Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Getting rid of the POTC bridge

The access bridge was built to handle the additional traffic that Splash Mountain was projected to create, so Disney's engineers must have believed it to be necessary.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ Wait. I thought the bridge was for Fantasmic?

I'll be 20 really soon, but I can only remember the POTC bridge always being there. I can't recall the old way other than old Disneyland footages.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

It was added as part of the Splash Mountain construction. Disneyland also created the garden with the Spanish fountain at that time and changed the name of Bear Country to Critter Country.

Bear Country was considered underutilized, but the extra traffic Critter Country and Splash Mountain were expected to generate made reconfiguring New Orleans Square necessary.

• Guilty!

If I remember my history correctly, the bridge was built in 1986.

• Minion

Not only does the bridge add character to the area, it has been doing its job of easing congestion very well all these years!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Genteel Amphibian

Quote Originally Posted by Scream162 View Post
    If I remember my history correctly, the bridge was built in 1986.
    okay if thats true I was 3 when it was put in, Therfore I don't remember it.

Does anyone have any pics of the que before the bridge?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Show of hands: How many old timers actually LIKED standing in that long, boring, smelly, hot, enclosed queue?

*Looks around*

Right. Let's drop the old queue idea.

• ...TWO BITS!

1986... I was that year. No wonder I don't remember it as a kid

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Anybody have any pics of the POTC area without the bridge? I thought the bridge has always been there.
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

• I love this place!

I say definitely keep the bridge....

-although the line for Pirates sometimes extends out past the bridge, that's only because they did something right to the ride that makes more people want to get in line. As things shake out over the next couple years, as everyone gets a chance to ride POTC with the new enhancements, these spikes in line length will settle down. Imagine though, a 40 years old ride that can still pack them in!

-I dont think the bridge hurts traffic that much, if at all. You usually have a big bottleneck of people between The Jungle Cruise and Tarzan's Treehouse. The walkway opens up a lot as you get past the River Belle Terrace and the entrance to POTC, even with the bridge there. And the traffic that has gone over the bridge has helped to "thin the herd".

-The bridge looks great, and adds a lot of visual appeal to the POTC show building and queue area.

-Walt designed NOS with the idea of having lots of narrow walkways and interesting little nooks and coves and such, the bridge just adds to that, I think.

-Last but not least is the reason the bridge was added in the first place, to aid traffic flow during Fantasmic! Besides adding a nice "upper level" for Fantasmic viewing, the bridge helps people get out who just want to get out.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The Bridge, aesthetically, gives the POTC entrance a more stately appearance than the old flat-land-with- forest-of-queue-posts look, but I wish it had not become the Disneyland un-official SUV-sized stroller parking area. It's not terribly "pirate-y".

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I was reading in another thread about the storage that is next to POTC. This, I believe what they are referring to, is the large wood doors that are in between POTC and the Tarzan Treehouse.

I just had a thought. When I was a kid, this was actually a part of the POTC line. Then for some reason they shut this part down and installed the bridge with the line underneath that.

It seems to me if they tear out the bridge and realign the que so that it goes through the doors again, it would clear out a lot of space out front of POTC for traffic to go through. It's kind of disruptive the way they have it now, because they have traffic coming in from three different ways (Frontierland, Adventureland, and Critter Country). And then they all have to maneuver around and over the bridge.

It just seems that getting rid of the bridge and rearranging the POTC line will clear things up in that area. I know there would be a problem with Fantasmic! but no matter what you do that whole area is congested, especially during that show.

This has probably been mentioned already a few times, but I SERIOUSLY doubt they will remove it. Not just that it's a prime spot for viewing Fantasmic (because you don't get wet and there's no rails in front of you) but it is basically a traffic tool to guide guests out when Fantasmic is running or has just ended. It's something they need so I doubt they will remove it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

It helps with foot traffic, as IMO, NOS is very small for the crowds. Also, I like the look it gives for PotC. Removing it would not help either of these at all.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by 5hr drive View Post
    Last but not least is the reason the bridge was added in the first place, to aid traffic flow during Fantasmic! Besides adding a nice "upper level" for Fantasmic viewing, the bridge helps people get out who just want to get out.
    The bridge was not built for Fantasmic.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Thumbs down Re: Getting rid of the POTC bridge

Quote Originally Posted by iluvdisney01 View Post
    Anybody have any pics of the POTC area without the bridge? I thought the bridge has always been there.
    Just look at pictures of Tokyo's POTC thats what it used to look like.

As for getting rid of the bridge, hell NO! It might not seem like it, but congestion would be so much worse without it....even if they used the side entrance.....its not THAT much room. God...the pain of the old POTC snake queue would make me shoot myself....
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast