Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snowfall during Parade Instead of after Fireworks

Several years ago, I thought that such an idea would work better, and I just learned that Walt Disney World happens to think so, too, because it uses its snowfall during the parade.

The effect happens to look great.

• 88 mph

Re: Snowfall during Parade Instead of after Fireworks

lol unfavorable road conditions?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• Shubisha

They did it during the parade for the cast member parties. It happened for the final caroler/reindeer/santa float.

The snow works better at night, I think it'd be dumb to do during the daytime when the first parade happens. While the second parade is at night, I don't think it creates as great an opportunity for snow. People get to share a magical moment together after the high of the fireworks show. In the parade they'd notice snow being spewed but the parade is still the focal point. Magical moment to end the night after fireworks vs. the parade but with a neat snow effect at the end, I'd go with the former.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Agreed. Night time at Disneyland is amazingly beautiful and even more magical than in the daytime. I think that snow after the nice little fireworks display is a much better conclusion than what the snow would bring after the parade.

What was your opinion of the parade with the snowfall?

At Walt Disney World, the parade is made all the more immersive and spectacular. And, the snowfall is continuous from the start to the end.

When "Believe in Holiday Magic" was introduced in 2000, I liked the snowfall, but I did feel its awkward placement after the fireworks made the effect seem more like a gimmick.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

But it's a fabulous gimmick.

• Fireworks Finatic!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    When "Believe in Holiday Magic" was introduced in 2000, I liked the snowfall, but I did feel its awkward placement after the fireworks made the effect seem more like a gimmick.
    That may have been because for that year, they did not have an actual "grand finale" to the fireworks, but just a few shells to end the show, as the snow was supposed to be the finale. Believe...In Holiday Magic actually began with the nearly identical finale that was used in Believe...There's Magic in the Stars. It was a bit weird, but cool at the same time, to have a ton of fireworks start a show. Then after a couple years, they finally changed it and there was a grand finale to the fireworks, with the snow stating the same time.

One day I'll see that show. Oh, I've seen the snow... many times. But that darn fireworks show eludes me.
    I think I have a friendly neighborhood posse of unfavorable winds at high elevations.

And when that happens, the snow sure blows all over the place.

It looked like it could work during the parade, but the fireworks offer a much better set-up to the show.

•   
    • Senior Minion

I personally enjoy the fireworks with the snow finale, it adds a nice atmosphere in the park and you actually get to enjoy it - especially seeing the kids playing around in the "snow". If it was done during a regular parade it wouldn't be enjoyed as much because everybody would be off once the parade was over to go on some more rides and continue with their day. At night it gives you time to leisurely stroll to the exit as the "snow" falls on you.

Plus, I think just the clean up alone is made easier by the fact that everyone leaves after the snow. Just imagine how the dried "snow" would look all over Main Street and the IASW area ... not pretty I would imagine.

• Lost in Wonderland

Snowfall can make the parade route a bit slippery, especially if they were to leave it on from the start of the parade to the end. Performers can slip and fall, and parade floats might have trouble going up the Matterhorn Way hill. It's probably not good for the costumes either. If Disneyland were to make it snow after the last float, that might work. Currently, however, the snow machines are not wired for that. They can only turn them on and off in large blocks (such as all of Main Street, or all of Small World).

But not considering technical aspects, I think snowfall works better after fireworks, since fireworks are held later than the parade. Guests watch the parade at 6:30pm, but then typically stay at the park to see the fireworks at 9:25pm before heading home. So the fireworks are the last thing they see/experience at Disneyland. So it's better to end their day at Disneyland with a magical/grand finale than to put it mid-way through the day.

• Minion

I don't know about you guys but I have seen the fireworks with the snow finale several times and I still get a little bit emotional everytime I see it, especially with the snow falling. I look back down main street and it looks so real as it slowly floats down. Just makes me feel very grateful to be there and experience something so special.

*grumbles at the weather*

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

How about both times? After all, it's just soap.

• Minion

Maybe they put the snow at the end of the fireworks because it draws out the length of the "experience" a few minutes longer. Typically, if I remember correctly, fireworks shows at Disneyland have been 15-20 mins long. "Believe...in Holiday Magic" is just over 13 mins long WITH the snow/"White Christmas" segment. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast