Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Interesting Hypothetical: What if Disneyland Had No Attractions... ?

What might a visit to Disneyland be like if attractions, as we conventionally think of them, did not exist?

I'm interested in the possibility that the Disneyland experience can move in new directions, which reject the existing paradigm that attractions are necessarily the main part of said experience.

I love the attractions, and I want more of them. But, I also think that the Disneyland experience can be so much more.

• Just this guy......

Re: Interesting Hypothetical: What if Disneyland Had No Attractions... ?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    What might a visit to Disneyland be like if attractions
    I guest then it would just be a high end shopping mall. If you don't have attractions then you just have shops and entertainment left.

• Hooterville, USA

Disneyland without attractions would be a new housing tract.

Not a good idea.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    What might a visit to Disneyland be like if attractions, as we conventionally think of them, did not exist?

I'm interested in the possibility that the Disneyland experience can move in new directions, which reject the existing paradigm that attractions are necessarily the main part of said experience.

I love the attractions, and I want more of them. But, I also think that the Disneyland experience can be so much more.
    You are right, the Disneyland experience is so much more. That is the one thing that differentiates Disneyland from the other parks such as Knott's or Magic Mountain. However, it is unfortunate that those parks, to compete with Disneyland, puts in more and more exciting rides and roller coasters. In order to compete with that, Disneyland has no choice but to respond with increasingly exciting and technologically advanced attractions. Unfortunately, this has to happen for Disneyland to be number one in the Southern California amusement park market place.

This hypothetical is intended to open people's ways of thinking.

Two elements immediately come to my mind. Firstly, I envision interactive and improvisational characters everywhere performing continuously-changing and spontaneous skits in Disneyland's gigantic theatre-in-the-round. The Sword in the Stone Ceremony and Laughing Stock and Co. use this idea to an extent, and the existing characters and other cast members do, as well. Secondly, I can visualize organized activities like treasure hunts and other challenges that make a Disneyland visit into a more personal and more social experience that has the guest, himself, confront the conflicts in the various stories and determine their outcomes.

Disneyland also presents a great opportunity to have characters from multiple stories interact with each other and, in so doing, form one big story with a much larger scope.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Even some shopping malls have attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    I guest then it would just be a high end shopping mall. If you don't have attractions then you just have shops and entertainment left.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Anaheim would become a typical California city...nothing but malls, crooked local officials, housing developers, slum lords, hookers, panhandlers, mentally ill homeless people, meth labs, car thefts, burglaries, personal assaults, shootings, stabbings, and little gangstas marking there territory with graffiti and satanic symbles evrerywhere you look. Main Street would become
    Cocain Street, USA.

Universal Studios and Sea World would become the primary vacation destinations.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-24-2006 at 10:24 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

If Disneyland didn't have attractions, it would just be a highly-themed shopping and entertainment center...kind of like Rainforest Cafe (think of all the animatronics that are outside of attractions...they're not really that good-though they would be if they got TLC).

No, Disneyland needs attractions. Because if you rip out attractions, one wouldn't have anywhere to go to really experience the marvelous theming and stories. If Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse was still there, that would be nixed too, as that counts as an attraction. Attractions aren't just rides, they're walk-throughs, too.

The thing that makes Disneyland attractions better than any other theme park's is that Disney is all about detail, theming and story...not just strictly thrills. Visually pleasing and immersive, and then thrill comes secondary, whereas just about any other park relies on cheap thrills.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

There are days that I go to Disneyland and not go on ANY attractions, and I do love it even then. But part of the magic is watching other people enjoy their adventures. Just standing by Big Thunder and seeing that train race by is really satisfying. Watching splash mountain guests drop down into the briar patch. Seeing Dumbo and Mad Tea Cups and the Carousel go round and round. Storybook land boats going into Monstro's mouth.

All of those things I can enjoy without actually being on, and that's part of the magic.

When I was a CM, I loved it not only because I love Disneyland, but I had a role there. I was there to ensure the guest had a fun day. People go to Disneyland because they know they're going to have FUN. People go to the mall maybe to buy themselves something nice and it's satisfying and occasionally fun, but it's not the same. It's mundane and you may end up walking a lot and finding nothing that you want. If the attractions were taken out of Disneyland, well, you'd have Solvang in Anaheim; cute architecture but all you'll do is eat and shop. Fun for a visit once a year max. Even Sleeping Beauty Castle would be gone since that was once a walk-thru attraction.

Disneyland isi already so much more than the attractions, but they're required for the things on the side to work. Architecture, music, and design is what I love about Disneyland. Many will appreciate it right away but some won't realize it's missing until it's gone.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

It'd be called Paul Pressler Park.

• The Ghost Poster.

It would make Disneyland mainly a Shopping area. Disneyland DOES have that special feeling the minute you enter it's gates. (Which DCA lacks in almost every way.) But most of the fun comes from the attractions. It's also what most people like to do most at Disneyland. And when you mean Attractions your taking away Shows, Rides, and other things that are interactive to Disneyland.

" Doombuggies: The scariest transportation around! "

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Walt's Strawberry Farm

Think about it...
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Animatronic

Technically speaking, anything attractive in the park is an attraction. I personally like to picture Disneyland without any ODV carts.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I agree that there are days we can go to the park and not set foot on a single ride or attraction and still enjoy the experience... but I would not want that every time. Removing the attractions in favor of shows, stories and presentations would turn the Disneyland experience into a more passive pursuit. A lot of watching mixed with a little doing. As it is now, Disneyland offers a lot of doing and a lot of watching.

You can show me a train. You can tell me about a train. You can let me climb all over a train and touch everything. I'd rather ride the train.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Blood Type:Mint Julep!

A lower priced AP!
    Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it the four beers you had at DCA, hmmm?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast