Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Drunk On Disney!

movies taken over

Is it just me or are movies taking over disneyland? I mean pirates, the submarine voyage. And attractions like adventure thru inner space and captin eo were replaced by starr tours and honey I shrunk the audience.

Re: movies taken over

In the case of "Pirates of the Caribbean", Disneyland has taken over the movies.

• Still lost in Neverland

It just seems that way. When the Park opened and ever since most of the rides where based on, or suggested by, movies, and not all were Disney.

Tomorrowland: Rocket to the Moon based on the Tomorrowland TV segment;
    20,000 Leagues exhibit had the actual movie props; Matterhorn on a Disney Movie "Man on the Mountain".

Fantasyland: Every ride is based on a Disney Movie, same with Toontown.

Frontierland: A lot based on Davy Crockett; Golden Horseshoe was based on the floor plans to "Calamity Jane" a Doris Day movie that Harper Goff designed the sets for and used them for the Disneyland Attraction; Train through Nature's Wonderland based on Disney TV True Life Adventures.

Adventureland: Jungle Cruise is based on the look of "African Queen".

Bear Country/Critter Country: Splash Mountain based on "Song of the South", all the Winnie the Pooh stuff as well is there.

So, in retrospect there were a lot of movie and TV shows used for attractions but now it seems that nothing can be discussed unless the ride or attraction is based on a Disney/Pixar movie and less on other movies companies products (Like Star Tours and Indy).
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Most of the attractions are based on movies or the movies are based on the attractions. Fantasyland has a movie for EVERY dark ride. Indy is based on a Movie and POTC, HM and ToT all have movies based on the rides. It's just the way it is!

*Sorry, Lost Boy beat me to it!*
    Foolish Mortal

• Comin' at ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    It just seems that way. When the Park opened and ever since most of the rides where based on, or suggested by, movies, and not all were Disney.

Tomorrowland: Rocket to the Moon based on the Tomorrowland TV segment;
    20,000 Leagues exhibit had the actual movie props; Matterhorn on a Disney Movie "Man on the Mountain".

Fantasyland: Every ride is based on a Disney Movie, same with Toontown.

Frontierland: A lot based on Davy Crockett; Golden Horseshoe was based on the floor plans to "Calamity Jane" a Doris Day movie that Harper Goff designed the sets for and used them for the Disneyland Attraction; Train through Nature's Wonderland based on Disney TV True Life Adventures.

Adventureland: Jungle Cruise is based on the look of "African Queen".

Bear Country/Critter Country: Splash Mountain based on "Song of the South", all the Winnie the Pooh stuff as well is there.

So, in retrospect there were a lot of movie and TV shows used for attractions but now it seems that nothing can be discussed unless the ride or attraction is based on a Disney/Pixar movie and less on other movies companies products (Like Star Tours and Indy).
    I never thought of it that way, great perspective. Because I agreed with the TC but then I read your post and realized...Yeah.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• It's all about Theme!

The fact is, today's imagineers have not really put original attractions in the resort since 2001!
    Last edited by Walt Jr.; 12-21-2006 at 06:43 AM.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Matterhorn on a Disney Movie "Man on the Mountain".
    did it have the yeti?

the rides are based movies so that way when guest come to the park they can ride thru there favorite movies
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Animatronic

Just because an experience or a boat was in a movie (or two dozen movies) does make the ride based on a movie. It could be said Pirates was based on a Disney Pirate movie, but without the characters or the story, I'd hardly call it based on a movie.

That said, the real issue is which comes first in the design of the ride. Is the ride stealing good ideas and props from the studio, or is the ride a marketing puppet of evil marketing types?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Aside from being the 'Happiest Place on Earth', and a source of great joy to many here, it is - we sometimes need to be reminded - DISNEYland. Yes, it is a theme park run by a major corporation largely there to provide synergy and advertising for their other products.

I'm not saying that this can't also be done with an aim to keep a spirit of something MORE alive, but as a public company, Disney aims to make money. And lots of it.

As has already been mentioned above, the majority of the rides in Disneyland are based on movies. The last few years have finally seen a few movies based on original Disney rides. Hell, Disney based most of their films on books, fairy tales and other media, so it is all a circle of...erm...life or something.

Take Jungle Cruise for example. It is largely said to be 'inspired' by the Bogart/Hepburn film, The African Queen (one of my favourites). It inspired a ride, which is now rumoured to be filmed. Perhaps that will ultimately provide the ride with fodder for new elements to the attraction.

Coming from the outside, it does seem like a massive advertisement. However, as fans will tell you, once you are inside, none of that matters. The source of the material shouldn't matter, but more how it makes you feel at the end of the day. If it provides joy, then Walt's dream of an organic utopian park that would continue to grow is still very much alive and well.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    The fact is, today's imagineers have in fact become unimaginative! The last "original" ride was in fact Adventures Thru Inner Space or America Sings I believe! Splash Mountain, Indy, Star Tours, all based on Movies!
    Soarin' Over California
    Big Thunder
    Grizzly River Rapids

Not to mention WDW's Mission Space, Test Track, Everest, etc etc
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

Imagineering is one of the last places in the Disney organization that has true talent, which remains under contract to the company. That fact is one of the reasons Disneyland should be driving the entire enterprise.

People went to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film, originally, because they were familiar with and interested in "Pirates of the Caribbean", the attraction.

Disneyland has extraordinary cachet and goodwill, and someone in Burbank finally realized that fact.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by thrax View Post
    did it have the yeti?
    Walt was gone for a number of years before the Matterhorn had a monster... Or even, a themed interior.

• It's all about Theme!

/
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

• n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Opened before ATIS therefore, it was not the last one to be built!

Talking about Disneyland!

For some reason I think this post sounds snobbish, so I'll appologize in advance!
    Big Thunder-1979
    Innerspace-1967

So, the previous poster had bad mouthed Imagineers. The group designs for all Disney parks, not just Disneyland.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    Big Thunder-1979
    Innerspace-1967

So, the previous poster had bad mouthed Imagineers. The group designs for all Disney parks, not just Disneyland.
    Sorry about that!

But isn't there a team specifically for Disneyland?
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast