Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: neglected items during refurbishments---needs to be addressed

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    upkeep and repairs must be done on a more regular basis. it shouldnt fall upon us guests(and shareholders-many of us, like me are both) to point out problems like these. this should be the responsibility of the cast members and cast leads.
    I think as a shareholder you have to appreciate the fact that the park will never be 100% without problems. With all due respect, I think if the only two complaints you have are a roughed up prop in the treehouse and the wall paintings in the Pirates Queue then things are going great.

Disneyland is such a massive place that you can fix something one day - and something else will be broken the next. So no matter when you visit things will be broke or missing or roughed up a bit. They will get fixed in time.

On the other hand I agree that regular scheduled maintenance needs to get done - and by all accounts they've been really good at doing this. During the 8 or 10 years that Pressler and Cynthia were in control the Castle NEVER got painted - and that was a big problem. Now the castle got painted just last year for the 50th and it's going to get painted again in January. Twice in 2 years compared to nothing in 8 years. That's progress.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Compared to pre-50th, I hardly see a problem with upkeep. I notice stuff all the time, but thats only because im there 3-8 times a month. Most of the stuff I wouldn't notice otherwise.

Nevertheless, it is VERY important that Disney maintain upkeep - and for the most part, I think they've been doing a good job with it. So although I notice stuff, its typically small stuff and is usually fixed within the next couple times I visit.

No problem here.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    You may feel differently if you had 40,000 guests per day, 365 days a year come to your house.
    I'm not charging people 83 dollars a ticket to come into my house. If I did I'd damn well better make sure all the light bulbs are working.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I think as a shareholder you have to appreciate the fact that the park will never be 100% without problems. With all due respect, I think if the only two complaints you have are a roughed up prop in the treehouse and the wall paintings in the Pirates Queue then things are going great.

Disneyland is such a massive place that you can fix something one day - and something else will be broken the next. So no matter when you visit things will be broke or missing or roughed up a bit. They will get fixed in time.

On the other hand I agree that regular scheduled maintenance needs to get done - and by all accounts they've been really good at doing this. During the 8 or 10 years that Pressler and Cynthia were in control the Castle NEVER got painted - and that was a big problem. Now the castle got painted just last year for the 50th and it's going to get painted again in January. Twice in 2 years compared to nothing in 8 years. That's progress.
    the incidents that I mentioned are only two that I noticed recently. I have noticed others. I was going to list them, but I am compiling my notes. I would prefer to wait and have all my facts rather than provide an incomplete listing(posting, whatever)

however, anyone else notice something that needs replaced/repainted/fixed/etc??????

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet View Post
    Well, at least a good number of attractions are slated for refurbishment in the coming months. The following take place, (not including the Haunted Mansion and iasw holiday removals). Dumbo goes down for over a week. The Mark Twain for a few a days. Gadgets GoCoaster goes down for around a week. Splash Mountain is slated for a monster rehab and has been discussed elsewhere, and then Mr. Toad in Feb. will get a rehab that lasts over a month. So all those guys should be in good shape for Spring.

- Perhaps that is where Ed Grier has been all this time! Could it be that he has been backstage with paint brushes and a toolbox ??

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    I'm not charging people 83 dollars a ticket to come into my house. If I did I'd damn well better make sure all the light bulbs are working.
    Yeah, for Eighty-three bucks, I'd make sure the twenty-five or so light bulbs in my house were working, too. Lucky that I only have a few light bulbs to change. I can sympathize with your desire to see Disneyland look the best it possibly can, however.

• Shredder

My thoughts are this, it could be alot worse. I look at places like Universal Studios in LA and Six Flags Magic Moutain and I see only discust and minimal upkeep on the facilities, it really annoys me. The Back to the Future ride is really blurry and the fog doesn't even work in like half of the cars, then Gothem at Six Flags looks completely faded and washed out, really bad.. plus the Batman show sucks in comparison to Aladdin or Waterworld.

My point is, for how much they have to work on each day just to keep the whole place lookin' pretty is great. The place always looks outstanding, and after the 50th, wow, the place really shines in all it's original glory. I mean, we could be complaining about minor things, but when you look at how it COULD be... you'll appreciate what we've all got.

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Yeah it shines, but next refurb, I still think they need to do something with the IASW ceiling and ground...yegh

• official corn dog taster

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I hate to state the obvious, but even if the place was kept up like you say here, there would be someone pointing out something insignificant or irrelevant. Which is usually the case anyway...
    so let me see if i understand your logic here...dont fix anything because if you do there will still be someone complaining that somthing else is not fixed??

Yeah...ok

• Animatronic

I had heard that pre-Pressler Disneyland had fabrication equipment and other things needed for upkeep kept backstage that has since been trashed. I would expect there to be quite a bit of work to "catch up" and return to the upkeep back to Disney's glory days. Plus, there's the issue of insane crowds, which must cause some extra wear and tear.

I haven't visited more than a few hours since the 50th, but what I noticed then was that the Rivers of America was in fairly poor repair. You could see pipes or something on the ground and many rotting critters, although I did sort of like the Nature's Wonderland zombie bear with his eye half out.

In the past few years, maintence has made huge leaps forward, and while it's mostly paint, it's very welcomed. Things are looking so good, that the glaring hulks of closed rides like the People Mover stand out more than anything else.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I had heard that pre-Pressler Disneyland had fabrication equipment and other things needed for upkeep kept backstage that has since been trashed. I would expect there to be quite a bit of work to "catch up" and return to the upkeep back to Disney's glory days. Plus, there's the issue of insane crowds, which must cause some extra wear and tear.

I haven't visited more than a few hours since the 50th, but what I noticed then was that the Rivers of America was in fairly poor repair. You could see pipes or something on the ground and many rotting critters, although I did sort of like the Nature's Wonderland zombie bear with his eye half out.

In the past few years, maintence has made huge leaps forward, and while it's mostly paint, it's very welcomed. Things are looking so good, that the glaring hulks of closed rides like the People Mover stand out more than anything else.
    I think what it boils down to is this: we dont want history to repeat itself. pressler had a "wait untill the very last moment and then fix it" way of doing things. well this usually resulted in injuries(and some deaths)
    Last edited by disneyfan07; 12-19-2006 at 11:03 PM.

• Banned User

during my recent trip to disneyland(2/4/07) I noticed something that needed repair: one of the tikis in the tiki room, his eyes are supposed to light up and flash, well only one was flashing.

the other item well, OOPS I forgot what it is.

actually, never mind. the other item I did communicate to a cast member. the wood on the deck of the mark twain was splintering and needs to be repaired. however, he told me that the ''twain is in plans to be refurbished soon. in the process of doing so, they will replace all boards that need replacing/repair, in addition to other work that is needed.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Several years ago, Disneyland wasn't open 7 days a week. On the days it was closed, things like this got attention. Things got touch up paint, gum got scraped off from the walls and underneath bridges in Pirates of the Caribbean, lightbulbs got replaced...etc. and so on. But since Disneyland is open EVERYDAY, it's hard to 'get stuff like this done' overnight.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Several years ago, Disneyland wasn't open 7 days a week. On the days it was closed, things like this got attention. Things got touch up paint, gum got scraped off from the walls and underneath bridges in Pirates of the Caribbean, lightbulbs got replaced...etc. and so on. But since Disneyland is open EVERYDAY, it's hard to 'get stuff like this done' overnight.
    I like your Idea. close the park AT LEAST one day a week(maybe one of the slowest days. most businesses, including the one I work for ((mervyns)), monday is the slowest day of the week) and do everything that needs to be done (refurbishing, repainting, training newhires, retraining(if needed) current cast members, etc.

• the rum is always gone

the hardest part about replacing broken or damaged items at Disneyland is that everything has to be custom made (except lightbulbs and things like that). Things probably are in the process of getting replaced or refurbished, but it takes more time to make the items than it does to replace the damaged ones. For example, look how long it took them to replace the red light bulb on the TomorrowLanding sign. Granted, there probably was a period of time where nothing was done about it but that light bulb is not a typical red bulb you can find at any hardware store. Plus, they could not even find the original that was used (the bigger bulbs) so they had to special order/make two of the new smaller ones just to balance things out. Then there is the quick 2 to 5 minute installation. It's a long process to get the simplist things done. I do think disneyland does need to keep on top of the upkeep of the little things. If they were to close the park all day monday (maybe leave DCA open so they get more business over there) and use that extra day to touch up the park, I think it would be worth it.
    Ultimately, you do have to give Disneyland some credit, things have improved since the past eras. But ultimately we have to realize that nothing will be perfect. There will always be something that is not right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast