Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having an A.P ruin it for kids???

Do you think kids (5-?yrs) and having an annual pass would ruin the magic for them?
    1.Meaning they could go as much as possible and one day the magic/interest would be gone?
    2.Going to Disneyland wouldn't be such a big deal for them since they can go numerous times?

I just remember when I was a kid and we would go once a year with my grandfather's company. (So.Cal gas) It was always on a Friday and you couldn't keep me still! I can remember going through my old Disneyland picture book getting read for the nights activites. Watching the Mickey Mouse club and catching a glimpse of Disneyland and saying, "Im there tonight!" I don't see this happening with my nieces and nephews with AP's and it's kinda sad Any thoughts????

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Having an A.P ruin it for kids???

My daughter has had an AP since she was 5. She still gets excited every time we go to the park. It hasn't ruined the magic for her one bit. Plus, I get to enjoy singing the entire Tiki Room spiel with her even when we're not at the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

When I was young my family all got annual passes. We live in Northern California and would take trips down to the resort about 2-3 times per year on 4-5 day long vacations a pop. This was until they hiked up prices in general for the resort and passes. I think they were around $99 for a general AP the last time we purchased them. So from that perspective I would say the magic has not worn off at all. But this is about 21 days a year at the most.

Blog Entries

Just don't go every week if you want to keep that giddy feeling. I have an AP in Florida and I don't get quite as excited as I once did when I'd only be able to go every few years or so. You know the kind where you can't sleep, and you can't work because all you can think of is your trip.

However I still have a magical time everytime I go and I actually enjoy the parks more since I don't feel like I have to rush rush rush to see everything that week. If I don't see something on a trip, I can always come back a few weeks later.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Well, everyone is different. My kids will be getting their first APs when mine expires in Feb and Ill keep getting them till I notice them not really wanting to go anymore. Just with how often we go (at least once a month) its worth it to buy one.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Any thoughts????
    None other than I think you're mostly correct that too-frequent visitations can produce an entirely different experience (and often a lesser one at that) for many kids.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I have lived near Disneyland all of my life. Prior to 1990 I was able to get in free most of the time anyway, so it was almost like having an Annual Pass when I never actually had one.

When I was a kid (I was 5 in 1972) I would go all the time. If I couldn't get in for free, the ticket prices were not priced too high to where we couldn't get in any time we wanted, anyway.

I wouldn't say it ruined it for me at all. If anything, it has made it even better. For me, Disneyland is a intrinsic part of my life. When I offer my opinions, these are all based on my own personal experiences having grown up with the park. In my 38 years I have seen the best and the worst. No doubt this is due to my upbringing and literally the hundreds of times that I have been there throughout my life.

Now, my 8 year old son and I have passes. I love taking him there. Every time I go I tell him a little bit how things were when I was his age. He is really fascinated by what I tell him. I hope he keeps all of this in mind, when it is up to his generation to mold Disneyland into the fantasy that this future generation will get to experience.

I wouldn't say it would 'ruin it' but of course it is going to be different than only going once a year. We bought our family annual passes when they first started offering them and now we buy them for the next generation as well. We still all love going as often as is practical (about fifty times a year) and I wouldn't say that that the experience has been ruined. But it is different to do something rarely than to do it frequently and if you feel that the planning and waiting and 'absence makes the heart grow stronger' anticipation is an important part of the experince I would say don't get APs. I, myself, prefer the familiarity of going often than the big build up to an annual who-haw. In fact, we often comment on how much nicer it is to just drop in for a few attractions and a parade and not have to do the crazed rain-or-shine, rope-drop 'til closing exhaust-o-thon.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMousie View Post
    In fact, we often comment on how much nicer it is to just drop in for a few attractions and a parade and not have to do the crazed rain-or-shine, rope-drop 'til closing exhaust-o-thon.
    This is so true...

Yes, I do the all day exhausting thing, but often I stop in just for a few attractions or whatever after work. It always amuses me looking at the other people. They always look soooo tired! It's funny.

But I don't poke too much fun because when I go for a whole day, I know I probably look the same way.

Disneyland can be a work-out! LOL

My kids seem to enjoy it more than when we used to live in WA and do our annual trip. Now we can go once a week and just spend a few hours there.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Now, my 8 year old son and I have passes. I love taking him there. Every time I go I tell him a little bit how things were when I was his age. He is really fascinated by what I tell him. .
    This is so fun. My grandson (age 3 1/2) asks me EVERYTIME we pass the location of the Motor Boat Cruise if I am sad that it is gone. And I say 'yes' and he says he is also...and sighs.

• Minion

Personally, I appreciate Disneyland more now as an adult because I didn't get to go all the time. I used to go once or twice every 2 years, and now that I have my own pass that I bought on my own, I have a whole new appreciation for the park.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

[quote=snappy;1195576]Do you think kids (5-?yrs) and having an annual pass would ruin the magic for them?
    1.Meaning they could go as much as possible and one day the magic/interest would be gone?
    2.Going to Disneyland wouldn't be such a big deal for them since they can go numerous times?

Since a 5-yr old can only go to Disneyland as often as you do, I'd say you are in complete control of any scenario in which they become over-exposed. Whether you buy an AP for them, or not, they can still only go when you take them.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I don't think it has ruined the experience at all. To the contrary, it is nice to roll into the park without feeling the stress of needing to see it all and go commando on the park all day. If we get there and the day is not going well, or the weather is bad, or the lines are too long, we just call it a day. Sure, the novelty of going to Disneyland is not the same as it is for some kid who only gets there every three years, but we replace that thrill with the thrill of some other new and exciting place, be that a national park, a foreign country, or even another Disney Park. Paris anyone?

• MiceFanatic

I agree with what most have said. My son is only 3 1/2 months old and he's already been to the park more times than I can count. He's an old pro at Pirates/Small World/Winnie the Pooh/Storybook Land already. Sure, we're never going to have that first magical walk-into-Disneyland wide-eyed toddler experience, but instead I'll have the memories of taking him on his first ride when he was 10 days old at one of my most favorite places ever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast