Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Animatronic

Re: Adding Will and Elizabeth to PoTC...

While I agree with Disneyland Daddy and Merlin Jones about the film characters and the 3rd Person experience, I can't help but feel glad the entire ride wasn't replaced with plywood flats and themed to a toy.

The Walt loving, theme park loving, kid inside of me would have loved the ride to get plussed such that it was even more immersive, more historical, and more interesting, but I'm also adult enough to realize that modern Americans only like passive experiences which lead the the purchase of toys and have no educational content at all.

I mean what would a parent say when their kid asked "Why does the pirate on the ship have ribbons in his beard?" Would a parent really say "Why that's Blackbeard the pirate captain! History tells us he would tie burning ribbons into his beard to appear extra scary." Thank goodness the actual history is being pulled out of the ride to protect innocent young minds from learning anything. Here, have a plush toy. It's imported from China and sold here with a 20 times mark up. That's all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Yep, POTC is now a just a caricature of it's former self.
    Yes, and now it's more popular than it's been at any time in the last 20 years. Have you seen the lines for Pirates this past year?! They are insane!

Clearly people are enjoying the new additions, word of mouth is out that Captain Jack is now in the ride, and Pirates is the "Must See!" attraction at Disneyland once again.

Just three or four years ago it was a ride that was still fun, but rarely generated lines longer than 10 minutes even on weekends. Not anymore. There may be two or three dozen of us Disney Geeks here on the Internet who "tsk-tsk" and bemoan the changes made to a Walt classic, but our concerns can't be heard over the stampeding tourists now running to get in line for Pirates every morning.
    Last edited by TP2000; 12-27-2006 at 10:29 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    Yes, and now it's more popular than it's been at any time in the last 20 years. Have you seen the lines for Pirates this past year?! They are insane!

Clearly people are enjoying the new additions, word of mouth is out that Captain Jack is now in the ride, and Pirates is the "Must See!" attraction at Disneyland once again.

Just three or four years ago it was a ride that was still fun, but rarely generated lines longer than 10 minutes even on weekends. Not anymore. There may be two or three dozen of us Disney Geeks here on the Internet who "tsk-tsk" and bemoan the changes made to a Walt classic, but our concerns can't be heard over the stampeding tourists now running to get in line for Pirates every morning.
    I agree totally!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Animatronic

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    It's amazing what millions in advertising will do. I suspect they could have added an animatronic monkey which threw pooh and you'd still have lines with that kind of marketing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

^ I have to respectfully disagree bud .

I was pretty impressed with the Sparrow AA's when I went in August and loved the mist effect. Hated the Barbossa AAthough .

I am also very impressed with the animation used to make Jones' face. But else would be expected from someone, such as myself, who loveds to draw and animate things ?

I do miss the old ride format, but was impressed with how lifelike the AA's were.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 12-27-2006 at 12:20 PM.

• Blood Type:Mint Julep!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I personally think Sparrow & Jones & Barbossa characters need to be removed - and a BIG NO to putting in any other 'film characters'. I feel the attraction is being cheapened by this - simply because the attraction made the movie - 36 years later, and not the other way around - personal opinion of course.

When I see Sparrow and the rest of the folks now added to this attraction, I just see their celebrity - I don't see their 'movie character'. So, to me, it just seems like Johnny Depp is 'all over the place' now - not Sparrow or anyone else.
    I do like the additions of Sparrow, Jones, and Barbossa, but what I like even more than that is the enhancements to the ride. The updated lighting and sound and the music that plays after the second waterfall. Everything just looks and sounds better. I don't know the plans for Will and Elizabeth, but hopefully it stops there.
    Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it the four beers you had at DCA, hmmm?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch74 View Post
    I don't like any of the POTC movie stuff in the ride at all. It was bad enough that they changed stuff to make it more PC. Plus, I wonder the same thing as jmuboy - where will they fit in?

Also, are they doing the same thing to the POTC ride at WDW?
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    A shame. Using these characters is turning a successful first-person guest experience into a third-person passive viewing experience by empasizing their tacked-on "story." At best the three movie characters should be confined to one cameo in a prison cell or something that doesn't disrupt the flow of the traditional Pirates experience. Too late now, I guess.

Sadly, it's the E-Ticket version of what was done to Swiss Family Treehouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Yep, POTC is now a just a caricature of it's former self.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I personally think Sparrow & Jones & Barbossa characters need to be removed - and a BIG NO to putting in any other 'film characters'. I feel the attraction is being cheapened by this - simply because the attraction made the movie - 36 years later, and not the other way around - personal opinion of course.

When I see Sparrow and the rest of the folks now added to this attraction, I just see their celebrity - I don't see their 'movie character'. So, to me, it just seems like Johnny Depp is 'all over the place' now - not Sparrow or anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch74 View Post
    I totally agree with your point of view on this whole makeover. I really don't like it one bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    While I agree with Disneyland Daddy and Merlin Jones about the film characters and the 3rd Person experience, I can't help but feel glad the entire ride wasn't replaced with plywood flats and themed to a toy.

The Walt loving, theme park loving, kid inside of me would have loved the ride to get plussed such that it was even more immersive, more historical, and more interesting, but I'm also adult enough to realize that modern Americans only like passive experiences which lead the the purchase of toys and have no educational content at all.

I mean what would a parent say when their kid asked "Why does the pirate on the ship have ribbons in his beard?" Would a parent really say "Why that's Blackbeard the pirate captain! History tells us he would tie burning ribbons into his beard to appear extra scary." Thank goodness the actual history is being pulled out of the ride to protect innocent young minds from learning anything. Here, have a plush toy. It's imported from China and sold here with a 20 times mark up. That's all you need to know.
    Wow, its like I time traveled to 8 months ago. I seem to recall hearing all of these arguments then.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jables View Post
    I do like the additions of Sparrow, Jones, and Barbossa, but what I like even more than that is the enhancements to the ride. The updated lighting and sound and the music that plays after the second waterfall. Everything just looks and sounds better. I don't know the plans for Will and Elizabeth, but hopefully it stops there.
    I just hope they don't mess with the Swamp scene at all. That is my favorite part of the ride.

I think, if anything, Elizabeth will probably be one of the ladies chasing the pirates. I think, if anything, Will would fit in either the battleshipscene (As one of the shadows you see having a sword fight on the wall, and possibly in the burning village scene.

But I obviously could be wrong .

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

The only problem I have with it is there seems to be two captains on the ride. Barbossa and the original selling brides. Two captains, one ship? Adding more, to me just confuses the story line.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hamand View Post
    Wow, its like I time traveled to 8 months ago. I seem to recall hearing all of these arguments then.
    . You probably have .

glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like the changes

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post

AMEN!!

• Minion

Would you guys like some cheese with your whine?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    The only problem I have with it is there seems to be two captains on the ride. Barbossa and the original selling brides. Two captains, one ship? Adding more, to me just confuses the story line.
    No, captain and auctioneer.

And even before the changes, they were different characters.

A few of you may gripe, but you're not in the majority. I also find it amusing that it's mostly men on this board that object to Captain Jack being added in

I love all the new changes, and I can't wait for the Imagineers to go back and tweak those effects that didn't work as well as they liked.

I don't know how I feel about Elizabeth and Will being added in. Nothing has been confirmed about where they would be located yet...Elizabeth cannot replace the redhead! The redhead is just as important an immovable as the autioneer! But I could picture her in the chase scene. No dialogue, and if you have a good eye, you'll notice her. As for Will? I agree that he should replace those sword-fighting shadows on the wall. Euro Disney's PotC has animatronics dueling...I say bring out a rogue Norrington to duel with Will. No dialogue from any of these characters, however.
    Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 12-27-2006 at 01:01 PM.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hamand View Post
    Excellent memory. They indeed were.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast