Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Fantasyland guy

Fantasyland update: Four new updates before april!

Hi Everyone,

I am here yet again to let you know what some of the Fantasyland managers have been mentioning about possible changes and closures coming to my favorite land. Some Fantasyland attractions will undergo refurbishment starting in January. Below is a list of these possible changes with some updates about the rides. I just wanted to point out that some of these changes are not set in stone yet and might get pushed to another date.

Current Closure List:
    Dumbo – January 8th – January 17th
    This is on the official Disneyland calendar. Currently scheduled, Dumbo will be undergoing a regular refurbishment with possible updates to the software programming. Although the software update is not fully a reality at this point, it could affect the hourly counts of the attraction allowing more guests to ride. One of the biggest problems cast members face with this ride is the unloading of handicap guests. Unlike “King Arthur Carrousel,” Dumbo does not stop in the same location it started at. This forces Slow moving handicap guests with wheelchairs to exit their Dumbo and walk around to the other side where their wheelchair is located. This possible software update will fix that problem because Dumbo will stop exactly where it started allowing the line to move more quickly as CM’s no longer have to wait for these guests to exit.

Matterhorn – 2 week’s in January
    The Matterhorn might go down for an unknown two-week period in January to replace a section of the track on the lift hill that was not done in the last refurbishment. This is not on the official Disneyland calendar and might get pushed to a later date. The recent Matterhorn refurbishment involved mostly “behind the scenes” work, like track replacement. There were three changes I am aware of that effect the Cast Member operation of the attraction.
    1) Dispatch Console - They added a dispatch console to both A-side and B-side of the mountain right before the sleds go onto the lift hill. Just like with Space Mountain, cast members are now required to dispatch the sled into the mountain once they have checked all safety harnesses to insure they are all secured around the guests.
    2) Unload Console – They added an unload console to both sides of the mountain as well. This allows a cast member to ensure all guests are out of the sled before it cascades into the next section. This console can be disabled when this station is not manned making the unload section operate as before.
    3) New intrusion detection system – They installed more cameras in the mountain to keep track of the guests. Tower can see more then ever before. If a guest is detected by the system as intruding into an area were they shouldn’t, the system notifies the tower and will show the camera to the operator.

Mr. Toads Wild Ride – February 19th – March 29th
    I’m excited about this as it is officially on the Disneyland calendar. The ride vehicles are getting some TLC. The cars will be getting new motors, new paint, wheels and anything else that needs to make sure that the fastest dark ride stays that way! The vehicles will be the same, but rebuilt basically making them new.

Alice in Wonderland – Unknown regular refurbishment
    Alice will be down for a bit. The date is currently not set, however the TLC will be completed before April and spring break.

Peter Pan – 2008
    I reported a year ago on MC that Pan might be getting new boats as I ran into the imagineer in charge of the project while I was standing at Pan unload. I know this isn't going to happen before april, but I thought this was good news to share with everyone as this appears to be a reality for 2008! There are two problems with the current boats. First, they really only sit three causing the line to remain long because there are a lot of groups totaling four that currently take up two boats. In addition, the safety bar hits kids on their chin when released while they are at unload. The new boats are still being designed, but rumor has it that they might be able to sit four guests increasing the hourly capacity. If this is the case, look for a long refurbishment of Pan as they will most likely have to replace the track above in order to hold the additional weight.

--
    The Fantasyland guy

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Fantasyland update: Four new updates before april!

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

thanks

• Blood Type:Mint Julep!

When Peter Pan closes I'm sure the lines will STILL be too long!
    Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it the four beers you had at DCA, hmmm?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Thank the heavens! Peter Pan might actually have a shorter line!

Thanks for the info!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Collectively, this list of refurbs will ensure a faster and more enjoyable guest experience in terms of loading times, as well as handicapped and youth unloding convenience. More than likely, new Peter Pan ships will definitely be more fun once they accomodate groups of four...as opposed to three.

Super report, Dude...and well written. Thanks. Can't wait for all of this to happen.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• n/a

About the Peter Pan boats, will having 4 seats really help out that much? The other dark rides can seat four but I still see them send out only 2 or just 1 person in them.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• If We Can Dream It...

Very interesting, thanks for the information.

If they wanted to change the peter pan boats, why wouldn't they just use Disneyland Paris' design and save themselves a few bucks? Not sure how many people those boats can hold but, it has to be more than 4.
    - Horizonsfan

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    About the Peter Pan boats, will having 4 seats really help out that much? The other dark rides can seat four but I still see them send out only 2 or just 1 person in them.
    I was thinkin' the same thing.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The Fantasyland guy

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Thank the heavens! Peter Pan might actually have a shorter line!
    hmm, nice thought but I doubt that. If the line gets shorter, then more people would get in it. at least thats what I think would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    you are correct when it comes to groups of two, it wont be any faster. This update would only help groups of four, like a family of four that would normally take up two boats.

also I would imagine the line could go faster because large groups don't think in threes. Make that fours, and the loading could go much faster.

Well, I take that back, most larger groups will still not be able to figure out their seating arangments, even in groups of four. Look at the loading problems on Alice: CMs get more "all of us" or "a lot" responses to the question "how many in your group" thn with any other attraction. I bet large groups will still not be able to figure out how to sit when it comes to groups of four.

• Banned User

Thanks for letting us know. Fantasyland is my favorite land.

• Koubu Pilot

It's nice that even the dark rides in Fantasyland get some attention (especially for the vehicle redesign for Peter Pan). The funny thing about the dark rides is they don't usually force parties to mix. Even Pooh's six seaters get dispatched with only one person.

• ...TWO BITS!

I've never seen only 1 person on a pooh vehicle... then again, hourly capacity doesn't really matter on that attraction

ANYWAYS, are we talking about Peter Pan boats getting the 2 rows, 2 people per row boat design or somehow a special 1 row, 4 people per row boat design? Just asking cause it wasn't really said...

Would Mr. Toad benefit with a new car design of 2 row, 2 people per row design or is this dark ride so compact that it is only possible for a 1 row car design?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

I've been in mixed parties every time on Pooh.
    The Peter Pan refurbs have always been a tense point at DL. On the one hand, Attractions/Operations would love to up the hourly counts on the attraction. On the other hand, the upgrade would involve quite a bit of tinker(bell)ing with the track, which would take awhile and cost a lot.
    But everything else goes down, so bring it on!

And Mr. Toad is fast enough that it doesn't need the 4 seaters. It's also too small, but a combination of speed and not as popular as PP makes it handle crowds better.

• Minion

Thanks for the update...interesting read...
    "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast