• Minion

Trip Report for Sunday evening 12/10/06.

Sunday was a fun day. My fiance and I discovered there was a genuine dog beach near Huntington Beach and deciced to take our dog for a day of fun in the sun with some other of OC's furry companions. We had so much fun. On our way back we decided to drop off Kobe at home so that we could go to Disneyland and videotape the Christmas parade for her mother, who lives in Louisiana and has never been to Disneyland before. We had been making her a tape with all the cool stuff to see and do at Disneyland so that she will feel more encouraged to come and visit.

So we arrive at the parking structure without any problems. We come down the escalators and see that a tram has just left. No problem. I'm sure there is another one comming soon. 15 minutes later another tram arrives. I don't know if there was a shortage of tram drivers that day but the trams were not running quite as often as normal.

Eventually we arrive at the entrance plaze, go through security and head inside. It's almost 5:30 and the parade is in one hour so we head to the hub to claim our seats. We sit on the curb facing down the street. Now these are great seats. Whenever I videotape any parades I always enjoy taping from this position because you can see the floats comming straight at you and then they head to your left. Now, although this is a great spot to sit and watch a parade, it's not a great spot to sit. With the popcorn stand behind us there is a near constant stream of people stepping over you, around you and sometimes just stepping on you trying to go down main street. Now I don't blame them for trying, expecially when it is only people sitting on the curb. Soon, the curbside seating fills up and before you know it there are about 3-4 rows behind me. Does this stop the flow of popcorn enthusiasts from trying to get across? No. The more sensible ones will see that there is an alternate route while the more stubborn ones will still plw right through. But, like I sad, it's the price one must pay to have good seats.

Ten minutes before showtime I take out my little tripd that I usually take with me for photo's or videotaping shows and parades. It's very small and lightweight and it's easy to collapse and put away in a camera bag. So, there is my little tripod set up and my camcorder and that's when the night starts to get a little worse. A CM see's my small tripod, which is on the street, the back two legs up against the curb, my legs essentially wrapped around the front of the third leg, fully protected. The CM comes over and tells me I have to set up my tripod on the curb "For the safety of the performers" she says. "My legs stick further out than the tripod does" I tell her. "the tripod is a safety hazard. sorry". And with a smile she was off. Now I have been videotaping parades for a long time and I have always set up my little tripod on the street. It's so tiny it's barely 2 feet wide. Suddenly my dinky little tripod is a safety hazard but our legs which stick out much further than the tripod are not a safety hazard? I didn't understand this CM's logic.
    Before the parade started they had the usual Grand Marshal and winners of the Mickey Mouse suite at the Disneyland Hotel. "I bet the winners are your typical american family. One mom, one dad, 2-3 kids and white" I told my fiance before they arrived. Sure enough, the McClaine family was driven down the street and just as predicted....one mom, one dad and three strapping young boys. It made me wonder if we will ever hear a Ramirez family, a Chung family or any other nationality.

After the parade, like a miracle of Christmas, it began to drizzle quite heavily. We had gotten what we came for and proceeded out of the park, along with a million other people. The tram loading areas looked like one mass of humanity. No lines, no organization, just people jammed together. And, like I mentioned before, the trams were so innefficient that two trams had just left and there were no trams to be seen for quite a while. Meanwhile the crowd was getting bigger and bigger and starting to spill out into the downtown Disney esplenade. We decided to just walk to the structure instead and 10 minutes later we were at the escalator. I don't know what the deal was with the trams that day but it really made me miss the old parking lot.

It was a simple trip but it didn't feel very magical for some reason. I guess the magic machines were turned off that day or something.

Re: Trip Report for Sunday evening 12/10/06.

*raises hand* Pick me! I know! The parade CMs are asked to hold each guest to the same standards. Since large tripods are in the street and are a threat to the performers, they make it universal and say ALL tripods, regardless of size.
    It takes the subjectivity out of it. It's so you can safely say "it's a tripod... it needs to go" rather than "I think it's a large tripod, so you probably should..."

On another note, I've been there for "the Ramirez family" as the Grand Marshalls for the parade.

And, ah shoot, sorry about the magic machines. I guess I tripped on them on my way out.

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Before the parade started they had the usual Grand Marshal and winners of the Mickey Mouse suite at the Disneyland Hotel. "I bet the winners are your typical american family. One mom, one dad, 2-3 kids and white" I told my fiance before they arrived. Sure enough, the McClaine family was driven down the street and just as predicted....one mom, one dad and three strapping young boys. It made me wonder if we will ever hear a Ramirez family, a Chung family or any other nationality.
    Yes,they do have different races as grand marshals.

• Banned User

Awesome report! Any photos?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Awesome report! Any photos?

Unfortunatly no....the rain kinda prevented me from taking my camera out and taking pics.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

You musta hit the trams at a bad time 'cu they were working just fine for us... We left about 8:30 and they had both sets of trams running. We didn't wait very long, though once ON the tram we waited a bit - I think people were on the wrong one. But no long waits.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...