Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Fit Cat

What's Great About Christmastime as Disneyland

Ok, there may have very well been a post on this previously... but that's never stopped me before..!

I grew up in Los Angeles (live in the Midwest now), and our summer trip was always to Disneyland (Lord, I miss the PeopleMover). The point is, I never got to go to the park during the holiday season.

So, my question to all you good folks is this... What are the things that make being at Disneyland at Christmastime really, really special? It can be anything from the smallest holiday detail to the just the overall feeling you get and why you get it. I'm also looking forward to reading about the holiday-specific food offerings as well, especially those yummy treats that you have to hunt for in little out-of-the-way corners on Main Street and other places (there absolutely MUST be out-of-this-world gingerbread men being baked at DL).

You see, we are saving for a week-long trip to the park next Christmas (concierge at the Grand Californian no less) for a holiday / birthday spectacular (my little princess will be turning five at this time next year), and I'm really wanting to know why it's the place to be.

Thanks folks, and to the publishers, keep up the great work on the site.

-Tony

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Talking Re: What's Great About Christmastime as Disneyland

There is just something about the Christmas Tree and Decorations throughout the park. IASW all lit up and decked out, HMH in all it's glory, NOS all dressed up in garland and bulbs, the Christmas parade and of course the best part Snow on Main Street!!!
    Foolish Mortal

• dL lover from hawaii

Re: What's Great About Christmastime as Disneyland

We'll be there in a week for 5 days and I'm looking forward to everything I've read on this board, fantastic decorations, Christmas cheer, cool weather, turning on the lights of the Christmas tree and Main Street, the special seasonal goodies like the snowman apples and peppermint fudge, just the "Holiday Spirit". I've heard that folks will cry during the parade and fireworks; it's that special. I can't wait.

We've decided to do GCH w/ concierge, also, and I'm really looking forward to the treats they have in the lounge, along with the bottled water to take in and the children's storytime in the evening. Our grandkids really enjoyed that last time. Folks go up there in their pj's and robes to watch the fireworks show while the kids lay on blankets to listen to the stories. Plus Santa visits in the lobby along with carolers, it's really beautiful. And they have a heated pool, I hear. You and your little princess will enjoy yourselves, I'm sure.

ps: I really miss the Peoplemover, also. It was a neat ride, I thought.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

It's just so gorgeous during Christmas. The tree and decorations are always beautiful, the extra treats are always yummy and the characters are adorable in their holidayware The Christmas fireworks with "snow" are a favorite of ours also.

We stayed at the Grand Cal/conceirge last weekend and we loved it. My youngest loved the storytime under the tree, the desserts in the lounge were just delicious and the Santa in the lobby there is wonderful.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Directly directed

Snoap! I don't have real snow (nor do I like it, it's too cold) so snoap is awesome. The craft room in the Grand California is fantastic. A different craft everyday and you don't have to be staying there. Clearly the decorations, and really most of all is the light show on IASW. Gorgeous. Oh and the little wreaths on everyones door in Storybook Boats

• dL lover from hawaii

Question Re: What's Great About Christmastime as Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    It's just so gorgeous during Christmas. The tree and decorations are always beautiful, the extra treats are always yummy and the characters are adorable in their holidayware The Christmas fireworks with "snow" are a favorite of ours also.

We stayed at the Grand Cal/conceirge last weekend and we loved it. My youngest loved the storytime under the tree, the desserts in the lounge were just delicious and the Santa in the lobby there is wonderful.
    It sounds like you had a really great time.

We'll be there next week and I was wondering if you all watched the fireworks up there in the lounge? Was it really crowded and did they have enough food out all day for people to snack on? Oh, did you try the pool? and if so, was it warm enough?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just getting excited and want to know everything about your stay at GCH with concierge....

i love the decorations on mainstreet and IASW especially when it has the special light show at night....i love the holiday fireworks too!!

• I love this place!

-Snow on Main Street at the end of the Fireworks.
    -"A Christmas Fantasy" Parade.
    -It's a small world holiday
    -The Christmas Tree on Main Street.
    -The greenery strung across Main Street.
    -New Orleans Square Christmas decorations.
    -The weather, cool and crisp.
    -Actually doing Christmas shopping at the Happiest Place on Earth, especially when it's for your sweetie and you spot something you know he/she hasn't seen.
    -Santa's Reindeer Roundup.
    -The faces on the little kids when they see Santa Claus.
    -Minnie in her Christmas sweater.
    -The Christmas Tree in the lobby of the Grand Californian.
    -Toontown Christmas decorations.
    -Drinking hot cocoa, standing in the middle of Main Street, watching the fireworks, hugging your sweetheart as the snow starts and "White Christmas" starts playing, while surrounded by a few thousand other folks who for that brief period of time, all "get it".

Merry Christmas!

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Hi tonyrr1,

What really makes Christmas at Disneyland special to me is going over to the Blue Ribbon Bakery ordering eggnog lattes and gingerbread men, then watching the Christmas Fantasy Parade. (The snow flakes on rollerskates are so pretty and graceful.)

As others have said, all the beautiful decorations on Main Street make it an ideal place to watch the parade. Stake out your viewing spot early though.

You'll enjoy your stay at the GCH concierge, my DW and I certainly did. The C-lounge is a nice place to unwind from the press of people in the parks. Be sure to partake of the complementary adult beverages they serve. The selection of wines was nice, as were the cordials. There are two large heated pools and two good sized hot tubs. The robes provided in your rooms are very handy for making an evening trip down to those steamy pools of relaxation.

Watching candy canes being made at Candy Palace with the smell wafting out onto Main Street.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

A word about the "snow" on Mainstreet. If you've never experienced it before and have asthma or allergies, you may want to have some benedryl or your rescue inhaler on you as some people have reacted badly to it with choking and difficulty breathing.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

It's cozy.

• "714"

Quote Originally Posted by 5hr drive View Post
    -Snow on Main Street at the end of the Fireworks.
    -"A Christmas Fantasy" Parade.
    -It's a small world holiday
    -The Christmas Tree on Main Street.
    -The greenery strung across Main Street.
    -New Orleans Square Christmas decorations.
    -The weather, cool and crisp.
    -Actually doing Christmas shopping at the Happiest Place on Earth, especially when it's for your sweetie and you spot something you know he/she hasn't seen.
    -Santa's Reindeer Roundup.
    -The faces on the little kids when they see Santa Claus.
    -Minnie in her Christmas sweater.
    -The Christmas Tree in the lobby of the Grand Californian.
    -Toontown Christmas decorations.
    -Drinking hot cocoa, standing in the middle of Main Street, watching the fireworks, hugging your sweetheart as the snow starts and "White Christmas" starts playing, while surrounded by a few thousand other folks who for that brief period of time, all "get it".

Merry Christmas!

You said it! thats all of it in a nut shell. IMO the snow is the bets part! omg its such a special momet! I love it!

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i'm so excitied to be going this weekend, my husband has never seen the holiday decorations and its been...prolly 20 years since i have...its going to be a wonderful thing to share together
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Sock Puppet

I just love the season.

I really love how the "it's a small world" outdoor facade is all decked out, even though the ride itself is very underwhelming.

And also the facade has Christmas projections every 15 minutes I believe. I should know, I went to the park on the 8th (of this December) at 11:30 PM at night and the facade went completely out while I was walking towards it. I thought they had closed it! But it was just the projections kicking in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast