Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pathetically Obsessed

Disney Magic Music Days

Here's another chance for you musicians out there to tell your Magic Music day stories. Any MiceAgers out there who've been through the program and have any good stories???

For those just peeking in on the thread - Disney runs a great program for school groups to both perform in the park and be a part of clinics backstage. It's a wonderful program and I'm seriously jealous of those that get to run the program. Fun stuff and a great experience for the kids.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries
    This program has changed since I was in high school. We always used to participate once a year (and one year we got to go twice!) In fact, my bf and I joined an outside orchestra just so we could go again.

And this one time, at band camp...One time we got to play at the flag retreat with the Disneyland marching band and that was really amazing!

They used to let us stay in the park for free after we performed, but now I hear they make the kids buy tickets, discounted, but still. That's not cool, especially since those kids' parents are all going to pay to come in for the day and give their kids spending money.
    Last edited by SusieP.; 05-18-2005 at 09:38 AM. Reason: flashback!

• Pathetically Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP.
    This program has changed since I was in high school. We always used to participate once a year (and one year we got to go twice!) In fact, my bf and I joined an outside orchestra just so we could go again.

And this one time, at band camp...One time we got to play at the flag retreat with the Disneyland marching band and that was really amazing!

They used to let us stay in the park for free after we performed, but now I hear they make the kids buy tickets, discounted, but still. That's not cool, especially since those kids' parents are all going to pay to come in for the day and give their kids spending money.
    OK - you know you've got it bad when you joing an outside orchestra just to get in.
    An orchestra with the DL Band for flag retreat? Or was it some other musical group?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by InspiredByWalt
    An orchestra with the DL Band for flag retreat? Or was it some other musical group?
    No, that was marching band. I was actually in jr. high at that point and the H.S. band director used the Disneyland opportunity as a smart recruiting move. I think we all signed right up! Plus, it bulked up his numbers and made his band huge that day, which is probably how we got to do the flag retreat. A win-win!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    I did it twice in jr high and we always got to play at the Carnation Plaza Terrace
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• a kiss for a thimball

Escondido CA (1hr 15min from door to parked!)
    My brother has gotten to do it as well as my little sister... but she did it for chour... i hate that teacher so I didnt do it adn I cant play an instrument
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
    Shines in the night for you
    To tell you that the dreams you plan
    Really can come true

• Official Mice Chat person

OK - you know you've got it bad when you joing an outside orchestra just to get in.
    HAHAHA

A youth orchastra did Magic Music days just 2 months ago, I joined 3 months ago when I knew they were going to Disneyland.

Great minds think alike SusieP.

I had a great experience. (and yes, we had to buy tickets) We were in the park for 2 days, played the first day and did a workshop the second day. Wow, the workshop was amazing. We got to go backstage behind toontown into a big building where they have 2 recording studios. As our group walked into the room they had the fantasmic soundtrack playing through the speakers as prep music. I said "hey, it's fantasmic". No one knew what I was talking about Except for a lady that was in the room, She said to me "Wow, Good Job, You KNEW!" I guess she didn't realize that I'm a Disney nerd

But anyways, the conductor (who was great) gave us music to beauty and the beast, we practiced it for 10 minutes, then we recorded it using a click track. (you where headphones and it plays a metranome click) Once we recorded it, they played it back along with the scene that corisponed to the music. So we got to record the music to the movie! It sounded really cool. Not as good as the profesionals, but it still was awsome. Then we did music to the Emporers New Groove, and Peter pan. It was the best Disney expereince ever.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    we did that as well to the lion king and bambi. BTW- the Lion King is one of the hardest scores to play because Elton John has no formal training in writing music- its very complicated!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Disney Nerd

I've nevr done Magic Music Days, but I've always been soooooo jealous! My band in high school got to do community showcase. That's that bands that march before the parade. Mostly during Christmas. We did that my freshmen & seniors years....and I must say it was awesome! And, i didnt have to pay for a ticket either time, perhaps it's just the magic music days kids who do...

• Playtester

Going on what I know from doing Magic Music Days 4 times....There are two different ways to do magic music days. One, you have to pay for, and that is when you do the recording in the studio. I was in Colorguard (dance) and we danced with a few castmemebers and learned the dance to one of their shows- while the band played a few songs in the recording studio part. I know as a middle school we were trying to get picked to be in the parade, but since we weren't good enough/big enough, this was the option we were given.

Then there is the free (I believe) one when you march in a parade. I did this one 3 times, and you showed up, went into the backstage area and marched from Small world to Main Street. I remember one year playing a few songs on main street before going all the way back to where we started. Of course, my high school band was much bigger and better then the middle school band. I still remember dropping my cymbal (darn strap came undone) in the middle of main street right by the front porch area. I also got to march it with the Rose Parade Honor band back in 1999. Fun stuff! Its always exciting to do parades at Disneyland.

• Race Car Driver

The grade 9 band from my sons school is there starting tomorrow... er is it today
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• Hooterville, USA

Our high school band marched down Main Street twice. I still get goose bumps when I see a band at DL. Great memoties.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    A youth orchastra did Magic Music days just 2 months ago, I joined 3 months ago when I knew they were going to Disneyland.

Great minds think alike SusieP.

So we got to record the music to the movie! It was the best Disney expereince ever.
    See, I always knew I had a great mind! And now it's been verified, thank you.

That sounds really awesome! I don't think they offered that back in the "olden days" when I was a kid.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by fantoongal
    I've nevr done Magic Music Days, but I've always been soooooo jealous! My band in high school got to do community showcase. That's that bands that march before the parade. Mostly during Christmas. We did that my freshmen & seniors years....and I must say it was awesome! And, i didnt have to pay for a ticket either time, perhaps it's just the magic music days kids who do...
    OK - now I'm outting myself. I'm a former HS Band teacher. I have both 'performed' as the Drum Major for my univeristy's marching band, and taken several groups through MMDs. If you perform as 'entertainment' for the guests, I don't believe you have to buy tickets. I believe this is the compensation for being out in the park.

If you partake in a 'clinic', you are not entertaining the guests, but I believe that they compensate the clinician by having the group purchase discount tickets. When I took the HS Wind Ensemble there (several years ago now), we played and recorded the wedding scene from Little Mermaid. I took that same HS's Jazz Band a year before and we played out in Carnation Plaza, which was way fun - as you all can attest.

This is a great program, of which I'd bet a lot of MiceAgers may not be aware.

Now - more stories!! Any funny incidents, like playing in front of the castle with the marching band and have someone faint, taking out several trombonists, etc???

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries
    OK - now I'm outting myself. I'm a former HS Band teacher. I have both 'performed' as the Drum Major for my univeristy's marching band, and taken several groups through MMDs.
    Where did you go to college? My boyfriend was also a Drum Major at his university, too. That was so much fun. Good times!

I was in the colorguard at my college. And then they eliminated the band, and then shortly thereafter, they eliminated football. Can't have a football game without a marching band, we tried to warn them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast