• It's all nonsense

Desert Inn and Suites

Okay so we wanted a really close and relatively cheap place to stay for our trip in Jan. My wife had stayed at the Desert Inn and suites several years ago and suggested we stay there. So the price was great and it's right across the street from the DL entrance.
    But I was wondering if anyone has experience with this place. I'm hoping this place isn't a dump. Tripadvisor users gave it mostly 3-4 out of 5 so that eases my mind a bit.

/Prepares for possible horror stories.

• Drunk On Disney

Re: Desert Inn and Suites

There was a thread on this a while back:
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ert+inn+suites

Apparently there are two hotels with very similar names in the area, the Desert Palms Inn and the Desert Inn!

• It's all nonsense

Thanks for the link. Sorry for the duplicate thread.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Okay so we wanted a really close and relatively cheap place to stay for our trip in Jan. My wife had stayed at the Desert Inn and suites several years ago and suggested we stay there. So the price was great and it's right across the street from the DL entrance.
    But I was wondering if anyone has experience with this place. I'm hoping this place isn't a dump. Tripadvisor users gave it mostly 3-4 out of 5 so that eases my mind a bit.

/Prepares for possible horror stories.
    OK.... We have stayed here many times. We love it. The rooms are big. The rooms are old (but clean.) The pool is mediocre. The location is FABULOUS. It is just a few steps south of the crosswalk. Its not a Hilton or Marriotts.. But is a nice clean room with a fridge and microwave. My kids prefer it to the other places because of location.

Negative/horror story... They don't understand how to release holds on debit cards. This is not an issue if you pay with a CREDIT card. However, I often use a debit card to hold the room (they charge the card 1st night 48 hours prior to arrival.) Then pay cash. So, now I have paid for the room, BUT my debit card still has a hold on it for 7 days. It took a manager to get the hold released. Now I know not to let them authorize a debit card and either use a credit card, or send them a MO for the first night.

We will be staying here again in June, a family suite for $129, sleeps 10!!
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 12-14-2006 at 08:25 AM.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    We will be staying here again in June, a family suite for $129, sleeps 10!!
    Wow thats a steal.
    The prices are great. I'm not expecting anything spectacular, as long as it's clean I don't mind it being old.

We didn't get a suite but a regular 'deluxe' room for 2 adults and 1 child for $69/night. Most of the places surrounding it were going upwards of $100 for the MLK weekend.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

We've stayed there twice, the first time was with no issues at all the second was with a lot of issues. The windows on the third floor opened all the way with no screens(we had little kids at the time) The rooms(we had the huge family suite) were missing refridgerators, the continental breakfast had fruit that was soft and bad. It wasn't any ONE thing that was bad but a lot of little things that added up.

Stinkerbell just stayed at the Desert Palms and she loved it.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

We just got back from there. We stayed a week. We didn't have any problems (other than the fact that my toddler found a fake finger nail with sparkles on it near the wall after we had been there for 3 days (not ours yuck) so evidently the maids had missed vacuming there repeatedly.) Other than that one thing it was fine and we would go back. Can't beat the location! Only takes 10 minutes at a very slow walk to make it to the front gate!

• Man O Lantern

I stayed at the Desert Inn on Harbor with my middle daughter four years ago for $44/nt. I booked a King Suite, but they gave us a handicapped room, double queen. It was huuuuuge and had just been refurbished--new carpets, wallpaper, painting, beds. The bathroom was the size of most hotel rooms.

The only major problem I had was the pool--it was super dirty. My phone was broken....didn't work the entire time we were there. The hallways outside are dark and scary looking, esp. as compared to the nice rooms. Plus they smelled. The "continental breakfast" was oranges that were green, apples the size of grapes, and toast made from the cheapest bread on the planet. Gross!

We just stayed a week at the Desert Palms on Katella and it was amazing. It's now my favorite non-resort hotel. It's beautiful and the suite we had was roomy and inexpensive. The refurb on the place is extensive--it's a beautiful hotel inside and out. I read some of the Trip Advisor reviews and was but having stayed at the Desert Inn on Harbor, I knew some of those reviews were about the wrong hotel--they mentioned the hallways and pool, too. Plus they said it's across the street from the park gates....and it's not.

If you're not expecting the Ritz and you want to stay nearby, the Desert Inn will work. But I'll be honest, I like BW Park Place Inn better!

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    Stinkerbell just stayed at the Desert Palms and she loved it.
    The Desert Palms is a different place. I'm sure you realize this, but for anyone that might get confused, this is the place we're talking about.

• Man O Lantern

The Desert Palms is a different place. I'm sure you realize this, but for anyone that might get confused, this is the place we're talking about.
    She knows--I posted above for clarification.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    She knows--I posted above for clarification.
    Okay, sorry for repitition

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I'm aware of that, I was just giving you another option.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

Blog Entries

this is the only place we stay anymore, either here or at the del sol right next door. both are great! never had any problems with them!