Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Up is Down

Re: POTC Rush likeness debate proved on POTC 2 DVD

The thing that makes the Barbossa AA look wrong is the beard is way to thick.
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

He wanted his AA and painting to look crappy...that way he can turn around and blame the Imagineers for screwing it up and than coming in to save the day by PUBLICLY and OPENLY saying that he was "involved" in the refurb of his character, etc. The AA looks alright...could be better tho

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
    I'll be going in a few weeks, so I'll look at barbossa better (I'll have my video camera and zoom). Last time I went, I could SWEAR he had a bright white beard which bugged me. Then I came here and no one believed me My friends saw it too and thought it was horrible because it made him look funny. But now, I guess it's brown.
    You were there during the holiday version that Eisner spoke of.... Santa Barbossa. Yo ho ho!
    -Tim

• Collision speed....FULL!

The Jack at the end will get redone. The new mechanisms for the face are being worked out to have extremly tiny tolerences so the mechancisms wont be big and bulky and distort Jacks face. One of the problems is that the upper lip of Jack is being pushed out too far by the mechanism!

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    DD2006, I agree with you completely. Johnny is the most adept chameleon actor in the business today. As most definitive proof,
    look at Before Night falls where Johnny plays both BonBon and Lt Victor:

Of course, Johnny has had several other "looks", consider
    Edward Scissorhands, Willie Wonka, Secret Window, etc
    his characters, each take on a life of there own.

The Barbossa Audio Animatronic in DL doesn't looks like
    Barbossa, and the Main Problem is the coloring on the face,
    lol, i'm actually on deepweb looking for those pics as my proof, lol so i will offer some more verbal evidence. Depp has just as much capability to be versatile as anyother actor, however when he looks more like himself, audiences respond better to the character *with expection to Sparrow* I think he knows what works for him and looks for those parts. But also, just cause h doesn't look different, don't discount him as an actor who can only do one thing, and do it well

He is multitalented, not only in hobbies buyt in styles of acting. it can range from comedic *benny and joon* to dramatic *Finding Neverland* to down right odd or scary *from hell secret window and sleepy hollow*
    i do think, however that the movie that he looked the most normal, for him, was secret window, how long did he sport the hair anyway? lol

also, i'm looking at some screen caps of rush from his movies and really, he doesn't look that much different then he noramlly dose...he definatly isn't a meryl streep in the change area...that woman is crazy
    Last edited by krystledm; 12-11-2006 at 10:10 PM.

• "Always On The Move..."

I've been following Depps career since 21 Jump Street (which is when I got to meet him too). Personally, I feel he is one of the greatest actors of our time, AND for the reason that he is never the same twice..(even Captain Jack is the same personna, despite more than one film with him).

But there is definitely a difference between a performer and an actor.

John Wayne (while being great) was a performer. Whenever you saw him, it was John Wayne, just using a different name. Except for Rooster Cogburn, (and even then to a large amount) it was always John Wayne. With Depp, it is a complete and total transformation. Watch Finding Neverland and then immediately watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory..even the young man who played Peter and Charlie (same actor) was incredibly different.

Same with Rush. An amazing actor as well. Everytime, he is a complete and different character. Both of them I admire greatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Minion

Blog Entries

anyway, i realzedi didn't put my ontopic twocents in, lol

yes the painting is crap, no, the AA is fine...

and stitch, i envy you
    i'm only 19 but i've loved depp since i first saw E.S. and that was a LONG time ago, lol i think i was like...what....3

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I think both look like crap. Although you can't really see his AA that well, I still don't like it.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    anyway, i realzedi didn't put my ontopic twocents in, lol

yes the painting is crap, no, the AA is fine...

and stitch, i envy you
    i'm only 19 but i've loved depp since i first saw E.S. and that was a LONG time ago, lol i think i was like...what....3
    LOL, Thank you, Krystledm... he was extremely nice then and from what I saw during the Preimer...still extremely nice.

As for the AA... really like it. But as for the painting..the whole proportions being wayyyy off is what gets to me. Please someone FIX IT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• The Dark Ride

I disagree that johnny is always "johnny." He is the most versitile actor I believe I've ever seen. he never has played the same character twice!
    He's 'always Johnny' in the way that Olivier was always Olivier, or Paul Newman was always Paul Newman. Others come in here, such as Gene Hackman who is 'good in everything' but he's still Gene Hackman whether he's Lex Luthor or the southern FBI agent in Mississippi Burning. Great actors, to be sure, but they made parts their own. Depp is so amazing as Captain Jack because he just -owns- Captain Jack. Can you tell it's the same cat that -owned- Raoul Duke in Fear & Loathing? Yeah, I think you can, but he's fantastic as both. You can see the many similarities. The voice is the same, except for the accent and cadence. You have the exaggerated hand motions, the wacky and very specific walks, etc. And of course, you have those same soulful eyes that never change no matter the part.

People like Rush, primarily character actors but also some leads, don't make characters their own, they let the character own -them-. They're chameleons. They vanish into the role. Philip Seymour Hoffman is one of Depp's contemporaries that fits this role perfectly. I'd argue that Christian Bale is another, although his roles often call for him to basically just be Christian Bale. Still, compare his haunting take in the Machinist to American Psycho or Batman Begins. They're barely recognizable as the same person.

It wasn't meant as a slam on Depp at all, who remains one of my absolute favorite actors. In fact, earlier in his career, he -was- the kind of actor I'm talking about in Edward Scissorhands. Both 'types' of actors are equally valid, and I don't mean to compare him to people like Tom Cruise who, with the exception of Magnolia, has literally just played himself in every movie he's ever made with no attempt to form a characterization in any way.

Back to Disneyland: Depp would have suffered the same fate as Rush, had he been placed in scenes with heavy dialogue like the Wicked Wench scene. Don't think for a minute that the Imagineers didn't plan specifically for Depp's first two appearances to feature a flat-expressioned Jack with little or no facial movement. At that point, he's a wax museum figure, eerily lifelike. If he's waving his head around and shouting orders, it's an entirely different story.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• The Dark Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    So who was Captain Jack Sparrow in the second film? Or was it Jack's twin brother?

I get what you are trying to say, but Johnny Depp is a leading man type with femenine features, features which are easier to construct. Depp also under-reacts facially almost to the point of a modern day Buster Keaton, making his facial expression easier to match. The two performances that stand out as Depp using his face to great extent are Ed Wood and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, performances which both were greeted with suprise due to Depp's sublte acting style. On the other hand, Rush is a character actor who changes his face for the desired role and almost over-acts facially, which works with his roles as usually he is some sort of larger-than-life eccentric.
    Well. You said that about 90000 times better than I did. And took far less space to do it. Thanks!
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

im thinking about getting the two disc just for that feature, is it worth it?
    pshhh i guess

• Minion

Blog Entries

i can't helpo but think "if Depp is feminine, then 90% of hetro females must really be lesbians"

• Closed Account

All (including me) who have wondered why barbossa's painting and AA looks so crappy, now you can be assured. Jeffrey Rush was involved in the making of his AA and lending his voice. There is a part on the DVD about the ride and it shows JR at the shop looking at his model and talking about it. So those who wondered if he was involved...He was. Now why does the painting look so darn horrible?
    There's a Barbossa painting? Where is said painting located?

As far as the AA I think they had to modify the looks in order to have them fit into the cartoonish portrayals of the other pirates. In order to stick to the POTC code, they should have used one of the 30 different AA molds to make the Captain Jack Sparrow and Mutinous First Mate Barbossa AA faces.

• Up is Down

the painting is on the other side right acrossed from the jack one. and like I said before his AA's beard is too thick.
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast