Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• My cuties!

What is the point of the bag check?

Just curious as to what they are looking for? We had some CMs last week who barely even looked in our bags.

• Santa Barbara, CA

The confiscate food and then repackage and sell it in the park.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    To me it's just a placebo to give the illusion that there is some sort of post 9/11 security alert at DLR. From an actual security standpoint.. it's a joke. I think they should just give it up.
    --Jonathan

• My cuties!

From an actual security standpoint.. it's a joke. I think they should just give it up.
    I couldn't agree more! If they were concerned about weapons, wouldn't they use metal detectors??

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries
    They usually don't really look into my bag, but when I went on Monday, they were really anal and the CM really poked through my bag and then asked kinda rudely "What's in there?" pointing to the case my camera is in. I had to show her the camera and let her look in the little black bag. sheesh.

• Disney fans for life!

It's all about the warm and fuzzy feeling that you are suppose to get by experiencing their "high security" check points.

Bottom line is that they are a joke. It is suppose to make the folks feel better about going into the Park and not getting hit by a terrorist, but in reality, the terrorists are much smarter than that. Since they don't have metal detectors or pat-down searches, the terrorists can just carry their weapons in under their coats (while they are wearing them) and walk right in. There is no stopping them if they really want to do it. They are not even slowing them down (except the longer wait that it now takes all of us to get into the Park because of the security tables).

Sorry, just being realistic...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Jeez, I thought it was to make another long line to wait in. It sure hasn't made the lines at the entrance gates any shorter.
    Mike

• The Magics in the details

it's just for peace of mind...PR stuff mainly.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    The confiscate food and then repackage and sell it in the park.
    That's why the food's so bad ! ! !

• Minion

It's a hell of a lot better than having them check the bags between parks, I'm glad they moved it. However most of the time after they check my bag I'm like, "Wow, I feel safe now! SIKE!"

• Who's your DaddyB?

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine
    They usually don't really look into my bag, but when I went on Monday, they were really anal and the CM really poked through my bag and then asked kinda rudely "What's in there?" pointing to the case my camera is in. I had to show her the camera and let her look in the little black bag. sheesh.
    Some people who have really small jobs (and small egos) have to make the most of their authority.

Unfortunately "Security" jobs seem to be a magnet for these sorry folks, in my experience. I worked security for a very short time in college and couldn't take the people I worked for and with. I think I lasted 2 weeks after 'training'. It was a really big deal (for those particular guys) to get a post where you had to carry a nightstick (and be trained and licensed for it), and then just a short step up to carrying a gun. ooooh. ...but that was just my very short experience with a particular company in Northern California in a particular time period. I am NOT saying that ALL people who work security are like that.

I also think that some Disneyland bag checkers sometimes think that they're supposed to be screening people like at the airport. I wouldn't be surprised if someday one of them starts making guests take off their shoes and belts!
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Kirbyshowcase.com

if something did happen and there was no security check points... people would be pissed!
    (insert funny comment here)

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    I don't think this is a big deal, myself. Practically every big theme park uses some sort of checking system--Paramount and Six Flags parks have metal detectors. Disney is trying to get some sort of middle ground. Metal detectors work at parks with lower attendance, but lines that they would create at DL would be absurd. I believe they tested a metal detector system at wdw last fall, and it was simply too much of a hastle. I think Disneyland has an ideal combination of checkers, though--some check very closely, others don't, the idea being that you don't know if you will get the full check or not, and are less likely to try and sneak stuff in, but lines don't move absurdly slowly as they would if every bag were fully checked. I think that by and large, they just want guests to feel safe. I know Disneyland security watches suspicious people, anyway, so if you show up wearing a trenchcoat in July, you are likely being watched. For a lot of people, the mere presence of security is enough to deter anything (obviously not full-scale terrorists, but moreover people just trying to "pull something"). It's kinda like when you are in a pack of 20 cars and see a cop, and everyone slams on their brakes, even though you don't really have anything to worry about unless you are at the back of the pack. From a practical standpoint, you don't have a reason to slow down, but you do anyway.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Fireworks Finatic!

Obviously the bag checks are still there for a reason. Disney has to pay extra CMs to do the bag checks. If there really wasn't much of a need for the "appearance" at least of the bag check, they would have been eliminated by now to save the money.

• Yes its that much fun!

For Your Protection!

Ok maybe thats a bit much but...
    they are there just as a deterent so that people think about what they are doing, also we check for things like glass and knifes and other things that might not be considered dangerous but can be harmfull to others.
    As for the over zealous CM well all I can say is sorry.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast