Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Interesting Development for HKDL's small world... DLR's possible future?

Concerning Hong Kong Disneyland's new it's a small world, from a Disney Publication:

For the first time ever, more than 30 popular Disney characters, including Peter Pan, Aladdin and Mulan, will join the existing dolls to be seamlessly blended in the countries where their stories take place. Enhanced with an expanded Asia section which will include famous regional landmarks such as the Great Wall, the Temple of Heaven and the distinctive Hong Kong skyline, the attraction will also include a Middle Eastern scene and a new scene for North America — something not even North America's Disney resorts enjoy!
    I thought I should share. Would this be an objectable possibility in a future revamp of Disneyland's version

• Koubu Pilot

Re: Interesting Development for HKDL's small world... DLR's possible future?

It's possible having Peter Pan, Alice, et al is to give them exposure without giving them their own dark rides. Disneyland has the Fantasyland 5 dark rides plus Pooh. Teacups, Alice in Wonderland, and the Mad Hatter shop make up a mini land just for Alice. Dumbo has dual exposure with Dumbo and Casey Jr. We can see the palace of Agrabah, Pinocchio's village, and Toad Hall on Storybookland. Hong Kong only has Pooh. Peter Pan and the others have to be worked in somehow. Too bad it won't be through their own attractions.

As for the exclusive North America show scene, we already live in the real North America ^o^ It's probably a far off exotic land to the Chinese.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Not digging this unless they're the teeny tiny versision like the other dolls in the show. It would be very....funky....to see a giant Peter Pan jumping up over the other inhabitants of Britain.

Even then...I don't think they would fit.

Wait till the IASW movie comes out. Then ALL h*** will break loose!
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-19-2006 at 06:19 AM.

I would be completely onboard if such thing were done also at Disneyland.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Interesting indeed. I wonder if they'll be like... what's the word... like something that's hiding that you have to seek out. Of if they'll be front and center with their own little accompanying characters from the movies, and kind of add a subplot to IASW. It could or could not work, but I'll hold judgement until I see it. I wonder if any other characters are being added...
    - Paul

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I don't know. I think for Hong Kong it's a good thing, but for DLR, for the original? I think I'd rather have it stay the way it is simply because we already have character representation elsewhere in the park. The only thing I think I'd be on board for is if they kept "it's a small world holiday" going all year long. For some strange reason, I just think it's fabulous.

• Shubisha

I think the message of It's a Small World is tied more towards real life and humanity. To add all the fictional disney characters to the world scenes would feel demeaning to me and diminish the ride and something best serving its purpose in Storybookland like it already does.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Circarama and I have walked through the model for this attraction on our visit to WDI. I actually loved the concept. I thought it was very well done.

The sets in the attraction are slightly updated with a great deal more color in them. The characters that are included are not the main focus of the attraction, the dolls are still in abundance. Just like how Stitch has been added to the Small World in Anaheim, it is cute and makes it fun to look for the characters. It does not take away from the experience when compared to the original nor does it showcase tons of Disney characters.

I look forward to seeing after it is installed at HKDL. I do not believe there are currently any plans to add these features to existing attractions at the other parks.

• Shredder

Small World at DL has been lacking for sometime now, and the WDW version of the experiance is grim at best as it does not show off the grand outer structure that us westerners love so much. It would be a great update for a ride that desperatly needs a little TLC!

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• Banned User

I don't know about having the characters placed in there but I'd be real happy to have an American scene since there isn't one right now..

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    I think the message of It's a Small World is tied more towards real life and humanity.
    But it's located in Fantasyland...

You all know what that means, don't you?

The world will never get along!

...ahem.

I think it would really depend on the design of the Disney characters in question. If they looked like the rest of the dolls, then I don't see a huge problem with it. But it would probably mean a huge re-working of what we already have...and it would probably be quite a bit of a financial loss. I think we'd all rather have that money go to DCA or a new attraction.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    The sets in the attraction are slightly updated with a great deal more color in them. The characters that are included are not the main focus of the attraction, the dolls are still in abundance. Just like how Stitch has been added to the Small World in Anaheim, it is cute and makes it fun to look for the characters. It does not take away from the experience when compared to the original nor does it showcase tons of Disney characters.
    Where's Stitch? I've never seen him

• Up is Down

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    I think the message of It's a Small World is tied more towards real life and humanity. To add all the fictional disney characters to the world scenes would feel demeaning to me and diminish the ride and something best serving its purpose in Storybookland like it already does.

Yeah what he said!
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• Minion

The Disneyland version of it's a small world is beautifully designed as it is. To add a bunch of unrelated cartoon characters to the mix - especially recent ones - would seem like merchandising/marketing gone too far.

• Stop That!

...a new scene for North America something not even North America's Disney resorts enjoy!
    Disneyland Paris has an America scene. It'll be cowboys and movie stars.

Anyways, with Disney cartoon characters added to the mix, it sounds like they're shooting for a two-in-one attraction, like Small World meets Storybookland. Or will they just be dolls dressed up as Disney characters?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast