Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Skyway Question

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    I agree. I still can't figure out why they didn't at least build a Monorail stop in the GCH. Fer cryin' out loud, it already goes through the building!!!!!

--Jonathan

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    I dont usually check out the threads on any other sites besides MiceChat...
    But that said, I did somehow find myself linked from this site to a thread on another site:

http://www.mousepad.mouseplanet.com/...light=monorail

PragmaticIdealist writes:

The simple solution is to close the Tomorrowland Station and build a new station in front of Disneyland in the Central Lobby between the two parks...

I think the tour the monorail service provides would also be enhanced by reversing its direction. Doing so would create a more logical sequence. Trains would depart the west station to cross Disneyland Drive and enter the Grand Californian Hotel. Passing through the Hotel, the trains would emerge to views of Grizzly Peak, Paradise Pier, and Soarin' over California. Moving to Hollywood Pictures Backlot, the trains would face The Twilight Zone as well as the backdrop that covers the Hyperion Theatre. All the while the narration would mention Walt Disney's connections to Hollywood before introducing Anaheim as the host city for the gateway to Disneyland when the trains reach Harbor Boulevard. Plunging suddenly into The Magic Kingdom, the trains would make a beeline for Sleeping Beauty Castle and Central Plaza by straddling where Tomorrowland meets the submarine lagoon. At the castle, the trains would veer right and navigate between the Matterhorn and the rest of Fantasyland. The trains would then be facing the facade of It's a Small World and would veer right again to provide a glimpse of the Fantasyland Theatre and Mickey's Toontown in the distance. The monorail beamway in this area parallels the berm and the right-of-way for the Disneyland Railroad. Some meandering over the Autopia would, then, lead to an aerial overview of Disneyland before exiting the park to the East Esplanade and stopping at a position that affords an elevated view of Main Street Station on one side and the postcard entrance to D.C.A. on the other.

Guests leaving either park would board at the central station and take a quick jaunt to the west station by passing the picnic gardens and taking-in elevated views of the glittering nightlife of Downtown Disney, the main parking terrace, and the Disneyland Hotel.

The original configuration of the monorail system simply does not make sense in relationship to the additions of 2001...

Last edited by PragmaticIdealist : Yesterday at 02:15 AM. Great ideas, dude!

• Who's your DaddyB?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    For the hundreds of thousands of people who've been skiing or snowboarding it's not really a thrill but it's too bad it can't go from Fantasyland over to Mickey and Friends...

I'd ride it again then. But it would not be worth it to resurrect this from Yesterland, even with Tokyo's automatic doors and sealed windows, I'm not really too sad to see it go.
    Who said anything about a thrill?
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI
    I agree. I still can't figure out why they didn't at least build a Monorail stop in the GCH. Fer cryin' out loud, it already goes through the building!!!!!

That surprised me more than anything. When I saw that the monorail would go over the Golden Gate Bridge and then into the GCH, I was sure they would make the smart decision to have a joint GCH/DCA station. The only problem, though, is the fact that Tomorrowland Station is inside Disneyland, so they need to scan park tickets when you board the monorail. They couldn't really require that GCH guests scan their park tickets just to ride the monorail--what if this is a non park day and they just want to get to their hotel? Perhaps that is something that could be solved when they build the new monorail station, and can perhaps find a way to add turnstiles Tomorrowland station while keeping security check at the Downtown Disney and new DCA/GCH stations, since I don't think the relatively small space in TL could handle a huge line of people to get their bags checked every time a monorail shows up. This would also allow passage b/t the two parks to not involve bag check by the monorail, much like you don't have to recheck your bags if you go through the Esplanade. Wishful thinking, I guess...I don't think, however, that the DL station should move...I like it being in Tomorrowland--it belongs there more than it does at the entrance to Main Street.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Skyway Question

Well if they were being more visionary, you would travel from Magic Kingdom to EPCOT in a submarine and from EPCOT to Animal Kingdom on Horse and Carriage and then take a railroad train back to Disney MGM, in other words play with various types of transportation systems like Walt did, but connect them from Point A to Point B and make it part of the fun of getting around the resort.

At the very least can we get those skyway buckets to Mickey and Friends, Please?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

At the very least can we get those skyway buckets to Mickey and Friends, Please?
    The lines would be longer than SM and Indy combined!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The fact of the matter is the Monorail, like the Skyway and the Peoplemover were being phased out by Pressler(imho).............so it would have been a waste of money to build a station at the GCH
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Mentat

But dont you guys think Walt might have liked to have all his WDW hotels and later DLR hotels connected by monorails, steam trains, peoplemovers, skyways, etc etc etc?
    EXCELLENT point! I look at the wonderful transportation system in Orlando and often wonder why DL hasn't really improved in that sense.

• Minion

I know for a fact the reason the sky buckets went though the matterhorn was because they decided it was a pillar itself (or there was one inside)

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket
    I know for a fact the reason the sky buckets went though the matterhorn was because they decided it was a pillar itself (or there was one inside)
    This is correct, however, technically speaking the Matterhorn went through the Skyway since it was built 4 years afterwards. This is slightly off-topic, but I've always found it odd that the Monorail, Disneyland Railroad and Skyway all offer ugly (yet interesting) backstage views of the park. All of these attractions existed in Walt's time and for as much effort and money as he did to protect the escapism factor, there's a lot of backstage rooftops and buildings completely visible from these attractions. They are all strictly transportation (although there is an element of fun of course) so maybe Walt just figured as long as an attraction is for transportation, it doesn't really matter what's visible. It's kind of neat to be able to see that kind of stuff actually.

And just in case someone from TDA that can do anything about it is reading...

Please bring back the Skyway

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Athlonacon, I never thought of it that way, but you are absoultely correct, the Matterhorn went around the Skyway. Also, if I'm not mistaken, one of the towers is incorporated into the superstructure of the Matterhorn and probably exists in some fashion still today. At least they were able to hide one of them.

You can also check out old pictures of the skyway at Yesterland. The Fantasyland side and the Tomorrowland side pages have different pictures.

• My Children's Father

Too many stops on a single rail line would destroy capacity. Think about it. The run from the DtD station to TL would be the only run that would last longer than the time spent in the preceding station to load and unload passengers. Adding two stations to the existing run would add at least 10 minutes (assuming 5 minutes at each station) to the complete circuit time, which corresponds to a 17% reduction in capacity.

I suppose they could have opted for a monorail station in the GCH, but there are a couple of problems with that. First off is the problem of theme; A 21st (I'm being generous here) century monorail does not go with a 19th century Craftsman lodge. Secondly, moving the station to GCH would greatly reduce one of the fundemental benefits of staying at the DLH (and the GCH already offers direct access into DCA)

As far as a station in DCA, that contradicted the concept of DCA being a totally seperate park. I don't have a problem with the imagineers designing the park assuming they'd have 30,000 guests every day, and if they had built enough quality attractions, that attendance parameter would have served them well. A ride linking the two parks was not in the plans.

It should also be remembered that, much as the Matterhorn was built "around" the skyway, both DCA and the GCH were built around the Monorail. There really was no thought given as to where the track should be in relation to the new park and hotel ....... attention was spent rather on how to build them around the monorail so as to keep the existing monorail track.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ
    You can also check out old pictures of the skyway at Yesterland. The Fantasyland side and the Tomorrowland side pages have different pictures.
    There's also a great article on what led to the closure of the Skyway at both D'land and WDW:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/skyway.htm

In france they now have an accelerating moving side walk. It moves at more than twice the speed of a normal moving sidewalk. In the olden days Disney would have been all over this.

• ROFLCOPTER

There is a moving sidewalk at Universal, and that works great.
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast