this courtyard.

It was designed by Disney Legend Herb Ryman, who was asked personally by Walt to provide some inspirational drawings and painting of various areas of the then in-design New Orleans Square, based on the style of actual courtyards that existed in the real French Quarter. He actually did 4 different versions of this particular courtyard, but basically they all looked the same...just in different mediums (pencil, pencil with watercolor wash, oil, etc).

Walt Disney saw Herbie's "Le Grand Courtyard" and loved the painting so much than he ordered the Courtyard constructed exactly as Herb depicted it! No changes could be made! Here's that painting:

And that's exactly how it got built and what it was officially named. I believe even the iron gates to the courtyard had "GC" on them for most of their lives. But a few years ago someone got the bright idea of changing the name for God knows what reason (I find a lot of Disney folks these days like to change things just for the sake of changing them and perhaps to be able to point to their friends and say, "I named that!" ).

Here's a very early shot of Le Grand Courtyard from a 1967 Park postcard. They lady in it is Beverly...who used to run the One-Of-A-Kind Shop and later worked up at the Disney Gallery until she retired a couple of years ago. And the big doll on the bottom left is one of several Mary Blair originals that were sold at the Park back then:

Herbie also designed the other courtyard of New Orleans Square...The Royal Courtyard. This was the courtyard for the 21 Royal Street Disney family apartments (now the Disney Gallery). Here's the art on that one:

This courtyard is still there too. This was actually the "front" entrance to the apartments before they built the double stairways that exist above the entrance to Pirates now. At the base of that stairway was a small "speakeasy" just like Club 33's. You rang the bell and the receptionist upstairs would buzz open a little gate at the base of the stairs.

I will never call Le Grand Courtyard the Courtyard of Angels. Sorry. It's always going to be Walt & Herbie's "Le Grand Courtyard" to me. To me...calling it anything else would be tantamount to calling Sleeping Beauty Castle something else.
    Thanks for the great background story. I have to agree that "Le Grand Courtyard" works just fine as a name for the area.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: Court of Angels

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateheatther View Post
    I cant answer your question but is he proposing to you in your avatar? That is so sweet.
    Anders: here comes the pedant in me. I think the confusion arose because you're the fiance (male) and she's the fiancee (female). You big girl you congratulations by the way. ^_^
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Anders: here comes the pedant in me. I think the confusion arose because you're the fiance (male) and she's the fiancee (female). You big girl you congratulations by the way. ^_^
    yeah, I realized my mistake afterwards and thank you!

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• I'm not really here

My wife and I stumbled upon the Courtyard of Angels on our honeymoon. We have almost that exact same picture! It is one of our favorite places at Disneyland as it is so peaceful. Congratulations on the proposal!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12