• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

New Year's Eve...How bad is it?

My friend asked me how bad is it at Disneyland on New Year's Eve. She's thinking of going with her boyfriend. I've never been there on that day so I can't really give her a good answer. Anyone have experience on this day? What time should she get there, etc?

Thanks!

• Mouse Lounge Podcast Host

Re: New Year's Eve...How bad is it?

I was there last year. It was absolutely nuts...in a good sort of way. If you go expecting that it will be elbow to elbow most of the day and just roll with the frenetic energy you will have a great time. This is NOT the day to attempt a languid relaxed day at the park.

I can't stress enough: Arrive at the parking structure AT LEAST one hour before park opening. That's probably 7am. The lines will likely still spill out well into the esplanade. But, once in the park the crowd disperses quickly and you'll have an easy time of it the first hour. Just don't waste time having a leisurely breakfast. Hit the slow loading attractions that are high on your list. With kids? Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight, the Carousel. No kids, book it to Space Mountain then criss cross the park and ride the other two Mountains, HMH, and PotC.

Cool your jets in the afternoon watching live shows, the Disneyland Band, ride the Mark Twain, and maybe take a break in the mid-afternoon away from the park to recharge your batteries for the night's festivities. Don't miss the parade, Fantasmic! or the Fireworks.

• Circle of Ancients

We went last year and it was absolutely packed. About all we ended up doing was walking down the right side of Main Street , but behind the buildings so it ruined some of the magic for us, though it was neat to see where we ended up ...over by the exit of Space Mountain. Then we walked around the back side of DL long enough to get some hats and horns from one of our favorite CM's Captain Josh who was working right underneath the Brawny sign in the ranch area. The we headed back out to see the fireworks but got herded down the opposite side of Main Street but behind the bulidings again and ended up by City Hall where we were able to see the smoke of the fireworks but not the actual fireworks! And this is weird..but it seemed strangely quiet for a NYE celebration , like people were afraid to really whoop and holler or something! It wasn't a horrible night , but it wasn't the most fun we've ever had on NYE either and I probably wouldn't do it again. That's just my experience though...maybe others have had better there on NYE! I'd just rather visit DL at other times of year from now on when it's as fun as I expect it will be!

• Minion

We've been going every year for about 8 years. It will be PACKED. Be in the park before 10am. The park will close by noon. It is very likey it will not reopen (if it rains in the morning/afternoon, the park may not hard close til 6pm. Don't expect to hit all the rides, lines will be long. Its fun, but usually we just hang out and people watch. If they cannot handle heavy crowds, this is not the place to be. DCA is slightly less crowded.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I was thinking of going...I think I might pass.

• Minion

I've gone before and it sucked. It was way too crowded to enjoy anything. Even walking from one location to another was a chore. Unless you plan on sitting on a bench and not moving then you will be fine. Otherwise expect to me bumped into, pushed, attacked by strollers and various other nasty events.

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    My friend asked me how bad is it at Disneyland on New Year's Eve. She's thinking of going with her boyfriend. I've never been there on that day so I can't really give her a good answer. Anyone have experience on this day? What time should she get there, etc?

Thanks!
    How bad it is depends on what your expectations are, really. I didn't go last year and the year before I went to DCA, but I went to DL for NYE '00-'04 and had a fantastic time each time.

Yes, it'll be wall to wall people. No, you won't get to do a ton of rides. But the atmosphere is festive and people are generally in a great mood. It's the ONLY day I don't mind large crowds - that's part of the New Year's fun, for me. It may have helped that I was with a group of friends and we didn't mind waiting in line - we chatted, had fun, tag-teamed snack runs and didn't worry too much about what would happen. We just went with the flow. The only thing we had to do was stake out a spot for fireworks.

I probably wouldn't go if it were just my DH and me. But for a group of 4-6 people, it was great.
    She did it!

• Minion

We do it like Spidergirl. This year we will have 15 people. We will just take it slow, and easy. We know to bring all our jackets, although I knw I usually end up buying a new sweatshirt regardless. It will be a fun day. But we will spend more time with each other.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Super saucy pixie!

3 words...
    Just... plain... nasty.
    If you think the 405 is bad during rush hour, wait till you experience Disneyland on NYE!
    This is not to say it isn't fun, but if you're going to go, don't plan on riding much, or even doing much. It's more of an atmospheric thing than a typical Disneyland day. I still had fun the years I was there, but it is well and truly nasty- population wise.

My sister and I traveled from Buffalo, NY to be in DL for New Year's, and it was indeed crazy as others have mentioned. I wouldn't do New Year's Eve again, but I would definitely go around that time.

Be patient with the walls of people and cross your fingers for good weather (last year was freezing and pouring rain most of the day). Be careful, though. My sister got sick at 10pm and we had to leave the park. It was so crowded, and people completely disregarded the roped off areas for people to walk, that we almost got trampled, and she almost passed out. I was really frightened that she wouldn't make it to first aid or back to the DLH. It was scary that there wasn't better enforcement, because it is a fire hazard to have people standing and sitting without any clear path to exit.

That was my only problem. Just be prepared to face the crowds and without high expectations other than enjoying the atmosphere and festivities, it should be a lot of fun.
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

Thanks everybody for all your feedback. I'll make sure to tell my friend of the good and bad about going to Disneyland on New Years Eve.

• Feeling LOVED

Have you thought about going to DCA instead for NYE? I know it's NOT Disneyland...but it is still fun with lots of music and a fun atmosphere.. It's not as packed but still fun. We did NYE last year but didn't get there until almost 10:00 we got in no problem...had a late dinner at Village Haus...and then went over to NOS and got our spot for the 1st Fantasmic of the new year. I enjoyed it....but it still was crowded.
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• Minion

I went a few years back and it was horrible then! I can't imagine how it is now. When I went it took over 45min just to walk from splash to about the tiki room. And we were only there for the countdown!

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2dzneboys View Post
    Have you thought about going to DCA instead for NYE? I know it's NOT Disneyland...but it is still fun with lots of music and a fun atmosphere.. It's not as packed but still fun. We did NYE last year but didn't get there until almost 10:00 we got in no problem...had a late dinner at Village Haus...and then went over to NOS and got our spot for the 1st Fantasmic of the new year. I enjoyed it....but it still was crowded.
    Well it's not me that's going. I'm blocked out that day I believe so I'm not going to bother. But I can offer that up to my friend too.

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Well it's not me that's going. I'm blocked out that day I believe so I'm not going to bother. But I can offer that up to my friend too.
    It's a good option because you can ring in the New Year with champagne.
    I did that for NYE '04. Not quite the same festive feel as DL, but still quite fun, IMO. But then again, sometimes fun is what you make of it, you know?
    She did it!