Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: Anybody else think the Mickey Mouse themed room is tacky?

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyRob View Post
    It's a YOAMD prize
    Well heck, I'd take a free night up there!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    I wonder how times they'll give that room away until adults do what they're prone to do in that bedroom? Or on the couch, or where ever?

"How about after a few drinks, you and I go up to the hotel? I've got the keys to Mickey's bachelor pad."

I also wonder if they've done anything special for the bathrooms, because they aren't showing them.
    That video shows the bathrooms.

And I don't think there are going to be any wild parties up there, considering they're giving the suite to families, families only, and only families that fit into the "Disney" look. The penthouse suite is NOT a random deal for some random person wandering out of a ride in the same way a dream fastpass would be.

(All I could think of tho when I saw that room was HOLY EIGHTIES... what's up with that blue mickey ceiling?? .... really, it wouldn't be so tacky in any of those rooms if the lighting and color scheme was warmer).
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    And I don't think there are going to be any wild parties up there, considering they're giving the suite to families, families only, and only families that fit into the "Disney" look.
    Are you sure about that? I thought this suite was awardable to anyone. Singles. Couples. Families. Based on the first person to show up at the randomly selected location and time for the prize giveaway.

For example...if at random the "system" says "Award the suite to the first person that enters the Disney Gallery today at 10:30am"...then that person wins the suite. If they're single...they get the suite. If they are a couple...they get the suite. Etc. I didn't think anyone was allowed to select one of the major prize "winners" based on if they fit some sort of profile.

At least that's how I was told some time ago it was going to work.

• Minion

The living room looks like a teen center on a cruise ship!
    Who could look at that and be impressed? Horrible.
    Nothing in there speaks "comfort" to you.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Minion FOREVER!

Well, here's my two cents...

* I don't think this Suite is not designed as a "room where Mickey is"; it's more "Mickey-iconed to the max". It's designed to be 70s retro (yes, Disco) Mickey.

* So it's is NOT designed for outright comfort or charm. If you're looking for that then you'll be disappointed. I think it's designed to be a 70s star penthouse. .

* I agree that it really feels like (designed by committee), but probably with the time-constraints I think that was the best they could do.

* Personally, I like it somewhat; I definitely won't be paying that $500/night! But definitely, I won't decline it if it's free!

• Minion

>>It's designed to be 70s retro (yes, Disco) Mickey.<<

Having lived through the 70's, it looks nothing like that (70's, Disco or Mickey in the era) - - it's totally 80's consumer Po-Mo ala Contemporary Hotel lobby Eisner era.

The only thing missing is the mauve and confetti.

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    * Personally, I like it somewhat; I definitely won't be paying that $500/night! But definitely, I won't decline it if it's free!
    That $500 number is a pure fantasy number Disney has "valued" this suite at. A low-ball value at that. For a reason.

Before this Mickey make-over, this suite was selling for much more than $500 a night. It's my understanding that with the Mickey make-over and Million Dream prize deal...Disney deliberately lowered the suite's "value" because Disney is paying the winner's income taxes on the prize value amount, as part of the contest rules. In most contests (including past Disney ones)...it's the winners that must pay income taxes and the company usually "values" the prize at their highest full retail price (so it looks and markets like they are giving away BIG BUCKS!). In this particular contest of "dreams"...I think Disney marketing decided to pay out for the additional taxes because of the bad press they would likely have gotten from all the folks that won big prizes but then had to cough-up a big hunk of cash to pay for the taxes on them. Wouldn't be much of a "Dream Come True" if that happened. In this contest...Disney wants the winners to walk away with the prize and no additional income tax burden.

I think once the Million Dreams promo is over and if they then put this suite into general public inventory...you'll see this suite rent for at least double that $500 amount.

The question is, of course...will they ever rent this suite out to the public? Or will they de-construct it after the promotion?

So I don't think you'd ever be asked to pay $500 for that suite. If asked for real money...I'm sure it would be a lot more.

• official corn dog taster

i like it...for a night or two

• Pilot EdForceOne

I like it too. A little too much icon everywhere.. but I like the bedroom and the main living area. the white/red/orange bathroom I could do without

BTW, if this...

...reminds you of anything...it may be because you've been to or seen LAX's Encounter Restaurant:

And no coincidence there. Both Encounter and Mickey's Suite were designed (or co-designed) by WDI's Ellen Guevara.

Must love those ceiling treatments. Even 9 years later (Encounter opened in 1997).

• Disneyland Freak

^ It's the wide-angle lense used in that photograph. From that angle it looks like odd circular shapes but in reality it forms a "hidden" Mickey.

~~~~~~~~

And no, I don't agree. I LOVE the new Mickey Mouse Penthouse, I think it looks really awesome. I would definetly love to stay there!

I noticed some of the images that I posted on MouseInfo were shown in this thread so I thought I'd link to the rest of them for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/show...09324#17209324
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Sadly, I never figured out HOW to get to that restaurant just because LAX is such a sprawling piece of property. Not that it doesn't hurt that airports are a place where you either grab your luggage and get a shuttle or check in and go through security anymore.

W.D.I. should have been allowed to do more projects like Encounter. It's nice to have Disney go beyond the berms.

If Walt Disney were alive today, I think he would have gotten a kick out of the place and would have been glad to see his culture and his philosophy of art woven into the fabric of life in southern California that way. I'm speaking about Encounter and not the penthouse. Returning to the topic, the soffit, and the rest of the suite, would probably be nicer if a different kind of light was employed. But, I do also object to the use of Mickey as meaningless decoration. It smacks of Eisner's influence.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 12-12-2006 at 02:17 AM.

• I love this place!

I like it a lot, guess it just depends on your taste. BTW, if you win, do you have to stay there that night? Or do you get to schedule your stay? It would be awful to win a night there on the day you are leaving..... And how many guests can stay? I'd love to win it (of course) then be able to plan a trip with our friends. It'll never happen, but I have to be able to dream.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

^good question. Anybody know?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast