Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Do you own any Disney props?

I just recently bid on the fastpass sign from IASW on ebay, anyways.. does anyone else own any Disney props from the parks, cush as signs, banners, ride props etc...

Re: Do you own any Disney props?

Yes. I have many. Too many to list. Love 'em all.

• Banned User

I own a millionaire keypad...

now that mouse surplus has a new owner, it is easier to get your items you bought... (took me 2 months since i won)

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Lowering Expectations

Heehee, I just knew this was a thread you could respond to, Circarama.

btw, here's the link to the IASW Holiday sign eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/Real-Disneyland-...QQcmdZViewItem

It says no one's bid on it yet...
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Heehee, I just knew this was a thread you could respond to, Circarama.
    I know. It's ridiculous isn't it? My claim to fame... a couple of old sub props.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• I've got the Disney fever

Those sub props are incredible!!!

• I've got the Disney fever

Where do you find great stuff like props and stuff? Right place right time sort of thing?

• Huh?

I have two seats from Alien Encounter and a FedEx package that says "Needs Oxygen" from Space Mountain.
    -Tim

• Closed Account

This is an interesting topic that leads to some other questions.

While a lot of Disney "props" (for lack of a better term) are sold through legitimate channels such as MouseSurplus, a lot of stuff seems to "walk out" of Disneyland. You see these items a lot on E-bay: Costume pieces, parts of attractions, signs, etc.

Admittedly, I have several such items myself. Some were purchased from Ebay. Some came from former cast members who had them in their collections. And this is, I think, where the moral dilemma comes in.

What do you think about these pieces that seem to have come out of Disney through less-than-honest ways? If you have them in your collection, do you feel like you own stolen property? What if you never asked where the items came from, or how they were obtained: Does that ease your conscience?

We all know (or think we know) about what Disney thinks of its history. We've all heard the stories of throusands of now-priceless animation cells being unceremoniously discarded in the dumpster out back.

"If only we had been there to save these priceless pieces!" we think.

But is that what we are doing with our bits and pieces that have come directly from Disneyland? Preserving history? Or are we in fact guilty of something less than honorable in our quest for pieces of Disneyland?

I'm not passing judgment here. Like I said, I have some "props" myself. But I would like to hear what others' thoughts on the subject are.

• Minion

It just seems to be human nature to want to procure something valuable to us. I think its always been there, and I doubt it will ever change.
    My dad had a nazi arm-band from a dead German soldier. His brother snuck it out of Germany to the US. It always gave me the creeps, I didn't want to look at it. People are strangely attracted to many kinds of oddities. At least we all love something happy!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Closed Account

I'm not suggesting that what drives us is anything different than human nature!

I'm looking for something a little deeper here than just brushing it off as "human nature." That may be the reason, but I'm interested in whether you find yourself in a moral dilemma because of how some of this stuff might have been acquired.

I have alot of Disney stuff that may not have been procured thru the "proper channels". I've never given it much consideration. Maybe it's because I don't see Disney making any noise about wanting "their stuff" back.

If I knew that Disney was aggresively pursuing prosecution of people (on ebay, for example) selling items obviously procured without their permission, then I would have different perspective.

But you have to remember, much of these items were legitimately received from Disney... either as a gift for service (as is the case with some attraction posters) direct purchases from the Disneyland catalog of old (again, attraction posters) or when an attraction was demolished.

I know an ex-imagineer that has a Tiki Room artifact (thnk: weathervane)that used to sit on the very top of the Tiki Room. When they re-roofed theTiki Room some years ago, it was on a trash heap. He asked if he could have it and they told him to go ahead and take it.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Just this guy......

Circarama, at one time you were talking about putting the motion back into your props. Have you done this?

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    I know an ex-imagineer that has a Tiki Room artifact (thnk: weathervane)that used to sit on the very top of the Tiki Room. When they re-roofed theTiki Room some years ago, it was on a trash heap. He asked if he could have it and they told him to go ahead and take it.

Hmmm, If it is the artifact I am thinking of, I'm glad it found a good home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast