• We wants the Redhead

Anyone going for the unoffical homeschooling day?

I got an e-mail on my homeschooling group that they are having an unoffical homeschooling at at Disneyland on 1/26/06. Is anyone planning on going? I figure it is a good exscuse to drive down and us our passes...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: Anyone going for the unoffical homeschooling day?

well, we dont' do homeschooling, but that is the weekend of the MiceChat 2 year anniversary blasto'ramak, so we'll be there
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• We wants the Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    well, we dont' do homeschooling, but that is the weekend of the MiceChat 2 year anniversary blasto'ramak, so we'll be there
    Kewl.... We will be there all weekend for sure....
    Janet
    John 3:16

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwgrlup View Post
    I got an e-mail on my homeschooling group that they are having an unoffical homeschooling at at Disneyland on 1/26/06. Is anyone planning on going? I figure it is a good exscuse to drive down and us our passes...
    I just love homeschooling messages! really now look at this from a logical stand point taking your kids out of school to go to DL just how does this fit into education? If you are going to go to DL on a school day just call it as it is, and don't try to justify it by calling it educational.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Beep Beep!

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    I just love homeschooling messages! really now look at this from a logical stand point taking your kids out of school to go to DL just how does this fit into education? If you are going to go to DL on a school day just call it as it is, and don't try to justify it by calling it educational.
    I think the point is for homeschooled kids to get together, I don't think it's justified as 'educational', just a way of socialization of homeschooled kids. I know local homeschoolers usually try to plan trips to science centers as educational field trips.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• We wants the Redhead

My son goes to school in our home, so I am really not taking him out of school. It is a get together for families who homeschool their children. We usually do our lessons for the day, then head out to Disneyland in the afternoon....
    Janet

• Hooterville, USA

I homeschooled my youngest, and DL was part of the curriculum.

In fact my daughter did homework inside the Golden Horseshoe between shows.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• We wants the Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    I homeschooled my youngest, and DL was part of the curriculum.

In fact my daughter did homework inside the Golden Horseshoe between shows.
    I will have to remember that option next time we go... We have used the map as part of our lesson (when DS1 was learning N,S,E,W) it was more fun for him that way... Plus, going to Disneyland is a great motivation to get his work done....
    Janet

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I remember in the 4th grade, back in 1977, when we were studying California history we all got to go on a field trip to Knott's Berry Farm. We were so excited but then we were told that this is an educational field trip of Ghost Town to see how the early Californians lived and that we could not go on any rides. Needless to say we were all sooo bummed out!

The only thing I remember was our guide from Knott's telling us that the way to remember that there is 21 missions in California is that the drinking age is also 21. And I remember the look on my teacher's face as he was saying this! Oh well, serves them well for not letting us go on any of the rides!

I know this isn't about Disneyland but it is pretty funny that we had to go to Knott's for an "educational" field trip.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by HDAlien View Post
    I think the point is for homeschooled kids to get together, I don't think it's justified as 'educational', just a way of socialization of homeschooled kids. I know local homeschoolers usually try to plan trips to science centers as educational field trips.
    Its just that every homeschooler I know ( and I know many) say the same thing, Were going to (fill in the blank) for a field trip. The Op said they go after the lessons for the day, great no problem, a way of socialization of homeschooled kids, great have fun, to be fair no on this message said anything about education or a field trip (that was me who said that) it was just my dislike of the excuses some of my friends give me all the time. I in no way wanted to come across that I think less of the job someone is doing as a homeschooler of there child.
    I am sorry if my post came across as something it was not ment to be.

Bob
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• We wants the Redhead

Its just that every homeschooler I know ( and I know many) say the same thing, Were going to (fill in the blank) for a field trip. The Op said they go after the lessons for the day, great no problem, a way of socialization of homeschooled kids, great have fun, to be fair no on this message said anything about education or a field trip (that was me who said that) it was just my dislike of the excuses some of my friends give me all the time. I in no way wanted to come across that I think less of the job someone is doing as a homeschooler of there child.
    I am sorry if my post came across as something it was not ment to be.

Bob
    To be fair, students in public schools take field trips (some not educational at all) and do not have any type of formal lessons for the day. It is the same for homeschoolers. There are days when we do a field trip (museums, trips, and yes even Disneyland.. ). The wonderful thing about homeschooling is learning does not end once we leave our home. I am constantly pointing things out and using everyday experiences as a learning lesson. I am a credentialed teacher with over 10 years teaching expereince in the puiblic schoos, so I take homeschooling my son very seriously.... You have to admit it would be every kids dream to not have to wait until school break to go to Disneyland. Plus the lines are so much shorter during the week...
    Janet

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Keep in mind that they still haven't put Abraham Lincoln back. But actually the movie that is there can be quite educational. You can point out that Disneyland used to be an orange grove, and then Walt Disney developed it. This can be used to teach how to conserve our current open spaces and prevent them from becoming endless housing tracts and strip malls.