Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Special Agent

Mark Twain in Drydock

So I caught the 9:00 p.m Fantasmic last night and the Mark Twain was in Fowler's - leaving us with the incredibly uninteresting "Island Ending" for Fantasmic. Blech. I know that the Mark Twain was scheduled for Rehab in January but did it get pushed up? Was it a one night deal? Anyone know what happened?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Mark Twain in Drydock

I know a lot of you guys will want pics, so here you go. I was wondering about this myself.

-Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Special Agent

Wow ok that's weird. In your picture you can see the lights are on so maybe they had just RECENTLY put it in drydock.

Hope it's just temporary.

• Yeah...I'm cool

I was there yesterday, and it was in that same position, which is not drydock. Drydock in when its out of the water.

• official corn dog taster

anybody know when it will be out??

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    I was there yesterday, and it was in that same position, which is not drydock. Drydock in when its out of the water.
    Well, technically that may be true. But a traditional lock-type "drydock" has to have water in it at some time!

That particular location serves a dual purpose. It's used as a simple dock to moor the ships at...and it also has lock-doors that can be closed and then the interior water pumped out to provide a drydock setting for ship maintenance.

Many Disneyland maintenance workers refer to the location as "the drydock" whether it has water in it or not. Many on-stage Cast Members refer to it as "Fowler's Harbor" or "Fowler's Landing" for docking and mooring purposes.

"Fowler" being the on-stage name given to the area, after Disneyland's construction and "Port Director"....Admiral Joe Fowler...who Walt affectionately referred to as "Can-Do, The Magician."

The story I got, (and it's pretty reliable) is that somebody broke the Mark Twain, Friday or Saturday. In stead of smoke billowing out one smokestack at a time, it was blowing smoke out both at the same time, and no forward motion. I'm told it needs a part, and will be out for two days...we'll see.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

Maybe they're just rotating the tires.

• Yeah...I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    Maybe they're just rotating the tires.
    Or adding a loop!!!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Bear View Post
    The story I got, (and it's pretty reliable) is that somebody broke the Mark Twain, Friday or Saturday. In stead of smoke billowing out one smokestack at a time, it was blowing smoke out both at the same time, and no forward motion. I'm told it needs a part, and will be out for two days...we'll see.
    Hmm...I wish we had more on this. What's posted is somewhat confusing (not blaming Brer Bear--we just need something clearer, and I'm sure Brer posted exactly what he heard).

The two large smokestacks in front are the only smokestacks on the boat (by definition--they exhaust diesel smoke from the boiler). The two stacks at the rear vent only exhaust steam--not smoke.

However, unless there is a really big problem, one will not see smoke coming out of the smokestacks (the diesel burner used is pretty efficient. Unburnt fuel is smoke, and the diesel burns very cleanly, resulting in no visible smoke coming out of them). Both smokestacks can be operated (both have thermometers to measure their temperature. You can also put your hands on the stacks and see which one is in operation). They usually only open one damper--two large smokestacks are way more than the boiler needs to exhaust the diesel exhaust.

I would be at a loss to understand why there would be any sort of problem if both dampers were open. That would only affect the boiler exhuast--not whether the boat could go forward or backward.

So, since smoke never "billows out" of the actual smokestacks, I'm guessing that Brer Bear is actually refering to the steam exhaust stacks at the rear.

The reason the steam comes out of those stacks at different times is because the steam is either pushing on one end of a piston or the other--like when you ride a bike, you push down on one pedal, then the other, back and forth, to turn your vertical leg motion to revolving motion. Obviously, if you pushed down equally on both pedals, you wouldn't go anywhere--you'd be standing on the pedals.

So this, then, might be a good anaology for the problem. To me, it sounds like somehow, the valves that admit and exhaust the steam have come out of alignment--both admitting steam to opposite cylinders in the same direction at the same time, cancelling out any rotational forces. I'm not sure I understand how this could happen--the valves and the valve gear that operate them are pretty substantial, and it's weird to think of them just "breaking." But I guess, with enough use, any mechanical part can wear out.

But anyway, it will be interesting to hear--if we ever do--what actually happened here.

• Hooterville, USA

I'm surprised that these thing don't happen more often.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Guilty!

Cracked boiler.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    Or adding a loop!!!
    heh..the loop's back...priceless

• Special Agent

I have no idea if this is related but a couple weeks ago I was riding aboard the Mark Twain for a night cruise (back before the fireworks went daily) and about halfway through the cruise, around the Indiana Village there was a bang. It almost sounded like a car backfiring. I never thought it was the Mark Twain and just figured it was something else going on nearby. Then coming back into dock it did it again - twice - and this time there was a noticeable shudder. As I was stepping onto the dock I overheard part of a conversation where the CM was speaking to the engineer and the engineer said "I have no idea what that was". The Mark Twain continued normal operation after that so I never thought anything more of it.

I'd have to say I'm slightly disappointed as this is starting to sound a little more serious than I originally thought. Fantasmic is a big show for the christmas season and I really don't like the ending with the characters on the island.

• Closed Account

I doubt it is a "cracked boiler," since the boiler on it is fairly new. And boilers usually don't crack.

As far as a "backfire," the lights are powered by a diesel generator in the stern area (which is why, back there, there always is a dull internal-combustion rumble that leads many folks to think that the boat isn't really steam powered). Do diesels backfire?

Interesting story: Most steam operated machines often use their own steam to run a generator, thereby providing itself with electricity. The Mark Twain had it's own steam generator at one time too. In fact, it's still in "the cage" where the boiler is. It's non-functional now--necessitating the diesel generator--but I'm told that it was salvaged from a WWII submarine!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 12-18-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast