Disneyland Railroad Question & Comments

This may seem trivial, but does anyone know what Disneyland's procedure says about having an infant carseat on the railroad. My 2 1/2 year old son is a HUGE train fanatic. We ride the Disneyland Railroad at least once a week. We also have a 5 month old that is quite content in her carseat. She often sleeps in it and is easy to manage that way.

Anyways, 9 out of the 10 times we ride the railroad, I just carry the infant carseat on and hold it right next to me. Every now and then, we run into a cast member that insists we take the baby out, sleeping or not. I have asked several railroad cast members what the procedure is, but no one seems to know a straight answer. Last night, the rather rude cast member told me it was California law, which I highly doubt since railroads are regulated by federal law.

Speaking of rude cast members, I am still amazed at the low quality, trashy cast members that Disneyland is hiring. I am not one to want to complain about cast members (especially being a former cast member back in the day when cast members were tasked with creating happiness), but after hearing the comments, personal life story and horseplay on the intercom during the railroad last night, I am embarrassed. I guess you get what you pay for though.

• Closed Account

Re: Disneyland Railroad Question & Comments

Well, I don't know what the official line is regarding child seats, but the railroad is not regulated by the federal government, since it is on private property. It is considered a "ride" by the the California DOSH, however, which is why, when the Ward Kimball was being tested, an accelerometer had to be put into one of the cars to measure the "G" forces--the same way a roller coaster is tested!

Why don't you go to City Hall and see if there is an official policy re car seats?

And one other thing--try to remember the Conductors are looking out for the safety of your baby; not such a terrible thing when you think about it.

I forgot to mention, I know they are just looking out for the safety, but my wife and I both feel it is much safer with a wobbly 5 month old in the car seat.

There is a federal law that applies to railroads. and it requires that children be removed from strollers and that the strollers be collapsed. If the car seat doesn't have wheels, then there shouldn't be a problem. If you encounter someone who does not know the way to interpret the policy in your situation, you may want to ask for a second opinion because most hosts and hostesses will err on the side of caution if they are unsure.

• Closed Account

Pragmatic, the child in this case has been removed from the stroller--she's in the car seat portion of the stroller, according to the OP, and they just place the car seat on the train bench next to them (some strollers have seat units that can be removed from the stroller and used as carriers/carseats). If this is indeed the situation, I can see where there might be issues. No telling what might happen to that seat if the train was jolted suddenly because of a quick stop or start.

I can see that possibility, too. It's hard to visualize what the car seat looks like. Does it have a handle like a basket?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I can see that possibility, too. It's hard to visualize what the car seat looks like. Does it have a handle like a basket?
    Exactly.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Well, I don't know what the official line is regarding child seats, but the railroad is not regulated by the federal government, since it is on private property. It is considered a "ride" by the the California DOSH, however, which is why, when the Ward Kimball was being tested, an accelerometer had to be put into one of the cars to measure the "G" forces--the same way a roller coaster is tested!<Snip>
    I can see it now, as the Engineer (Think Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor in OshKosh's and a stripey hat) is asking the Ride Inspector "What would you *like* it to read?"

"What does this bad boy need, audience?" "More Power!!!"

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• n/a

"Fine, if you don't want her in a car seat, but us in the Lilibelle we feel more secure there" :P
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks