• living to haunt

Mystery Door on Main St.

This has probably been asked before, but I tried looking it up and lost my way in the millions of posts. When we were at the park last weekend we stopped at one of our resting places and had a cup of hot chocolate. The spot is the stairs and front porch that is on the right side of Main St. as you are walking into the park. There are chairs and a bench there for sitting but it hit me...what was behind the door? As I walked up and down Main St. all weekend - Three grandkids, 4 lockers, Christmas a week away you do the math - I noticed no other door that did not lead into a store. Every door and window was either a store entrance/display or was on the 2nd story.

Now I say it leads somewhere, but hubby says it is just a facade to give Main St. USA a front porch sittin area. (Insert major redneck here) Either way I would love to know which it is.

Thanks

Love the whole red and green Christmas holiday set up on the site! Very nice job!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Re: Mystery Door on Main St.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that was the entrance to the lingerie shop that was there a long time ago. The chairs were put there so the men could wait outside.
    Mike

• Santa Barbara, CA

If it's the porch with the bench and chairs on the house facade, that was the (Ruggles)China Cabinet in the 1956 souvenir guide. Then in an early viewmaster reel, there was a wax gramma dummy in the rocking chair. The door needs to stay closed as it is higher than street level and would have to be connected to a raised area inside. A dummy door as I recall.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Cousin Orville makes an excellent point regarding the above-street level entrance. At least in recent years, this would render the space unusable to the public unless a ramp was installed.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by ladydragon55 View Post
    As I walked up and down Main St. all weekend - Three grandkids, 4 lockers, Christmas a week away you do the math - I noticed no other door that did not lead into a store. Every door and window was either a store entrance/display or was on the 2nd story.
    Main Street has several other dummy doors as well. For example, the Disneyland Casting Center door.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Before it was the china shop, it was the "Wizard of Bras". mcow1 was right; it wasn't proper for men to go in there so they'd wait outside on the porch.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Mouse Lounge Podcast Host

The porch was also utilized and may still, as an elevated platform for the Barbershop Quartet to perform. Admittedly I haven't seen it utilized as such for many years, but in a 1962 episode of the Wonderful World of Color, "Disneyland After Dark" the harmonious foursome perform on the 'stage'.

• Hooterville, USA

It's a great viewing site for the parade.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

I like to refer to it as the Never Unoccupied Chair, because it never is. I've only managed to sit in it once.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    I like to refer to it as the Never Unoccupied Chair, because it never is. I've only managed to sit in it once.
    The three days we were in DLR it was always occupied by a little old lady with a stroller.. hah..

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by ladydragon55 View Post
    This has probably been asked before, but I tried looking it up and lost my way in the millions of posts. When we were at the park last weekend we stopped at one of our resting places and had a cup of hot chocolate. The spot is the stairs and front porch that is on the right side of Main St. as you are walking into the park. There are chairs and a bench there for sitting but it hit me...what was behind the door? As I walked up and down Main St. all weekend - Three grandkids, 4 lockers, Christmas a week away you do the math - I noticed no other door that did not lead into a store. Every door and window was either a store entrance/display or was on the 2nd story.

Now I say it leads somewhere, but hubby says it is just a facade to give Main St. USA a front porch sittin area. (Insert major redneck here) Either way I would love to know which it is.

Thanks

Love the whole red and green Christmas holiday set up on the site! Very nice job!
    It was a Lingerie shop. Known as the Wizard of Bras!

I'm not even joking!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Lowering Expectations

Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below: