Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where Dreams Come True

Would anyone care to critique the successes and failings of Disney's new global marketing initiative?

Certain aspects of the campaign work, and others are completely misguided.

Please be specific.

• Shubisha

Re: Where Dreams Come True

Most of the campaign was scheduled to start after the holiday season is over. As we saw, they used their Christmas Special to really shout out that they were doing the promotion, and they needed something like that to get the word out. People have had no clue that it's going on and we've used that for a critique, and I don't think people will necessarily run to the parks just because they've now heard about it, but disney needed a chance to get the message out in a widescale like they can with their xmas special.

• The pride is back.

Aren't there enough individual threads on this already?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The slogan "Where Dreams Come True" is jarring and confusing. Disney just spent 15 months reenforcing the "Happiest Place on Earth" slogan by bringing it back globally with the "Happiest Homecoming on Earth" and "Happiest Celebration on Earth" slogans.

Now they have essentially pushed away the slogan that is known world-wide and has become a classic pop-culture reference for "Where Dreams Come True."

Not only is this confusing, it's stupid. Disney saw how strongly the use of nostalgia benefitted them during the 50th Anniversary, so why are they abandoning it?

Disney fans love the nostalgic, much as Walt Disney did. To abandon that for a slogan that reeks of corporate strategy is a bad decision.

"Where Dreams Come True" is soulless, and is too egotistical and proud. Sure, "The Happiest Place on Earth" is very proud, but its true. People are, for the most part, happy at Disneyland. Disneyland attractions, events, and shows are intended to make guests happy. Cast Members are supposed to give a happy guest service experience.

Unfortunately, dreams don't come true at Disneyland. And the dreams Disney are making come true aren't dreams at all. They're just cheap giveaways. Maybe for small children - meeting their favorite princess or pirate is their dream. Or being the grand marshall in a parade is a dream come true...

But small children aren't what Disneyland is all about - its about families. And if you're only targeting the children in those families, then you have a problem.

"The Happiest Place on Earth" suits everybody just well. Everybody wants to be happy - and by going to Disneyland everybody will be happy.

"Where Dreams Come True" only suits some kids. And that means that a lot of Disney's audience isn't going to relate to this marketing campaign or care about it.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The slogan "Where Dreams Come True" is jarring and confusing. Disney just spent 15 months reenforcing the "Happiest Place on Earth" slogan by bringing it back globally with the "Happiest Homecoming on Earth" and "Happiest Celebration on Earth" slogans.

Now they have essentially pushed away the slogan that is known world-wide and has become a classic pop-culture reference for "Where Dreams Come True."

Not only is this confusing, it's stupid. Disney saw how strongly the use of nostalgia benefitted them during the 50th Anniversary, so why are they abandoning it?

Disney fans love the nostalgic, much as Walt Disney did. To abandon that for a slogan that reeks of corporate strategy is a bad decision.

"Where Dreams Come True" is soulless, and is too egotistical and proud. Sure, "The Happiest Place on Earth" is very proud, but its true. People are, for the most part, happy at Disneyland. Disneyland attractions, events, and shows are supposed to make guests happy. Cast Members are supposed to present a happy guest service experience.

Unfortunately, dreams don't come true at Disneyland. Maybe for small children - meeting their favorite princess or pirate is their dream. Or being the grand marshall in a parade is a dream come true...

But small children aren't what Disneyland is all about - its about families. And if you're only targeting the children in those families, then you have a problem.

"The Happiest Place on Earth" suits everybody just well. Everybody wants to be happy - and by going to Disneyland everybody will be happy.

"Where Dreams Come True" only suits some kids. And that means that a lot of Disney's audience isn't going to relate to this marketing campaign or care about it.
    The Where Dreams come true slogan is only for "Disney Parks" advertisements. Then You Have:

Disneyland Park: The Happiest Place On Earth

and then

Disney Parks: Where Dreams Come True!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    The Where Dreams come true slogan is only for "Disney Parks" advertisements. Then You Have:

Disneyland Park: The Happiest Place On Earth

and then

Disney Parks: Where Dreams Come True!

Then why do they have Disneyland-specific merchandise with "Where Dreams Come True" all over it? Why do announcements at Disneyland end with "...at Disneyland, where dreams come true!" or why do the electric road signs at the Mickey & Friends parking structure say "Dreams Come True at the Disneyland Resort"? Why do Cast Members on the parking trams make sure to tell us to enjoy our stay at "Disneyland, the place where Dreams Come True"?

"Where Dreams Come True" is the new slogan. Not just for "Disney Parks" advertisements.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Then why do they have Disneyland-specific merchandise with "Where Dreams Come True" all over it? Why do announcements at Disneyland end with "...at Disneyland, where dreams come true!" or why do the electric road signs at the Mickey & Friends parking structure say "Dreams Come True at the Disneyland Resort"? Why do Cast Members on the parking trams make sure to tell us to enjoy our stay at "Disneyland, the place where Dreams Come True"?

"Where Dreams Come True" is the new slogan. Not just for "Disney Parks" advertisements.
    I guess both slogans are interlocking because I have seen Happiest Place On Earth in the park as well!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Minion

Where Dreams Come True might work as a PR slogan, but only for individual parks - - seeing this fake generic castle matted into commercials from Disneyland is way too weird - - and who wants to go anywhere that soiled corporate Disney logo goes? It's shame that Eisner ruined it, but he did.

I still don't get the random giveaway and I go to Disneyland all the time - - and sadly, the Mickey apartment is an 80's postmodern nightmare only a Disney Development, Marketing or Consumer Products Executive could love.

The Parks need to retain their individuality as destinations, not become generic "products" for a branded marketing machine. it will kill them -- especially Disneyland, which is historically unique and important.

I got WAY more excited from watching the ancient Disneyland '59 special on the DVD than from watching a clip of the hard-sell, generic commercial that was the Disney Parks Christmas Parade on ABC with the generic castle commercials. Where's the showmanship? Where's the fun? Where's the entertainment? Where's the Walt in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts?

Here's the news release from the company:

http://corporate.disney.go.com/news/...sneyparks.html

"Where Dreams Come True" will be Disney's first-ever initiative that fully integrates and encompasses its entire global portfolio of parks and resorts. It is rooted heavily in consumer insight gained through two years of extensive research around the world that reveals a singular view of Disney Parks.
    "We have a great history of listening to our guests and through our research they have told us consistently, whether surveyed in London, New York City, Hong Kong, Los Angeles or Paris, that Disney Parks are synonymous with the idea of 'Where Dreams Come True,' " said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

Consistent global messaging and visual iconography will be centered on the universally understood principle of dreams to ensure emotional resonance with audiences around the world. "This initiative is global in reach from a marketing perspective because of the intrinsic power of the idea. After all, everybody has a dream the notion crosses all cultures, languages and geographies," said Michael Mendenhall, executive vice president, global marketing for Disney Destinations, LLC. "This initiative will speak in one voice to guests around the world...

The creative elements of the campaign leverage the findings of the consumer research insight that identified Disney Parks as transformational experiences.

The unifying theme of "Where Dreams Come True" will be the platform for communications at each Disney Park across the world. And each park will add to the mix messages about events and milestones with special appeal for guests there whether it is the 15th anniversary of Disneyland Paris Resort, the 25th anniversary of Tokyo Disneyland Resort or the continued introduction of the Disney Park experience to a new region of the world at Hong Kong Disneyland.

•   
    • Minion

Here is my take on it...

1. Good concept. The idea of uniting all of disney parks under one marketing slogan fixes one of the biggest problems a marketing office has and helps create a universal ad campaign that will save money in the process. Finding a way to brand "disney parks" is a good idea.

2. Poorly implemented. Instead of branding Disney Parks, they used the concept to overlay existing branding at individual parks that already have a high brand recognition in the market place. This insults and confuses the consumer who is already used to a unified message about their existing park... This means the Disney Park campaign is too little too late.

3. Does little to fix brands that are in trouble. DCA, WDSP, and DAK specifically could use more disney marketing magic than other parks... They could use a little extra promotion, new price and placement also might be in order...

4. The sweepstakes as it currently is set up is confusing, alkward, and bland... Dream squads should focus on prises as being an extension of entertainment, and less an extension of marketing... When you give away prices you are doing it conspicuously, which means you MUST make a big show of it... The way it is implemented seems to quiet... I don't know how that can be done under how it is currently arranged... A roming camera crew and video monitors in selected locations broadcasting the big prizes will help... Of course this is somewhat of a distraction...

It would have been BETTER if prizes where given at the front gate upon entry. A la gift giving machine...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

1. Good concept. The idea of uniting all of disney parks under one marketing slogan fixes one of the biggest problems a marketing office has and helps create a universal ad campaign that will save money in the process. Finding a way to brand "disney parks" is a good idea.
    terrible concept, EACH disney resort is supposed to be a unique vacation experience. yes they all have several of the same attractions, but they also have very different ones and should be marketed as such. these generic disney park ads are only for the us parks anyway. they don't include paris or tokyo or HK. while I like the year of a million dreams idea I hate the disney parks promotions. go back to marketing WDW and DLR.

• Self service witchdoctor

Capital idea ol' man. Generics, it's the wave of the future. Just like in the Queen's Medical Core back in '22. One bandage fits all. Uniformity. Nothing as refreshing as waking up to mediocrity! I love the smell of Coupons in the morning.

• Banned User

Bad idea. Disney should just have left Disneyland Resort- The Happiest Place on Earth. It gets on my nerves and I hope that its apparent failure ends up giving Jay Rasulo the boot.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    terrible concept, EACH disney resort is supposed to be a unique vacation experience. yes they all have several of the same attractions, but they also have very different ones and should be marketed as such. these generic disney park ads are only for the us parks anyway. they don't include paris or tokyo or HK. while I like the year of a million dreams idea I hate the disney parks promotions. go back to marketing WDW and DLR.
    I disagree with you... It is actually why more money was spent on developing WDW over DLR... And promoting WDW as a vacation destination... DLR became the ugly stepchild in the 90's, mostly because of this idea.

Marketing each park as unique vacation experiances more than doubles (in some cases triples) your marketing costs nationally, despite having to market through the same channels... so rather than run multiple campaigns a marketing office needs to only focus on one...

However it should be one that honors and respects the individual parks... This is why I said it was poorly implemented... It would be best if you stick to the brand recognition than try to overlay "Where Dreams Come True" onto Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom... Why because the old marketing line is stronger... However you can keep it the Disney Park's brand tag line...

The one thing I find interesting about this marketing skeme is that it focuses in on the individual CM, which gives examples of the disney differance in ways that is reminisant of the Automobile campaigns of the 80's and 90's... The spokespersons are your workforce and not a disney character like in the 50th... I kinda like that... I just wish they where paid more than I know they are.
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Eh, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Labeling all the Disney parks as the same experience isn't a good idea. Because they're not the same, and are all special in their own way. Sure, marketing will cost more (it does sound like marketing is controling all of Disney right now, isn't it?), but park attendance will make up for it when families decide to travel to this park for these reasons. These marketing people refuse to look at the long term.

The "dreams come true" line I can see working for WDW, but Disneyland? It's always been "the happiest place on earth"! Like MasterGracey pointed out, they just reinforced the idea 50-million times (uh no pun intended)...and now they immediately after such a huge campaign want to screw with it? They should know better, after the success of the 50th nostalgia.

The prizes themselves don't seem to be working out that well.

Okay, so the FastPasses are good, as are the ears and lanyards. But then all of the rest of the prizes are huge ones that are nearly impossible to get. Where are the medium-sized prizes? All I see are extremes here. There's so much potential for ideas for prizes and it's like these people that implemented this whole thing didn't even sit down, think and discuss this thing. The commercials talk about becoming a pirate, or a princess, or whatever...yet all of these things you have to pay for (save the jedi experience-I think that this is the one thing that they truly did right). They aren't prizes, they're more money out of mommy's and daddy's pockets.

And what about those of us who aren't children? Last I checked, that's the majority here. Children aren't the only ones who should be benefiting by this campaign...most of the apparel isn't even designed for them. Heck, even Walt Disney is quoted that things cannot be geared only towards children! So what do teens get? Adults? Seniors? I'll be 20 in less than a month and I would have loved to do that corny princess faire, but I'm "too old". I thought you were never "too old" to do anything at Disneyland! I thought that's the one place where everyone can be a kid! Guess I was wrong...

How about having lunch with Jack Sparrow? Or your favorite princess? Or just outright winning a free lunch all together?! Last I checked, that's only included with the family that gets to spend the night in Mickey's Penthouse. I think just winning a nice lunch at say Blue Bayou would be a great prize. Or how about a gift certificate to anything in the parks? These are obvious prizes to give out!

And then we get to the part about the prizes being handed out themselves. When the dream squad actually does it, it seems like 3/4 of the time, they don't even explain to the people why they are winning anything. Guests either don't know or are terribly confused about the whole thing.

They could have done so much more, and they've only done a 1/4 of what really ought to be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast