• Hiding from the Sheeple

50th Merchandise Event Changed AGAIN!

Posted today on disneygallery.com:

FESS PARKER WINE COUNTRY INN & SPA EXPERIENCE - Thursday, July 14, 2005

It is with regret that we announce the cancellation of the Fess Parker Winery package. We frankly did not get enough Guests registering for this add-on package and so the decision was made to cancel it and provide full refunds to those who had signed up. This was an exciting opportunity but we realize that there were just too many offerings to choose from and so we will look at offering it again in the future. Thank you for your interest in this package.
    This is another glowing example of how poorly this event is planned. I am saddened to see the numerous troubles associated with such a milestone. First, they under estimated the demand for the higher priced packages. Second, they removed a number of the cheaper packages and then added to the number of attendees in the much hyped "exclusive" packages (and attempted to get away with it). Third, They over estimated the number of guests who wanted the Fess Parker experience. The diluting of the overall experience is from Special Events inability to come up with a solid plan and stick with it. As we have seen in the past, complicated pricing schemes and micro-events contained in one overall theme is a recipe for disaster.

The 50th event should have been 100% planned prior to being placed on sale. The evolution of the event with cancellations and additions is not how professional business is conducted. It is a true disservice to Disneyland during this important time. I for one think the experience for Fess Parker would have been wonderful but it is simply not the time nor place for it. Certainly, Mr. Parker should be invited to participate in events at Disneyland. Everyone at Disney seems to forget that this is the birthday celebration for Disneyland Park (not for WDW, the Disneyland Hotel, Fess Parker, Mickey Mouse or anyone else). I would prefer to see an event that was well thought out and planned around the central theme of Disneyland.

What do others think? My opinion, Event Services should have anticipated demand, remained firm on their packages and honored the experiences they have promised without regard for profit or loss. Is this truly about the customer and the loyal fans or about the dollars they hope to extract from us. Seems to me the magic is lost...

• insufferable know-it-all

Wow, makes one pine for those halcyon days of the Pirates event......

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Wasn't Me!

My other half works in special events for the park.

Not only is there a serious lack of planning but several of the management team are no longer with the company. In fact there are no more special event managers in the park like there used to be.

The event the night of May 4th aparently was the worst of them all! I was told there was a TOTAL lack of organization at all. My poor guy worked a total of 38 hours on the 4th and 5th! 22 of them in a row!

There are some serious problems in special events......Lets just put it this way....one of the managers argued with my guy telling him that Sleeping Beauty's Castle was ToonTown!!!!!!!

How good can a management team be if they cant even tell you where they are?

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverGrow Up

Not only is there a serious lack of planning but several of the management team are no longer with the company. In fact there are no more special event managers in the park like there used to be.

The event the night of May 4th aparently was the worst of them all! I was told there was a TOTAL lack of organization at all. My poor guy worked a total of 38 hours on the 4th and 5th! 22 of them in a row!

There are some serious problems in special events......Lets just put it this way....one of the managers argued with my guy telling him that Sleeping Beauty's Castle was ToonTown!!!!!!!

Wow, interesting NGU... this explains a lot!!

--Jonathan

• The one, the only...

It just shows what happens when there are people who are "marketing people" running the show. If people who loved Disneyland and had a feeling for the place, none of this would have happened. The disorganization shows that outside management came in, who did not know what they were doing, and made this "celebration" a nightmare.

This is like the difference of throwing a "Happy Birthday" party, where the concern is that the guest of honor be truly honored and the guests are pleased, and throwing a Tubberware party to see how many people will come to buy something. Nobody is concerned that people are pleased, just with how much merchandise is sold.

We can hope that someone realizes this stupidity and gets someone in there that truly cares.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverGrow Up

This explains a lot! My sympathy to your other half. I had friends who were stuck there for lengthy hours as well because of the problems. Thank god we still have some cast members who care and want to deliver a truly great experience to guests.

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

of the May 4th event I can say this (and I worked as an event Host that day for 17 hours straight). The party went off quite well. I admit there was a certain amount of disorganization, but I can honestly say that a good time was had by ALL and I did not hear of any of the celebs or other hosts complaining about disorganization. What I CAN say is that the event as a WHOLE (may 3,4, AND 5) was suprizingly disorganized. I remember going to the host check-in at the grand on the 3rd and being totally taken back by the fact that the event "administrators" couldn't even tell me what time the block party bash premiere was...it was the only event on the night of the 3rd and they didn't even know simple and basic fact! I had to go on the cast portal and research it myself!
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

AP2CM, thank you for your thoughts and insights to this. Of course, I should remind everyone that sometimes things go just as planned. I obviously have a wonderful time at the park and that is why I keep coming back. I think Matt and Greg have fixed so many things, that these few examples of bad show are more evident.

We were going to call Special Services for a guide/host for July 17th. With the number of VIP's and celebrities in attendance, do you think that there will be enough left for hire as well (I intend to call 30 days out). Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks!