Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

New article hits it on the head regarding Pressler, Harriss

http://www.juiceenewsdaily.com/0505/...sney_look.html

The park's management team of the mid-1990s was a tremendous source of contention to many Disneyland fans and employees. Headed by executives Cynthia Harriss and Paul Pressler, each with a retail marketing background, Disneyland's focus gradually changed from attractions to merchandising. The leaders came under increasing criticism for a host of cost cutting initiatives and profit boosting schemes.

Under their direction, few new attractions were built and many were closed down. Shops that once carried a variety of items themed to their locations now carried general Disney character products. Themed restaurants and shops were closed and replaced by outdoor vending carts which caused crowds to clog walkways. The decision to remodel Tomorrowland, derided by some fans, was attributable to Pressler, as was the closure of a great many popular attractions within the area. Dewitt "T" Irby, a retired U.S. Army officer hired as facilities manager, was blamed for the destruction of much of the tooling and attraction components in storage in the backstage areas in an effort to streamline operations as recommended by outside consultants.

After nearly a decade of deferred maintenance, Walt's original theme park was showing visible signs of neglect. Paint was peeling off buildings, burnt out light bulbs, which were once replaced before they could burn out, were so numerous as to make the facades they outlined look like toothless poor relations of their counter parts on reruns of the various Disney TV shows. Disney purists such as Internet columnist Al Lutz decried the perceived decline in customer value and park quality, and railed for the Pressler regime's dismissal.

In 2003, both Harriss and Pressler stepped down to take over operations of national clothing retailer The Gap. Irby stepped down the following year.
    And hope for the future...

Disneyland 2005 and beyond

Matt Ouimet, formerly manager of Disney Cruise Lines, was promoted to assume leadership of Disneyland. Unlike his predecessors, Ouimet was an amusement park fan and had worked summers in Disneyland in his youth. Praised by Disney fan sites for his success in building the Cruise Lines, Ouimet quickly set about reversing negative trends, especially with regards to cosmetic maintenance and a return to the original infrastructure maintenance schedule, in hopes of restoring the good safety record of the past. Much like Walt Disney himself, Ouimet can often be seen walking the park during business hours with members of his staff. He wears a cast member name badge and welcomes comments from guests.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Hooterville, USA

Good article.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    Hey, if Matt needs a bigger budget for attractions, a LOT of money could be made by adding a Paul and Cynthia dunk tank at the park. Heck, throw in Eisner, and people would camp out overnight to be the first in line.

• Minion

Good read! If I ever see Matt walking the park, I will shake his hand, and give him a hug if he does not run away.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Right behind ya, Dizzyphile, ducklin'! I'd like ta do a lot WORSE ta them same 3 goomers, my own dang self!!!

• Metal Head

The problem with them wasnt them it was the yokel that hired them. He should know what works and what doesnt. He made horrible decisions, yet he made a great bonus. :confused:
    How much longer will it take
    For the world to see.
    We should learn to live
    And simply let it be.
    Bloodstone, bloodstone.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I agree with you, Metal god. And you know, Harriss and Pressler were really great when they headed the Disney Stores. As soon as they left, the stores turned to crap. It was a stupid idea to put retail people in the top position at one of America's most beloved theme parks.

That article should have made headlines about 5 years ago!!

Thanks for sharing, Darkbeer.

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink
    It was a stupid idea to put retail people in the top position at one of America's most beloved theme parks.
    That was Eisner's idea. According to the book, Disneywar, Eisner has this belief that good managers can manage anything. So he takes someone who is good a something, moves them to a new position that makes them fail, and they get the blame. And we all know that he used that same judgment in choosing Iger to run all of Disney. After all, he did such a great job at ABC, NOT!!!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Metal Head

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink
    I agree with you, Metal god. And you know, Harriss and Pressler were really great when they headed the Disney Stores. As soon as they left, the stores turned to crap. It was a stupid idea to put retail people in the top position at one of America's most beloved theme parks.

That article should have made headlines about 5 years ago!!

Thanks for sharing, Darkbeer.
    Also , being and Angels fan, I believe Pressler taking over the team and keeping Erstad played a big part in the world series win. :devil:
    How much longer will it take
    For the world to see.
    We should learn to live
    And simply let it be.
    Bloodstone, bloodstone.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    That was Eisner's idea. According to the book, Disneywar, Eisner has this belief that good managers can manage anything. So he takes someone who is good a something, moves them to a new position that makes them fail, and they get the blame. And we all know that he used that same judgment in choosing Iger to run all of Disney. After all, he did such a great job at ABC, NOT!!!
    1) It was also Michael Eisner's idea to promote Rasulo and Ouimet.
    2) The only time ABC struggled was from 2001-2003 (and just because they overaired Millionaire). They had Drew Carey Show, superhit 'Millionaire', Spin City, Dharma and Greg, NYPD Blue, fanfave Alias, and many other popular shows. Currently, they have megahits Desperate Housewives, Lost, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Grey's Anatomy, Boston Legal, and other hits such as According to Jim, Rodney, Alias, Hope & Faith and Supernanny. In there recent upfront, all of their new show previews got great reactions. So I'd say he did do a great job with ABC (also considering he was already at ABC when other hits were there such as Home Improvement, TGIF, and other shows).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Good point Askmike1. Maybe Eisner can get a job with a network. That's probably where he should have gone 15 years ago!

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

I am really holding out hope that I can meet Matt during the 50th Merchandise Event. if only for a second so I can say THANK YOU! I may also ask him to share his secrets with Al Weiss out at WDW but I don't wanna push my luck or leave him with a bad impression of a "crazy guest"
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Minion

ORDDU: From what my sisters and I have heard, Michael Eisner hates LOST and didn't want to do much promotion on it. But this was one time that--depsite his personal tastes--something became bigger than him and even ran over him to become a huge hit!

ORGOCH: Maybe it's ol' Mikey, hisself, who's behind all the bad things happenin' ta folks on that dang island!! Bet he's the invis'ble critter they got hidin' behind trees!!

• Rock Star Minion

Nothing I haven't heard before, from Al. Almost word for word.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    It's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but Cynthia Harriss did save the explorer canoes from being closed permanently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast