Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Disneyland Trip 5-17-05 with pictures.

Victoria and I visited Disneyland yesterday and I've brought back some pictures. It was a perfect Southern California day... sunny and warm. The park wasn't too full, which made lines quite short. Our longest wait was 30 minutes for the Jungle Cruise. 25 minutes for Indy and 10 minutes for POTC. Teacups were practically a walk-on and with FP for Buzz, we rode twice.

The day started with a visit to the 50 Years of Memories exhibit. This is well worth seeing! The concept art, memorabilia and scale model of Disneyland 1955 are fascinating. The film starring Steve Martin was funny, nostalgic and will bring a tear to the dedicated Disneyland fan.

Main Street USA. You can see the crowds are light today.

A little further up Main Street on our way to Adventureland. The castle decorations are wonderful.

After a short wait, we boarded the newly refurbished Jungle Cruise. The boats are themed more to the Indy look... brown and well-used. It works. No sign of the Golden Boat today, though.

On JC near the Indy queue.

Not a great shot, but it shows the brilliant color returned to JC.

Many have mentioned that part of Disneyland's charm is it's relatively small size. I like the "mix" shown here. Can you spot Sleeping Beauty's Castle?

Rivers Of America from a different angle.

Victoria and I asked another guest to take our picture. After he snapped the shot he asked, "Have you ever eaten there?" Victoria was able to say yes. He answered back that he had too. I stayed silent. Perhaps someday...

I just liked this shot.

The Teacups always look cheerful and fun! The golden cup is front and center here. They don't spin fast enough, though!

OK... that's the end of the photographs. I got tired of carrying the camera around so it went to the locker. Tomorrowland is looking much, much better, but there's still a lot to be done. It's in a sort-of halfway place now, in my opinion. We got a quick look at the submarine lagoon while riding the Matterhorn Bobsleds (another short wait!) It looks really strange drained.

We also visited DCA for some wine, cheese and the Block Party Bash. The winery is a good viewing spot while you sip. We liked the parade a lot. Very high energy, colorful and fun!

It was then back to DL for some food and to find a good viewing spot for the fireworks. We find a spot between the hub and the castle... which proved to be perfect. What an awesome display! Wonderful effects.

...then it was over and time to go. But there was one more bit of magic yet to happen. As we passed under the tunnel to exit, all the DLRR cast members stood above us, smiled, waved and said "Goodnight!" It made you wonder whether you were going home... or leaving home.

Here's a few more observations:
    GOOD:
    1. On our boat in POTC was a group of girls (probably British from their accents) who were riding for the first time. It was fun to hear their comments.... especially when we realized that they thought the ride was inspired by the film, not visa-versa!

2. The park sparkles!

BAD:

1. Food service. Don't get me started. This is a topic for a whole other thread. No Dole Whips. The machine was broken and the CM was busy talking on the phone. You'd think they could afford a backup machine. Waited 30 minutes for a couple of hot dogs at Coca Cola Corner. There were about 6-7 ahead of me in line, but it still took about 5 minutes per guest. They're already pre-cooked! C'mon... McDonald's has figured it out. We wanted to eat at Rancho Zocalo, but they closed long before the park closed... as did most of the other "sit-down" places. This put a tremendous burden on the walk-up places who began to run out of food and experience long lines. This division could use some work.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    It made you wonder whether you were going home... or leaving home.
    That about sums it up for me. Well said, Tom. And thanks for the wonderful pictures, as usual.

• For old time sake

Tom I love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Greetings, Program!

BAD:

1. Food service. Don't get me started. This is a topic for a whole other thread. No Dole Whips. The machine was broken and the CM was busy talking on the phone. You'd think they could afford a backup machine. Waited 30 minutes for a couple of hot dogs at Coca Cola Corner. There were about 6-7 ahead of me in line, but it still took about 5 minutes per guest. They're already pre-cooked! C'mon... McDonald's has figured it out. We wanted to eat at Rancho Zocalo, but they closed long before the park closed... as did most of the other "sit-down" places. This put a tremendous burden on the walk-up places who began to run out of food and experience long lines. This division could use some work.

Ditto. I felt that food services has really dropped the ball. We were there on Sunday and were lucky enough to get Dole Whips.....but only after a staggering 45 minute wait. Two lines snaked out from that stand, one inside the Tiki queue, and one out into Adventureland. One girl was handling both, and she was moving pretty slow as well.....even stopping to take a phone call.

When dinner time rolled around, the group was shocked to find Club Buzz shuttered for the day. The sun had not even set yet by this point.

As I stood in line at Coke Corner half the registers were closed and the lines extended out the door onto the sidewalk.

I had a great time with my fellow MiceChatters, but next time I'm bringing my own stuff. It was ridiculous.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• All you need is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000
    D
    I had a great time with my fellow MiceChatters, but next time I'm bringing my own stuff. It was ridiculous.
    i agree....

• Still wants to be a cat!

Thanks for sharing a bit of your trip with us...always nice to hear about a Disneyland trip. Too bad you weren't there on the 16th, we all would have loved to meet you!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

Agreed with other coments..... Food service sucks.

At noon we ate at Plaza Inn, and there was 1 register open per side and it took 10-15 minutes to check out. The lady working the cobb salid station was swamped... working hard but swamped.

Then the Dole Whip debacle.... 40-45 minutes on the inside Tiki Room waitng area side. While the others were waiting for their Dole Whip, I ran to the ODV in the old Adventuraland Bazarr location for a coke. The line on the outside of the Dole booth was twice as long as the line on the inside.

Seems the ONLY place you don't have to wait forever for food are the ODV carts.

• Minion

I was there yesterday too. I think I saw you! That shirt your wearing is rather noticable!

• My arms are tired!

Great pics! Thanks for posting them, they're always a pleasure!

Snow

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

That's my "Mickey & Goofy Surfing" shirt... won as a prize in this past spring's Mouse Adventure! I guess it's eye-catching. While in DCA, one of the green soldiers also picked me out of the crowd for some good-natured ribbing.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

• I was deleted.

Here's a few more observations:
    GOOD:
    1. On our boat in POTC was a group of girls (probably British from their accents) who were riding for the first time. It was fun to hear their comments.... especially when we realized that they thought the ride was inspired by the film, not visa-versa!

2. The park sparkles!

BAD:

Thank you so much for the pictures!!!!!!!!

Personally I had some girls that were about 13, probably locals who thought the same thing and I found it annoying. The attraction has been there so long and there is also a 30th anniversary sign when you enter. Oh well, maybe someday they'll figure it out.

I must agree with the food service. The Ranch was closing at 3pm each day it was open, if it was when I wad there in Jan. The odd part was I couldn't see it open and Cast Members kept directing us there for dinner when we asked where to go to get the AP dining pin. (I usually tend to go into Fantasayland in the morning and around to Adventureland or Tomorrowload, so I never really walked past it.) I really hope this doesn't happen in July. It seems that so many of the kids on the college program get accepted in food service roles, so if that is how WDW keeps it under control then DLR needs a similiar solution to their problem!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

One thing I forgot to mention. Since it was mentioned on another thread, I was really looking forward to the battle scene in POTC to see the new "splashier" cannonballs. WHOA! For so long, they just sort of "blooped." Sometimes the underwater light wouldn't even come on. Now they are like geysers! I'm not kidding... water shoots 12 feet or more into the air! This makes it so much more exciting... and you just might get wet.

• Rainicorn.

One thing I forgot to mention. Since it was mentioned on another thread, I was really looking forward to the battle scene in POTC to see the new "splashier" cannonballs. WHOA! For so long, they just sort of "blooped." Sometimes the underwater light wouldn't even come on. Now they are like geysers! I'm not kidding... water shoots 12 feet or more into the air! This makes it so much more exciting... and you just might get wet.
    That is HOT! I can't wait to see it...

I love your pictures, Tom. They're lovely.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    Has tinkerbell been making it out?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Has tinkerbell been making it out?
    I'm assuming you mean during the fireworks show? Her flight was flawless when we were there. I must admit, though, I wish they could figure out a way to camouflage the "carriage" on the cables. It was distracting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast