Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Skyway Question

• Animatronic

Re: Skyway Question

I think beyond transportation, the train, the sky way, the people mover, and the monorail gave people a chance to take a break and plan what to do next. Frankly, waiting 2 hours standing in line for a 3 minute sit down ride is not very relaxing. It's no wonder parents push their 10 year old kids around in strollers and feed them churros. There are almost no relaxing rides left in the park!

As for the Sky Way, it was exciting to see the subs from overhead, to travel through the matterhorn and catch a glimpse of the showman, and to see the storybook boats from overhead. The towers weren't that bad because the highest point was inside the matterhorn and that tower was hidden.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI
    I agree. I still can't figure out why they didn't at least build a Monorail stop in the GCH. Fer cryin' out loud, it already goes through the building!!!!!

Because it's not that far of a walk, and it's usually very nice out. In Florida, OTOH, it's a very long walk and the weather is usually awful.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

There are a few remnants of the skyway that still exist. The large square planter in the middle of the Mr. Toads Wild Ride queue is the location of a footer for a tower in Fantasyland. It's the big square planter that you walk around before wrapping back towards the front and going into the building.

The Tomorrowland Skyway Station exit stair still exists. It was reconfigured to be used as a Rocket Rods evac stair, but it was originally for the skyway. It's the one that comes down over the Hatmosphere shop.

There isn't really an actual tower embedded in the Matterhorn, the structure of the Matterhorn was designed to accomodate the cable supports for the skyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JP12
    There isn't really an actual tower embedded in the Matterhorn, the structure of the Matterhorn was designed to accomodate the cable supports for the skyway.
    When I was a CM in 94, the reason we were told that the SkyWay was coming down was because it was putting too much stress on the Matterhorn. Either the y would have to spend a ton of $ making the Matterhorn stronger/safer or take out the Sky Buckets. So, the buckets were tossed.

• Disney Nazi

Sadly i never got to go to Disneyland as a kid ( yes we can all cry for me later) but I remember seeing the Skyway trip on a video from my cousins visit and thinking that i couldn't wait to ride it because it was such a unique way of seeing the park.

Of course by the time i go there it had been removed. But ugly pillons aside i would love to see it bought back I think it would make a lovely retro addition to the park and as previously stated a great way to shuffle the crowds around.
    "Lies make baby Jesus cry!"

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

I remember loving the overview of Disneyland the skyway afforded. Even as an adult, I was too busy looking into the lagoon and at all the details on the ground to notice roofs or the reality beyond the berm. Even now, when reading E-ticket magazine, my favorite part is always the aerial photos. I can stare at those for hours picking out details I had forgotten, or had never noticed. As for being a relaxing ride, for me the only two rides that got my heart pumping in ancient times were the matterhorn and the skyway. I could never wait until I got my feet back on solid ground. Of course, one of my stupid cousins was always rocking the bucket trying to get a rise out of me.

Ironic, isn't it that if Disney had put a skyway in DCA, we would all be screaming because they were using another off the shelf carnival ride. Ah, nostalgia.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

I'm not very fond of heights myself, but I'd still love the Skyway back in some form or another.

• Quality Assured

Thumbs up Re: Skyway Question

I see we're all "Uncle Walt" this...and "Walt never would have done that...But how do you know that he himself would have removed the Skyway? Look at Disneyland through his eyes, when he was alive and adding attractions he continuously strived to give people "firsts" and unknown technology and cultural habits not commonly seen by the average American. For example, the Skyway at Disneyland opened in 1956! Okay, analyze that now, in 1956 Disneyland was the only theme park, and most people see their first skybucket/ways in amusement parks. Now, being removed in 1994, it makes sense. It was a common sight at many parks across America, a skyway/ride/bucket in Disneyland was no longer really "Walt standards." The problem with the Disney Imagineering today it that they "WOW" people using things they already know, such as character-rides, but what Walt would do is to "WOW" people by use of foreign things and new technologies that would "WOW" his guests. I hope I don't get flamed and start an argument.....

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    The lines would be longer than SM and Indy combined!
    Absolutely. A Peoplemover type system would work much better (if more expensive to install)... it would should take less people to opperate than the current trams, and would always be ready.

Thus the name... Peoplemover.

Of course, now they would need to install split tracks, being able to pull off a car / train to load strollers / wheelchairs, and it would not be the cheapest thing to build, but it would most likely be very effecient... and may even be cost effective in the long run.

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack
    I see we're all "Uncle Walt" this...and "Walt never would have done that...But how do you know that he himself would have removed the Skyway? Look at Disneyland through his eyes, when he was alive and adding attractions he continuously strived to give people "firsts" and unknown technology and cultural habits not commonly seen by the average American. For example, the Skyway at Disneyland opened in 1956! Okay, analyze that now, in 1956 Disneyland was the only theme park, and most people see their first skybucket/ways in amusement parks. Now, being removed in 1994, it makes sense. It was a common sight at many parks across America, a skyway/ride/bucket in Disneyland was no longer really "Walt standards." The problem with the Disney Imagineering today it that they "WOW" people using things they already know, such as character-rides, but what Walt would do is to "WOW" people by use of foreign things and new technologies that would "WOW" his guests. I hope I don't get flamed and start an argument.....
    I think you make some good points. But the skyway was more than just "state of the art." It was fun. Marc Davis said in an interview that Imagineers tried to find interesting ways to move people around the park. The skyway might not be unique, but I have to say, it was fun to ride. I haven't ridden one since they were removed from Disneyland. They arn't that common! I really don't remember the platforms for the skyway being ugly either. Now I was just a kid then too.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Cool Re: Skyway Question

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    They arn't that common! .
    You can find its sibling the chairlift at any Ski resort in the mountains .
    I think they should fix the tower in the matterhorn next time they need to do a rehab on that ride(ex 1 or two month rehab) there so when(and if) they do put it back in the tower will be ready. They can make towers today that will probably look a lot nicer than the old ones(look at cell phone towers they're modeled after trees) and you could add the same features used in Tokyo's Skybuckets. I personally think it added to the kinetic feeling of tomorrowland. Personally I would like the peoplemover back first.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack
    I see we're all "Uncle Walt" this...and "Walt never would have done that...But how do you know that he himself would have removed the Skyway? Look at Disneyland through his eyes, when he was alive and adding attractions he continuously strived to give people "firsts" and unknown technology and cultural habits not commonly seen by the average American.

(...)

I hope I don't get flamed and start an argument.....
    Nah. I'm actually not using people's actual standards of Walt at the time. Although Pirates is great, Walt made a lot of scenes that weren't richly detailed to the max as well, such as the ugly towers or the Old Matterhorn.

I'm actually holding it up to people's standards today of Walt. Nowadays when the Resort does something that aims lower than Indy in the theming department, there's a lot of criticism that Walt would have done it better, is rolling in his grave, etc.

My point in the Walt analogy was to say that if Walt never made the Skyway Matt or Paul had put the sky buckets in DL for the first time, people would be unimpressed and sniping away online like this:
    "I can see outside the berm into the real world, Walt would not be impressed."
    "Those show roofs HAVE to be improved!"
    "Now I can see empty lagoons and shuttered restaurants from high above!"
    "Man, those towers are UGLAY!"
    "Boy they sure pinched every dime decorating those Skyway stations, didn't they?"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I think you make some good points. But the skyway was more than just "state of the art." It was fun. Marc Davis said in an interview that Imagineers tried to find interesting ways to move people around the park. The skyway might not be unique, but I have to say, it was fun to ride. I haven't ridden one since they were removed from Disneyland. They arn't that common! I really don't remember the platforms for the skyway being ugly either. Now I was just a kid then too.
    I like the Skyway, but let's face it, it's basicly a ski lift.

Now a gondola with a whole bunch of people in it could go from Fantasyland through Tomorrowland and over to Hollywood Pictures backlot...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by inav
    ...I think they should fix the tower in the matterhorn next time they need to do a rehab on that ride(ex 1 or two month rehab) there so when(and if) they do put it back in the tower will be ready. ...
    They also filled in the tunnels that the skyway cars travelled through. I don't think there's any hope of this ever coming back.

• Banned User

The Skyway was a great attraction that needs to come back. You went over the crowds, saw great Disney views (don't pay attention to the roofs!), and most importantly, it added a whimsical touch to the park. The Towers could have been decorated or painted to match the themes- that's bull if they can't. Add some nice music, enforce stronger rules, and create a better system! Come on guys! We are in the 21st century now! Disney can create a hell of a ride! I'm counting on you Disney; don't fail me like you have these past few years......dream away.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast