Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Where does all the water go?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    One is desalinating the ocean and the other is recycling the sewer water (this is actually likely to happen soon from what I have heard).
    The sewer recycling is already happening. Where do you think all the output from Las Vegas ends up? That's right, Lake Mead which happens to feed the Colorado River which is where SoCal gets A LOT of its water from.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    The Submarine Lagoon drains to discharge outfall 3a adjacent to Harbor blvd. near the lagoon filtration plant.

That is straight to the storm drains.

Disney's water drainage report can be found here:

http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/rwqcb8/pdf/01-17-03/5.pdf
    This report is actually fascinating. At first I thought how exciting can an official city drainage report be, but it has some fascinating facts. Apparently Paradise Pier Lagoon has 16 million gallons of water, which is more than Rivers of America and the Sub Lagoon *combined*! Someone really blew it with that one, it just doesn't seem even close to the size of one of Disneyland's bodies of water, yet it contains as much water as the entire Disneyland park. It all comes down to effective utilization and proper scale management.

Splash Mountain's water is only changed out once every 1-3 years, so the next time you get soaked, you may want to think about just how long that water has been around. I guess it's filtered and constantly moving and everything, but still.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by the PDF file
    The Disneyland Resort (hereinafter, discharger), a Division of Walt Disney Company, owns and
    operates two theme parks, Disneyland park and Disney’s California Adventure park at 1313 Harbor
    Boulevard in Anaheim. The parks consist of a number of attractions such as mechanical rides,
    amusement devices, live entertainment, refreshment stands and other food services.
    You know... just in case someone has been living under a rock for the past 51 years and doesn't know what this so called "Disney Land" is that they are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    This report is actually fascinating. At first I thought how exciting can an official city drainage report be, but it has some fascinating facts. Apparently Paradise Pier Lagoon has 16 million gallons of water, which is more than Rivers of America and the Sub Lagoon *combined*! Someone really blew it with that one, it just doesn't seem even close to the size of one of Disneyland's bodies of water, yet it contains as much water as the entire Disneyland park. It all comes down to effective utilization and proper scale management.

Splash Mountain's water is only changed out once every 1-3 years, so the next time you get soaked, you may want to think about just how long that water has been around. I guess it's filtered and constantly moving and everything, but still.

Beyond that, the Sub Lagoon has more water in it than the Rivers of America. Think about how much water is actually *under* autopia.

The water filters at splash work really well before our last rehab the water was brownish and you could not see the bottom of the flume in boat storage. They added a new filter system with hydrochloric acid that keeps the water really clean and it goes through the filtration system all the time

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Ok. This is what I found on the US Environmental Protection Agency website:

The Orange County Water District (OCWD) and
    the County Sanitation Districts of Orange County (CSDOC) propose to
    develop an advanced water treatment plant, pipeline and related
    facilities within the Cities of Fountain Valley, Santa Ana, Orange,
    Garden Grove, and Anaheim. The OCR Project will further process water
    from the County Sanitation Districts of Orange County. The water from
    CSDOC, which is typically discharged into the ocean, will be treated
    through a sophisticated, advanced water treatment process that will
    include microfiltration, reverse osmosis and disinfection. The
    mirofiltration process uses a series of microscopically fine filters to
    remove fine particles, nitrogen, salts, and organic matter that might
    be in the water. The water from this advanced treatment process will be
    of better quality than the current water that is infiltrated into the
    groundwater basin from the Santa Ana River and will surpass (be cleaner
    and better than) the drinking water standards set by the U.S.
    Environmental Protection Agency, the California Department of Health
    Services and other healths and regulatory agencies.

This was a proposal from 1997, and it looks like from other research that I did that this took effect in September 2004.

So next time I go to Disneyland, I think I will buy a Coke.

The Submarine Lagoon drains to discharge outfall 3a adjacent to Harbor blvd. near the lagoon filtration plant.

Oh how exciting!! Now I have something to read on New Years Eve
    Janette

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

From reading this it looks like the drains lead to Anaheim Bay, which I believe is the marshy area between Sunset Beach and Seal Beach. I don't know why they are referring to this area as Anaheim Bay. I think it was called this many, many years ago but not anymore...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post

By "Changed out" I think they mean shut the whole thing down, drain the water from the entire ride and refill. There HAS to be fresh water coming in every day to replace the spillage that occurs throughout a typical day, plus leaks, plus evaporation, etc. etc. I bet they still go through a hundred gallons a day or more of new water coming in. Think about how much water leaves that ride on a typical guest! (I myself had at least two gallons on me a few weeks ago. ) And the Rivers of America has to add HUNDREDS of gallons of water a day. Not to mention the Jungle Cruise. Any water that is splashed or is siphoned away by vegitation or simply leaks in any number of places must be replaced or the water level will sink daily.

Disneyland HAS to be using thousands of gallons of NEW water a day just to maintain their current water levels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12