• It's all nonsense

Old New Orleans Square audio question

I recently heard audio from NOS where an old woman wanted you to let her out of a locked box. Did anyone ever see this? Was there an actual box or was it just kind of ambient sound effect?

Thanks.

• Closed Account

Re: Old New Orleans Square audio question

I believe you are talking about the old hag animatronic from Snow White. She was hung in a black cage in a number of places around the park during her "incarceration." She begs you to let her out--prmomising to teach you how to turn water into gasoline if you do, among other things! She was in NOS, Main Street, and Fantasyland at various times. Not sure where she is now.

The animatronic was maybe two feet high, and came on randomly.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I believe you are talking about the old hag animatronic from Snow White. She was hung in a black cage in a number of places around the park during her "incarceration." She begs you to let her out--prmomising to teach you how to turn water into gasoline if you do, among other things! She was in NOS, Main Street, and Fantasyland at various times. Not sure where she is now.

I remember her being in Fantasyland in the Villain store when it was open.

I miss it
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

Yep, that's it. So was this a promotion for something? Sounds pretty elaborate for a temporary thing. I'd love to see some pics.

• Mousketeer

I first remember it being in the Disneyana shop when the shop was on the west side of Main Street. It didn't come on randomly, but was activated by a button behind the sales counter. When a curious kid would look at the little figure, one of the salespersons would press the button and the figure would go into her speil. Later it appeared in the villians shop in fantasyland, and some othere places around.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Yep, that's it. So was this a promotion for something? Sounds pretty elaborate for a temporary thing. I'd love to see some pics.
    Nope, not a promotion. Just something DL used to have a lot more of at one time--little, amusing details here and there that weren't there to promote/generate profit/create synergy--but were there just to put smiles on guests' faces.

Here's a snapshot of what's making the audio.

http://laughingplace.com/ShowPic.asp...g/bat%2005.jpg

As others have mentioned, it's an animated display of the Old Hag from Snow White, locked in a prison cage, anchored by ball & chain.

This was build in the 70's for the then brand new "Disneyana" shop on Main Street that was located across the street from where it is now, where the Jewelry Shop is now between the Watch Shop and the main Emporium.

It was built as a display piece for the shop, but soon after opening they decided to put a $15,000 price tag on her to see if anyone would buy her. After a year or two someone did step up to purchase it. Michael Jackson. But Disneyland decided then they wanted to keep her for the shop, so they built Jackson a new one.

After that sale, the powers-that-be decided they didn't want to sell such things anymore (too proprietary, I guess they thought) and so the pricetag was removed. Keep in mind this was in the days long before the Company started selling almost anything from the Parks to the public at collectible conventions and eBay and such. Don't know if they would put a pricetag on her now, but I suspect if you offered enough, they would build you one.

When Disneyana moved across the street...I'm not sure if the Old Hag made the journey or not. I don't recall her ever being over there. She may have gone into storage for a bit of time.

Next time I saw her she was in the old Disney Villains Shop in Fantasyland. From there she went to the Le Bat en Rouge shop in New Orleans Square. I also heard that she made a brief appearance at Walt Disney World at one time, but can't confirm that. If anyone else spotted her at another location over the years, perhaps they'll speak up.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

I would like to learn how to turn water into gasoline.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    I think any Californian would.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    Which BTW...that line was a direct comment about the gasoline rationing, long lines at the pumps, and general energy crisis that was going on back then, when the Hag display was designed and created in the 70's.

• official corn dog taster

so where is this now?

Quote Originally Posted by audibleatom View Post
    so where is this now?
    Nobody knows!

Well...somebody knows.

But nobody that we've heard from.

Yet.

My guess is that it's sitting in storage someplace.