• I <3 Clarinet.

Amtrak to Disneyland?

I know this has been discussed profusely in the "Mass Transit to Disneyland" thread, but I'm still a bit confused about making a trip up from San Diego.

Next week, my friends and I are planning a trip up to Disneyland up from San Diego via the Pacific Surfliner. I, though, am not quite sure whether to get off from Fullerton or Anaheim and then what transportation method is most expedient between those two train station. There's five of us, and we were considering taking a taxi, but if the bus/shuttle transportation is cheaper and more efficient, I think it would be best to use that.

Also, all of us are going to be first time APers on this trip and are planning to buy AP vouchers from the military MWR. Does anyone know if we have to jump through any hurdles before getting into the park with AP vouchers? We're all prepared to wait at the Bank for AP processing once we get in the gates before running for Space Mountain fastpasses.

Thanks for your help!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Amtrak to Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyThenFall View Post
    I know this has been discussed profusely in the "Mass Transit to Disneyland" thread, but I'm still a bit confused about making a trip up from San Diego.

Next week, my friends and I are planning a trip up to Disneyland up from San Diego via the Pacific Surfliner. I, though, am not quite sure whether to get off from Fullerton or Anaheim and then what transportation method is most expedient between those two train station. There's five of us, and we were considering taking a taxi, but if the bus/shuttle transportation is cheaper and more efficient, I think it would be best to use that.

Also, all of us are going to be first time APers on this trip and are planning to buy AP vouchers from the military MWR. Does anyone know if we have to jump through any hurdles before getting into the park with AP vouchers? We're all prepared to wait at the Bank for AP processing once we get in the gates before running for Space Mountain fastpasses.

Thanks for your help!
    If I was coming from the north, I *might* get off at the Fullerton station and take a cab or bus up Harbor, but coming from the south, the Anaheim station is clearly the way to go. There are busses, including a direct bus to Disneyland, but the times are odd. Amtrak used to have a shuttle from the station to Disneyland for an extra change (http://www.cwrr.com/Amtrak/wc_sd_s.html) If the Amtrak shuttle times are inconvenient, I would just hail or call a cab, butI think they run just a couple of minutes after the morning trains arrive. By cab, you'll be at the front gate before the train rolls into the Fullerton station.

Here's the contact info and stuff:
    Anaheim

2150 E. Katella
    (Anaheim Stadium)
    Anaheim, CA 92807
    Phone: 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245)
    Route: Pacific Surfliner

Anaheim Amtrak station is located at the north end of the Edison Field parking lot (2150 E. Katella 92806). The station is used by both Amtrak's Pacific Surfliners and Metrolink commute trains. There is generally plenty of parking, although it is reduced somewhat when Angels baseball games are scheduled. It's only a short walk across the lot to the Stadium. If you want/need a car while in Anaheim, Hertz offers special rates and car rental services. Disneyland is just a few miles from the Anaheim station.

STAFFED HOURS

6:15 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
    Restrooms, pay phones, baggage service and vending machines are available at the Anaheim Station.

RAIL SERVICES

Amtrak 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or www.amtrak.com
    Pacific Surfliner -- (San Diego to San Luis Obispo)
    San Joaquin -- (Rail/Thruway Bus Connection via Los Angeles to San Joaquin Valley points including Stockton, Sacramento and the Bay Area)

Metrolink 1-800-371-LINK (5465)
    www.metrolinktrains.com

Speech and Hearing Impaired
    1-800-698-4TDD (4833)

LOCAL PUBLIC TRANSIT

Buses

Orange County Transportation Authority 1-714-636-RIDE (7433)

OCTA bus stops in front of the Anaheim Amtrak Station. (San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Irvine, Santa Ana, Anaheim, Fullerton, Costa Mesa, Laguna Beach)

Shuttle Vans

Super Shuttle 1-714-517-6600
    Airport Bus 1-714-938-8901
    All vans require advance reservations

Taxis

Yellow Cab 1-714-535-2211
    (Direct phone lines to Yellow Cab are located in the station.)
    West Coast Taxicab 1-714-547-8000
    Or call 1-800-TAXICAB (829-4222)

• Senior Minion

I don't think you'd have any problems with vouchers. Once you go through the gate they should tell you to process them at the "bank" on Main Street. There is a good sized line that forms there at times, so getting there a bit early might help you.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

First off, ART now services the Amtrak Station at Anaheim, but I don't think they sell tickets, so it would cost $6 a person round trip.

As for the local bus service, it is a MAJOR pain to get to the nearest bus stop from the Anaheim station, which is on Katella (Route 50) and you get left off at the 7-11 on Katella, so you need to walk about 3/4'rs of a mile to the park...

If you get off at the Fullerton Station, the OCTA bus is right across the street (Route 43), and runs every 15 minutes. Just $1.25 one way, and drops you off at the Main Entrance to Disneyland.

If you plan to take a cab, I would get off at Anaheim if coming from the south (aka San Diego), and Fullerton is you are coming from the North (Union Station) the distance is about the same, and most fares are cheaper if you get off one stop earlier on the train.... (Taxi should be about $10 one way plus tip from either station)

As for the AP vouchers, just head to the Disneyland turnstiles, the voucher will be scanned and you are allowed in. Then just head to the right and find the Bank of Main Street, where they will exchange the voucher and take your photo, and give you the "real" AP.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• official corn dog taster

i have done it a few times and i get off at the anahiem station and take a cab...much better than driving!!

• Rock Star Minion

With five, I'd take a cab. It will be more efficient, since there is likely one there. If you want, you can call for a cab ahead of time. With buses or shuttles, you have to hope that there is one there when you arrive AND that it goes straight to DL. Otherwise, you're wasting daylight, soldier.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I <3 Clarinet.

Thanks for all your help everyone! I'm my group of friend's resident Disneyland geek and just needed some help with the transportation issue.