Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCM
    Another good idea could be using the infamous disneyland effect of pumping the smells of vanilla out on mainstreet and the smell of popcorn out of the popcorn ODV carts... it's a very effective tool in spuring sales.
    On the topic of using scents to add to an experience, how about the various scents used on Soarin' Over California? There are at least the scent of orange blossoms, the scent of pine forests, and the scent of the sea.

I think they really add to the experience.

Dan

• e komo mai

I hear Eisner's really not that tall either, he just seems that way because he makes everyone bow to him.

• Playtester

What about when they control what it is you see and how wide your vision is? Like on HM, the doom buggies are designed to only let you see what they want you to see, when they want to you see it. You can't look behind you, or even really above you too much, to see the wall and projectors. Same thing on the train around the park, when you are in the cars that face you into the park only, they are hoping you don't turn around and look in the other direction. I imagine there are other rides that they do this with too.
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

• The Magics in the details

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    Ooo. How is forced perspective utilized in Small World, SB Land, Splash and Snow White?
    Small world uses small trees planted on the top of the facáde to make the building and the plants look taller.

Storybook land (Pinnochio scene) overlaps the alps with the matterhorn to make it look like one continuous mountain (really cool effet) and cinderella's castle is built on top of skinny looking rocks to simulate height.

Slash's Chickapin hill is built with larger effects at the bottom and smaller effects at the top to give the illusion of height. The drop is exactly 54 feet, but looks much higher. (notice the small trees?)

Snow White's wishing well fountain uses thin waterfalls at the top and more full wide waterfalls at the bottom. Also, all the statues in the fountain are EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE (Dwarfs and snow). Imagineers added the squirrles and rabbits to give some differentiation. Snow white is on top so she looks taller than the dwarfs.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

• Hooterville, USA

I think, you should go to DL for at least a month to do research. I used to take my home schooled daughter to DL for P.E. Also one of the Hillbillies from the Golden Horseshoe used to tutor her in math during their break. I was one tough father!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Where's my other cent?

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    Is there ap icture of this? Whahahahhat?
    I have a picture, but I'm not sure how to post it. If I can, I will.

• Head Salesman

One of my favorite forced perspectives is the HM hallway with the changing pictures. It's similar to the Main Street effect. When you first enter the hallway, it seems very long, but if you look from the other direction, the hall isn't very long at all. The effect works best when the hall is crowded and the line is slow. The forced perspective combined with a slow moving line makes it feel even longer, because it takes longer to move from one end the the other.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    I don't know if your report on DLR includes DCA, but I just love the "forced perspective" backdrop to "Hollywood Blvd." in the Hollywood Backlot. It turns out great in pictures!

--Jonathan

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

If you need credible print sources for your paper, I'd reccommend seeing the "Art of Disneyland" book that they just released at the parks...
    It has little bits of commentary here and there about forced perspective used at Disneyland. Its a really good book... I highly reccomend it even if you dont use it for your project...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12