Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Self service witchdoctor

Re: Where Dreams Come True

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I got WAY more excited from watching the ancient Disneyland '59 special on the DVD than from watching a clip of the hard-sell, generic commercial that was the Disney Parks Christmas Parade on ABC with the generic castle commercials. Where's the showmanship? Where's the fun? Where's the entertainment? Where's the Walt in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts?
    They are figments of your imagination ol chap. They are in your mind. You are very sick ol' boy with an advanced case of "Retrospectus Obsessus of the Right Brain" or "Blair's disease". You see anything new as a threat and will attack it at will in happy colors. I recommend lots of Dole Whip and a 55 Step program consisting of DL Viewmaster Reels set to Tutti Camarata. Each Reel slowly moves you closer to today. See if you are able to do Ned's magic chant.

RAH..then SUE..then LOW. Then say it fast..now really fast. Don't get mad.

Come back and we'll move on to fingerpainting like Mary Blair.
    ..and take the advice tendered below and thank you for patronizing Shrunken Ned, the jungle's only self service witch doctor.

The "Where Dreams Come True" initiative relates to another thread I started, entitled "The Happiest Places on Earth".

Before Walt Disney died in 1966, when he was developing The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, he insisted that it would be different from his Disneyland.

By 1971, when Walt Disney World opened to guests, it featured a roster of attractions virtually identical to that of the original Disneyland.

I have always been bothered by this lack of differentiation, and the situation seems to only be getting worse, as the opening of the uncannily similar Hong Kong Disneyland demonstrated earlier this year.

As someone who has expertise in both strategic planning and marketing, I foresee major problems if Disney continues down this path. As someone who has a good sense of storytelling and showmanship, I, likewise, find the duplication of Disneyland troublesome.

What can The Walt Disney Company do to allow its international travel destinations to better complement each other in the future?
    Here's a direct link: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16868

I wrote a ridiculously complex analysis of this initiative and my grave concerns regarding several aspects of it, but I realized that the fortitude required to read that posting was even more than I could muster. So, here's a quick, bullet-point series of recommendations, instead:
    • First, market the international travel destinations collectively:
    • Then, use Disneyland Paris' naming scheme to refer to the resort destinations that are situated adjacent to cosmopolitan cities: "Disneyland Los Angeles"; "Disneyland Paris"; "Disneyland Tokyo"; and, "Disneyland Hong Kong". Note that each of these terms refers to the whole of a resort destination and implies that that resort is merely the location of one of a number of magical portals through which one may enter the singular Disneyland.
    • Better integrate the host regions into the marketing of each of these destinations. For example, Disneyland Los Angeles might use a tag-line like "The Magic in the Heart of Southern California" in communications to nearer geographic market segments while those farther afield might receive "The Magic in the Heart of the American West". Similarly, Disneyland Paris might use "The Magic in the Heart of Central France" and "The Magic in the Heart of Central Europe".
    • Market the international travel destinations individually and emphasize in the promotion all that differentiates them from each other.
    • Next, market The Magic Kingdoms collectively and use the powerful trademark, "Disneyland", to do so:
    • Also, tweak the "Where Dreams Come True" tag-line.
    • Individually-speaking, each of The Magic Kingdoms can be referred to as "Disneyland", "The Magic Kingdom", or "The Magic Kingdom of Disneyland", even the one at Walt Disney World.
    • Leave the name, "Walt Disney World", the same, and be sure to never use the abbreviated "Disney World" in order to avoid confusion.
    • Rechristen and reconfigure the castles so that they are all different from each other, i.e. Snow White Castle; Cinderella Castle; Sleeping Beauty Castle; The Little Mermaid Castle; and, Beauty and the Beast Castle.
    • Begin a phased process to better differentiate the international travel destinations by making all the existing attractions one-of-a-kind.
    The current and future earnings growth of each of these meccas is greatly dependent on their ability to draw more guests from farther distances.

One of my other problems with this campaign is that, although it is directed toward young and middle-aged women, the overly feminine sentimentality is alienating to many of the other market segments Walt Disney Parks and Resorts serves.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 12-27-2006 at 09:25 AM.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

"Where Dreams Come True" is a silly statement all together....my dreams have never come true at Disneyland - however, as I have stated before, I am generally pretty happy when I am at Disneyland - hence the true statement "The Happiest Place on Earth". I see that last quote as something that wasn't broken - so why did they feel the need to fix it?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Eh, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Labeling all the Disney parks as the same experience isn't a good idea. Because they're not the same, and are all special in their own way. Sure, marketing will cost more (it does sound like marketing is controling all of Disney right now, isn't it?), but park attendance will make up for it when families decide to travel to this park for these reasons. These marketing people refuse to look at the long term.
    Listen, I am not completely disagreeing with you here...

What I am saying is that having a unified marketing plan with a universal brand that everyone knows saves money, time, and reaches more potential consumers who may be willing to spend a little bit more because they discover they have MORE choices regarding their disney vacation they hadn't considered before. Because everything is on the table... as opposed to having only what one certain resort offers regionally.

There actually is an upside to doing it this way... I understand their methodology here...

Now, do I believe there is a downside... Heck yeah! They are smashing all the upside against the rocks of poor planning and implementation. And they are also taking unnessicary risks which may create brand damage... likely short term though... The problem is it seems to be in a constant state of short term damage... All managment has to do is lift up their foot and they will see that they will achieve results. This is the lesson of Ouimet.

I can't imagine either Disney park having long term damage... It's long term brand image is tied directly with Walt. Walt is a legendary figgure in the collective consious of America.

The downside is far greater than the upside...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

A few dreams have came true for me at Disneyland

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

My only real complaint is the lack of even seeing the dream squad or having people just walk right by them. I would really like to get a dream, because hey, I've spent hundreds of dollars there, lol! Also, the past few months haven't been so good and if only Disney knew....-sigh-
    Each emotion is a different flavor. What flavor do you like?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MaiRulzYou View Post
    My only real complaint is the lack of even seeing the dream squad or having people just walk right by them. I would really like to get a dream, because hey, I've spent hundreds of dollars there, lol! Also, the past few months haven't been so good and if only Disney knew....-sigh-
    This is why I think they need to have made a bigger production out of prize giving... Sweepstakes only work if 1. people know prizes are being given and 2. people actually want the prizes.

There is a reluctance of many guests to want to be singled out - they feel there must be a catch. There is actually a term for it. (In the words of Robert Heinlein, SciFi author and cultural observer - he called the phenominon: "There's no such thing as a free lunch" - TNSTAAFL - if you give something away free some people get insulted by it.)... However, they always like being spectators it when people other than them are being made a fuss over...

I think this is why I wish there was a better prize mechanism in place.
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

I say, if i win ANYTHING in the dreams contest (IE: pins, lanyards, ears, trip to WDw, etc) Id be happy and not even care about YOMD promotion if it failed or succeeded.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I wrote a ridiculously complex analysis of this initiative and my grave concerns regarding several aspects of it, but I realized that the fortitude required to read that posting was even more than I could muster. So, here's a quick, bullet-point series of recommendations, instead:
    • First, market the international travel destinations collectively:
    • Then, use Disneyland Paris' naming scheme to refer to the resort destinations that are situated adjacent to cosmopolitan cities: "Disneyland Los Angeles"; "Disneyland Paris"; "Disneyland Tokyo"; and, "Disneyland Hong Kong". Note that each of these terms refers to the whole of a resort destination and implies that that resort is merely the location of one of a number of magical portals through which one may enter the singular Disneyland.
    • Better integrate the host regions into the marketing of each of these destinations. For example, Disneyland Los Angeles might use a tag-line like "The Magic in the Heart of Southern California" in communications to nearer geographic market segments while those farther afield might receive "The Magic in the Heart of the American West". Similarly, Disneyland Paris might use "The Magic in the Heart of Central France" and "The Magic in the Heart of Central Europe".
    • Market the international travel destinations individually and emphasize in the promotion all that differentiates them from each other.
    • Next, market The Magic Kingdoms collectively and use the powerful trademark, "Disneyland", to do so:
    • Also, tweak the "Where Dreams Come True" tag-line.
    • Individually-speaking, each of The Magic Kingdoms can be referred to as "Disneyland", "The Magic Kingdom", or "The Magic Kingdom of Disneyland", even the one at Walt Disney World.
    • Leave the name, "Walt Disney World", the same, and be sure to never use the abbreviated "Disney World" in order to avoid confusion.
    • Rechristen and reconfigure the castles so that they are all different from each other, i.e. Snow White Castle; Cinderella Castle; Sleeping Beauty Castle; The Little Mermaid Castle; and, Beauty and the Beast Castle.
    • Begin a phased process to better differentiate the international travel destinations by making all the existing attractions one-of-a-kind.
    The current and future earnings growth of each of these meccas is greatly dependent on their ability to draw more guests from farther distances.

I wanted to respond to this... I am not certain I like either campaigns...

Disney Empire has a cultural back lash to it... Empire's are evil...

Not all disney parks are Magic Kingdoms...

But you are on to something... I have been thinking about the branding of the California parks for quite some time... ever since they wanted to change the name of DCA... I came up with a solution to their little problem...

I think they should call the entire Anaheim resort Disneyland and change the park name of Disneyland to "The Magic Kingdom" and drop "Disney's" from "Disney's California Adventure." It would make the parks sub name as follows:

Disneyland: The Magic Kingdom
    Disneyland: California Adventure

This rebranding removes the damaged "DCA" from the public market place, but you can keep the name as a sub brand under the much stronger name Disneyland. Purists will either hate the idea but think it kinda shrewd because it harkens back to Walt's original marketing plan... I think most will shrug it off.

The thing I like about the idea is that it extends "The Happiest Place on Earth" ideal to DCA. People will still call it DCA, probably always will... But I think making that D stand for Disneyland will have a subtle effect on people on how they think about the california parks...

The upside also is it will also make people think more about Parkhoppers, as opposed to daypasses as tickets...

Disney Parks will never be a strong brand name. Let's not kid ourselves... So use WDW and DL to it's fullest, push the names to the forefront. Disney Parks is a sub brand, almost an organization name to promote the parks...

There, I said it... That is about $150,000 dollars worth of branding advice that I just gave away free... You guys really SHOULD HIRE ME! Instead of promoting someone who suggests this idea...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 12-27-2006 at 02:35 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

>>I recommend lots of Dole Whip and a 55 Step program consisting of DL Viewmaster Reels set to Tutti Camarata.<<

I think I'm in love!

• The Ghost Poster.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The slogan "Where Dreams Come True" is jarring and confusing. Disney just spent 15 months reenforcing the "Happiest Place on Earth" slogan by bringing it back globally with the "Happiest Homecoming on Earth" and "Happiest Celebration on Earth" slogans.

Now they have essentially pushed away the slogan that is known world-wide and has become a classic pop-culture reference for "Where Dreams Come True."

Not only is this confusing, it's stupid. Disney saw how strongly the use of nostalgia benefitted them during the 50th Anniversary, so why are they abandoning it?

Disney fans love the nostalgic, much as Walt Disney did. To abandon that for a slogan that reeks of corporate strategy is a bad decision.

"Where Dreams Come True" is soulless, and is too egotistical and proud. Sure, "The Happiest Place on Earth" is very proud, but its true. People are, for the most part, happy at Disneyland. Disneyland attractions, events, and shows are intended to make guests happy. Cast Members are supposed to give a happy guest service experience.

Unfortunately, dreams don't come true at Disneyland. And the dreams Disney are making come true aren't dreams at all. They're just cheap giveaways. Maybe for small children - meeting their favorite princess or pirate is their dream. Or being the grand marshall in a parade is a dream come true...

But small children aren't what Disneyland is all about - its about families. And if you're only targeting the children in those families, then you have a problem.

"The Happiest Place on Earth" suits everybody just well. Everybody wants to be happy - and by going to Disneyland everybody will be happy.

"Where Dreams Come True" only suits some kids. And that means that a lot of Disney's audience isn't going to relate to this marketing campaign or care about it.
    Wonderful post. I agree with you completely.

I think all this " Where Dreams come true " is crazy and stupid. Disney made more money with the Happiest Place On Earth slogan. The Year of a million dreams and the Where Dreams come true slogan isn't even popular. I have often asked people in the parks if they know about the Year of a million dreams event. They either give me " What event? " or a look like I'm crazy most of the time. Sure, It's on the buses. But not everyone uses them.

I think Disney should just stick with the classic. A few small kids get their dream. Oh, Wow. The Happiest place on earth slogan did much better. It's true, when we are at disneyland, We are happy! Where Dreams come true slogan makes no sense. My dream hasn't come true, along with millions of others.
    Last edited by Boo!; 12-27-2006 at 02:43 PM.

" Doombuggies: The scariest transportation around! "

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    The thing I like about the idea is that it extends "The Happiest Place on Earth" ideal to DCA. People will still call it DCA, probably always will... But I think making that D stand for Disneyland will have a subtle effect on people on how they think about the california parks...
    I was just reminded of D.C.A.'s cringe-inducing "A Fun, New State of Disney Magic". That died a quick death. Didn't it?

Most brands use superlatives as word marks, and "The Happiest Place on Earth" certainly has broad recognition. But, the trademark really should be extended from Disneyland (1955) to the other resort destinations, as well.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 12-27-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12