Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyway Question

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Skyway Question

This will seem a bit random but I have a question.

The Skyway’s wires were supported by those massive, eyesoric towers. When they took out the Skyway obviously they took out the towers. But on the ground where a tower used to be, is there any mark or sign that it was there?

Nope, no marks at all. A lot of them were surrounded by planters so planting a bush or two pretty much covers up the footprint.

• Banned User

The Fantasyland towers were very ugly IMO they were not completely "solid". They had the "holes" in between parts of them. Hard to describe but you know what I mean.

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!
    i think the top of autopia was the tomorrowland skyway loading station..not sure..its what ive been told
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    The Fantasyland towers were very ugly IMO they were not completely "solid". They had the "holes" in between parts of them. Hard to describe but you know what I mean.
    Yes, the towers were ugly! Whenever anyone talks about brining them back, I always wonder if they have forgotten this fact.

One of the towers used to be where the outdoors queue line for Mr. Toad is currently.

• Who's your DaddyB?

Funny, I never noticed the towers... even looking at pictures to this day from my recollection I don't remember seeing them. I guess I only ever saw the buckets themselves and completely blocked the towers from my conciousness. Perhaps I always over romanticized them. I just miss the dang things like crazy.

I was told the skyway loading area in Tomorrowland was the stairway behind the 'hatmosphere' shop... the stairway that goes nowhere. Funny how I don't recall (from personal experience) where that was, either!
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Banned User

Lol that stairway in TL that goes to nowhere is weird.

Yes, it's above the Hatmosphere. The buckets used to stop there.

The Fantasyland Towers were the ugliest, while the Tomorrowland towers were completely "solid" looking.

• U. B. Bold

Have to say that I miss the ride...
    But not those fugly towers.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Pictures of the Tomorrowland station anyone?

• Banned User

The TL station can be seen in a photo on the SaveDisney.com Tomorrowland photo essay. Go under theme parks, bottom of the page, you'll see a photo essay link. Click.

www.visionsfantastic.com has a lovely Skyway video.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    For the hundreds of thousands of people who've been skiing or snowboarding it's not really a thrill but it's too bad it can't go from Fantasyland over to Mickey and Friends...

I'd ride it again then. But it would not be worth it to resurrect this from Yesterland, even with Tokyo's automatic doors and sealed windows, I'm not really too sad to see it go.

• My cuties!

I have to say the uniforms/costumes of the CMs at the Tomorrowland loading station in the 80s had to be the worst ever -- the baby blue polyester with the patch pockets sewn on the front of the pants! I wish I had a picture!

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    For the hundreds of thousands of people who've been skiing or snowboarding it's not really a thrill but it's too bad it can't go from Fantasyland over to Mickey and Friends...
    OmG!! That would be so awesome!! Take the skyway directly to the parking stucture! Great Idea CA!

--Jonathan

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI
    OmG!! That would be so awesome!! Take the skyway directly to the parking stucture! Great Idea CA!

Thanks

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    By the way, you know how the DL Railroad was planned as all encompassing when Disneyland opened, it took you all the way around the whole place... with stops along the way... plus the skyway and to a lesser degree the Main St. vehicles were put in place to move guests through the park. The monorail connected to the DL Hotel in the 60s, this elevated train was built around the original MK hotels at Seven Seas lagoon.

Then Walt died.

But dont you guys think Walt might have liked to have all his WDW hotels and later DLR hotels connected by monorails, steam trains, peoplemovers, skyways, etc etc etc?

I mean, the idea kind of died with him, at WDW the train was more of an "attraction" than useful transportation, as it only had stops in AL/FL and Main Street until Mickey's BirthdayLand opened in the 90s.

So why is it Michael Eisner relies on those horrible trams and expects people to walk everywhere or to take "motor coaches" aka buses all around Disney World...

Walt Disney was trying to demonstrate better ways of moving people around, not just entertaining them... I think with the state of things, they let him and his vision down by pulling out the PeopleMover and letting the DL monorail deteriorate...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast