• Sock Puppet

Question Cokes Corner launching spot removed from Remember?

I saw the show last night and noticed that the one spot near Cokes Corner was not working. Then I remembered someone posting on here that it didn't work when they went to see the show. Have they removed it completely from the show? Anyone know?

• insufferable know-it-all

Before fireworks they let off a bunch of balloons to check wind direction. My guess is that they use that info to decide whether to let a launch station operate or not.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Puppy Cuddles

How do they get away with letting off a bunch of balloons? Isn't that litering? Oh well, the Coke Corner launcher seemed to be working on Sunday, but I was all the way up near the castle (on the right, no less. farthest from Coke Corner). I did see the explosions on both sides of Main Street during the Star Tours sequence.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

Per state law, the park is required to launch balloons from all launch sites minutes prior to the fireworks to test wind direction, speed, etc. If you look around five to ten minutes proior to the show, you will see medium sized white balloons being let go. This is done by members of the Disneyland Fire Department. The DFD and the Fireworkls stage manager then make the final call before the show as to which locations will be used and hich won't. This is controled by computer and they can turn the locations on and off at will.

As for the fireworks themselves, Disney uses special technology that allows the shells to explode within .2 of a second while in the air. Each shell is fitted with a microchip and a detanator. The detanators go off when they recieve a signal from the computer.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Newseditor44
    Per state law, the park is required to launch balloons from all launch sites minutes prior to the fireworks to test wind direction, speed, etc. If you look around five to ten minutes proior to the show, you will see medium sized white balloons being let go. This is done by members of the Disneyland Fire Department. The DFD and the Fireworkls stage manager then make the final call before the show as to which locations will be used and hich won't. This is controled by computer and they can turn the locations on and off at will.

As for the fireworks themselves, Disney uses special technology that allows the shells to explode within .2 of a second while in the air. Each shell is fitted with a microchip and a detanator. The detanators go off when they recieve a signal from the computer.
    Fascinating. I did notice the white balloons. It seemed like a lot of tots were losing their toys at the same time! I've also wondered how they time the blasts so closely to the music. Thank you!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    I believe the Coke Corner location, in particular, tends to not fire due to the fact that normal wind (from the west) tends to blow ash right into the crowd, so it doesn't take much wind to make that launch location not possible.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Official Mice Chat person

That was some great info Newseditor.

• Minion

I noticed on monday that there was a strong wind from the south that made them cancel the golden horseshoe, plaza inn, coke corner, and photo supply launch locations. I guess this is to prevent the smoke from blowing into the crowds. The buzz lightyear and rancho del zocalo launch locations continued though, and ALL launch locations werre on for the stretching room launch.

• Shubisha

I doubt the stretching room ever gets chucked out unless there's a serious safety concern. It shoots up fast enough that wind barely sways it and it's not even an explosion it's just like a flare. So watch out birds! Don't get too comfy in a spot just because they're not using it that night

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    I doubt the stretching room ever gets chucked out unless there's a serious safety concern. It shoots up fast enough that wind barely sways it and it's not even an explosion it's just like a flare. So watch out birds! Don't get too comfy in a spot just because they're not using it that night
    Parts of the stretching room were turned off on Monday as the wind was bloing into the park... saw it with my own two eyes.