Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb What is an Attraction?

It sounds like a really question, but something I have given some thought to. A buddy and me recently did everything that was an attraction at DCA, and now have turned our attention to Disneyland. However, in the park map there are alot of weird things that are counted as attractions but really just seem to be extraneous or there to artificially boost an attraction count, something that Disneyland does not really need.
    So we decided to come up with our own formula of what is considered an attraction, and let's se what everyone else thinks. The criteria what is considered an attraction is fourfold. (1) It must possess turnstiles or in some way counts guests. (2) It must be continuously operating. That discounts Aladdin's Oasis and Billy Hill, those are shows, not attractions. (3) It must included with park admission. This takes out the Shootin' Exposition. (4) It must be operated by Attractions Castmembers. This is the big one, since it takes out Starcade, the Gallery, Chip n' Dales Treehouse, and Donald's Boat. This leaves with according to our count 44 Attractions. The list is as follows:
    Main Street U.S.A- (7) Disneyland Railroad, 50th Exhibit, Main Street Cinema, Omnibus, Horse-Drawn Streetcars, Horseless Carriage, Fire Engine
    Adventureland- (4) Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Indy, Tarzan.
    New Orleans Square- (2) Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion
    Critter Country- (3) Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes.
    Frontierland- (5) Big Thunder Mountain, Mark Twain, Colombia, Rafts to Tom Sawyers Island/TSI, Big Thunder Ranch
    Fantasyland- (12) Matterhorn Bobsleds, 'it's a small world', Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, Snow White, the Carousel, Dumbo, Casey Jr., Storybook Canal Boats, Alice in Wonderland, Mad Tea Party.
    Mickey's Toontown- (4) Mickey's House and Meet Mickey, Goofy's Playhouse, Gadget's GoCoaster, Roger Rabbit
    Tomorrowland- (7) Space Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz, HISTA, Innoventions, Monorail, Autopia.
    And there you have it. If anyone else has any ideas/opinions on what does or does not constitute an attraction, please post away. Also if anyone finds any defects in our choices please, I'm curious as to what should and should not be counted.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Re: What is an Attraction?

I can agree with that. I've also found it odd that they count the Starcade as an "attraction." I mean I guess in a sense it is, but come on, if it is it's a pretty lame attraction!

...Joe...

• Dumbo Love driving me mad

An attraction is something that "attracts". Disneyland is one giant attraction!

• It's all nonsense

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by gemaedhi View Post
    Hehe exactly. Attractions consists of rides, exhibits, and yes, even arcades that may be of interest to guests. To exclude anything in the park from the listing would be a disservice to the guest. Even if you don't care for arcades in the park, there are people that would find it helpful to know that it's there and where it's located. Even if you pay to fire a rifle in the shooting exhibition, it's still "entertainment" which falls in the "attractions" category.

Live acts, characters and performances don't count as "attractions" since their schedule may vary depending on weather or other natural causes. Which is why they're on a seperate entertainment pamphlet.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

I don't think number one should count. Some rides don't even have turnstiles and they are bonafide E-tickets! In fact, the only ones rides that I can remember which do contain turnstiles are Indy and Splash Mountain.
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 12-14-2006 at 03:15 PM.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I don't think number one should count. Some rides don't even have turnstyles and they are bonafide E-tickets! In fact, the only ones rides that I can remember which do contain turnstiles are Indy and Splash Mountain.
    POTC had turnstyles when you exited...as does HM. But now the POTC 'turnstyles' are just electronic overhead ones that counts people without them having to go through anything.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    POTC had turnstyles when you exited...as does HM. But now the POTC 'turnstyles' are just electronic overhead ones that counts people without them having to go through anything.
    But I remember visiting Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea and none of the rides contained any turnstiles. Reason why I feel number one to be invalid.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by gemaedhi View Post

True. Anything that "attracts" someone can be considered an "attraction". And DL (and most everything in it) is definitely an attraction.

Or as in a person..."attractive". (I'd probably get slapped if I called my spouse an "attraction". hehe

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

"Attraction" is what you feel when you see the sizzling hot cover of "Hot Girls" magazine -- On sale now at Downtown Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Hehe exactly. Attractions consists of rides, exhibits, and yes, even arcades that may be of interest to guests. To exclude anything in the park from the listing would be a disservice to the guest. Even if you don't care for arcades in the park, there are people that would find it helpful to know that it's there and where it's located. Even if you pay to fire a rifle in the shooting exhibition, it's still "entertainment" which falls in the "attractions" category.

Live acts, characters and performances don't count as "attractions" since their schedule may vary depending on weather or other natural causes. Which is why they're on a seperate entertainment pamphlet.
    This is a good point. But if you count everything that may be of interests to guests that would also include merchandise locations, character meet and greets, parades, fireworks, and even photo ops.
    The rationale that live acts, characters, and performances don't count as "attractions" is because their schedule may vary depending on weather or natural causes is I believe insufficient. The reason being that many Disney attractions are affected by natural causes (Tea Cups, Alice and the like) and some do not operate every day either (Explorer Canoes, all the main street vehicles, the Colombia).

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
    "Attraction" is what you feel when you see the sizzling hot cover of "Hot Girls" magazine -- On sale now at Downtown Disney!
    Good one!

• Santa Barbara, CA

I just asked Ed Grier. He said " 20,000 Leagues."
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I don't think number one should count. Some rides don't even have turnstiles and they are bonafide E-tickets! In fact, the only ones rides that I can remember which do contain turnstiles are Indy and Splash Mountain.
    Possibly. But not all turnstiles are the entrance, some are at the exit and many use electronic measures. Furthermore some other attractions (such as I believe Goofy's Playhouse) instead jut use a Cast Member who manually does the counts.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet View Post
    This is a good point. But if you count everything that may be of interests to guests that would also include merchandise locations, character meet and greets, parades, fireworks, and even photo ops.
    The rationale that live acts, characters, and performances don't count as "attractions" is because their schedule may vary depending on weather or natural causes is I believe insufficient. The reason being that many Disney attractions are affected by natural causes (Tea Cups, Alice and the like) and some do not operate every day either (Explorer Canoes, all the main street vehicles, the Colombia).
    It's true that most Disney attractions are affected by natural causes, but they at least run constantly if weather is good and if they're not closed for rehab.

Shows run at certain times. Characters may not be out and about when you want them to be. Live acts are only here and there and at certain times depending on the day. If a performer is ill and they can't find a replacement, that might lead to a cancelled performance. If a cast member is ill, another cast member will fill in.

Those are reasons why I didn't group them to be "attractions" on a Disneyland guide map.... but they certainly are attractions in their own right and add to why Disneyland is so special to all of us.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast