Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• n/a

DL Costumes in the movies

Alright, after watching a Xmas classic this season, A Christmas Story, a old pet peeve came back.

A Christmas Story takes place in the 1940s, but during the parade, a Mickey costume circa 1970s walks by.

Another instance is in That Thing You Do where modern day Mickey and Goofy are in modern Disneyland that is supposed to be in the 1960s.

Anybody notice this stuff, or am I a loser?
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

Re: DL Costumes in the movies

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    Anybody notice this stuff, or am I a loser?
    Nope. I notice that kind of stuff too.

But I think these sorts of things have more to do with the wishes of The Walt Disney Company, than any oversight by the filmmakers in question.

For "That Thing You Do"...Tom Hanks had actually had period costumes made for the Disneyland shots and they looked great (I saw shots of them)...but Disney at the last minute insisted that they use more current models. Probably because Disney was more interested in having "today" represented on the screen about their Park, instead of a "old style" perhaps ugly looking by today's standards...representation. "If you want to film in our Park..."

The same probably occurred in "A Christmas Story." A 1940's Mickey costume would have been one of those truly God-Awful and scary things from the Ice Capades back then, that Disney borrowed when they needed one. So in that case I could easily see why Disney might have insisted on and/or provided the more modern (at the time) Disneyland Park costume.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Yeah, I agree.

Mickey and the others were pretty scary back then...

(especially the 7 dwarfs)

• Disneyland Freak

Haven't seen either film but I would probably notice too. However, it's really just not that big of a deal.

I doubt the creators of either film even thought about different costume styles much less wanted them but have Disney deny them. The probable reason is that the old costumes probably no longer even exist and if they do, they are likely not in working/show order and are probably on display somewhere in private residence or somewhere in the Disney vaults. Then that leaves the issue of recreating them but then that leads to the point of: what for?
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Koubu Pilot

I think the '70s era Mickey Mouse costume is the least disturbing thing in Christmas Story. There is something a little disturbing about the lady leg lamp the father received and the Santa slide edge Mickey out as a little disturbing. Though thinking about it now, did a Mickey Mouse costume ever exist in the '40s?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    Though thinking about it now, did a Mickey Mouse costume ever exist in the '40s?
    Yes. Mickey Mouse costumes first appeared in the 1930s. I know I have some pictures somewhere, but am at a loss as to where to find them. They're rather creepy, remember Mickey used to look a lot more rat like. If I remember correctly they used a lot of make-up. There was even a band that played dressed up as Mickey.

I totally thought I was the only one freaking out over "A Christmas Story!"
    I see that scene and think three things:
    1. How did they get the license from Disney? Because we all know how happy they are to share the likeness of their characters.
    2. Why doesn't Mickey fight back? Darn those crazy-flying monkeys.
    3. I have way too much time on my hands.
    Spoiler
    BURP!

• Minion

That kind of stuff ALWAYS bugs me. More American Graffitti (not a good movie anyway) threw me way out of the late 60's time period by showing someone eating a bag of red label "fried/crunchy" Cheetos - - which didn't exist until the 70's!!! They only had the blue bag "baked/puffy" Cheetos in the 60's!

Just a little side not that back in the 1980's a movie called Spaceballs, Mel Brooks costume is the same as the Male Opera House costume. Just to let you know.

Walt's love of Trains!

• Premium Youngling and

LOSER!

JK. I notice it a lot too

• n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland RR Guy View Post
    Just a little side not that back in the 1980's a movie called Spaceballs, Mel Brooks costume is the same as the Male Opera House costume. Just to let you know.
    Skoorb or Yogurt?
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

"President Skoorb"

Walt's love of Trains!

• Closed Account

Remember, A Christmas Story was a very low-budget film. Obviously, re-creating an accurate Disney costume for the few seconds Mickey's on the screen wouldn't have been money well-spent.

I do think the bigger question, stated previously, is how a Disney character was allowed to be used in an MGM production!

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland RR Guy View Post
    "President Skoorb"
    It's Skroob, not Skoorb. It's made out of Brooks, but not exactly just Brooks spelled backwards.

I've heard that the old Wuzzles costumes have appeared in some movies due to being accidentally being sold years ago and, since hardly anybody remembers the Wuzzles, they've gone mostly unnoticed and have come to be the all-purpose goofy critter costume for birthday party scenes and such. I haven't seen the movie, but I believe Old School (Will Farrell) was one of the movies with an appearance by some Wuzzles. Any confirms on these sightings?
    -Tim

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I do think the bigger question, stated previously, is how a Disney character was allowed to be used in an MGM production!
    It was the early 80s. Disney was trying to get its name back out to the public and Ron Miller thought that allowing other studios use pieces of their back catalogue in tasteful ways was a way to do it. Steven Spielberg was especially guilty of taking advantage of this. Remember the theater scene in Gremlins where they were watching Snow White and singing along with the movie?

That wasn't the first time that other studios used Disney catalogue items. One night I walked into my parents house and they were watching a movie from the late 30s/early 40s. In this movie, there's a scene backstage at a movie theater and, in reverse, you can see "Plane Crazy" (Mickey's first-produced short) being shown on the screen. I wish I knew what this movie was -- IMDB doesn't even show that movie as one of the movies it was featured in.
    -Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast